Author Topic: Nikwax aqueous wax  (Read 3271 times)

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Nikwax aqueous wax
« on: 19:32:49, 19/08/08 »
I've just coated my boots in Nikwax aqueous wax after getting wet feet in the Chilterns today.  Weather forecast said some sunshine and heavy showers. Ha! It was actually drizzle and heavy showers, also very windy. (Good practice, though, for when I go to Scotland in a weeks' time and Wales in about three weeks.)

Are you all users and fans of this stuff, or do you have a preference for something else?  It doesn't seem to be effective for long, and my little brain is thinking if it soaks into the leather when it's wet, isn't it going to get soaked back out when they get wet again?

the coot

Re: Nikwax aqueous wax
« Reply #1 on: 07:45:47, 20/08/08 »
Use it for my all leather boots, works fine. Sub-aqua gear for Scotland needed right now, gills would be a help.

muymalestado

« Reply #2 on: 15:45:54, 20/08/08 »
Usually use Snowcoat.
I think this next one will be the top ...

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:47:39, 20/08/08 »
Not heard of Snowcoat.  Tell me more.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:02:34, 20/08/08 »
I have used Brasher Hillmaster boots with a goretex membrane for the past few years. (Usually get 18 months out of a pair). Never used anything else other than normal shoe polish and have yet to have a wet foot....other than if I go over the top of them in a stream.
Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

muymalestado

« Reply #5 on: 16:15:17, 20/08/08 »
Well HFL, you ain't heard of it because thats not what its called!  That is our pet name for it.

Retrieving it from the shed I see its called Sno-Seal!  Looks like from USA. We get it in Scotland from Tiso.  Been using it for 20 years at least.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Care%20Products/Atsko%20Sno-Seal/Owner%20Review%20by%20Roger%20Caffin/

I would say it is best on leather - not suede or fibre.  It claims to have beeswax.  It is gunky - not liquid.  We use old toothbrushes to apply it.  It darkens leather a bit, but I never would complain about this slight effect.  One can use normal polish over it after it soaks in and is wiped dry.  Best to do it in the sun or in a warm room to really get it into the leather.

I should also say it works very well.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:26:49, 21/08/08 »
Thanks for that information. I'm keen to try Sno-Seal now, after reading the link you provided. 

What a review! I loved the guy's underlying humour. And you don't usually think of Australians and snowfields at the same time, do you?

As for polishing boots, I'm now wondering if it was you I saw in Betws-y-Coed in May? I took this guy to be one of the coffee shop brigade, immaculately turned out, with a pristine multicoloured Goretex jacket on, and I nearly died when I saw his his walking boots. They were so shiny a Guardsman would have been proud of them.

muymalestado

« Reply #7 on: 16:23:58, 21/08/08 »
... was you I saw in Betws-y-Coed in May? .....   so shiny a Guardsman would have been proud of them.

Polish? Maybe now & then.  A shine?  I don't think so.

stevieboy378

« Reply #8 on: 22:35:21, 31/08/08 »
I wear Meindl Burma boots, with Goretex lining, and use Brasher conditioning cream once a month - never had any leaks . . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Mr Sam

« Reply #9 on: 09:01:10, 01/09/08 »
I've started using G-wax instead of my usual tin of Dubbin. Its ok but I still prefer the Dubbin even if the G-wax lasts longer.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy