Author Topic: newbie needs advice on what tent and backpack to buy  (Read 1883 times)

garymaule

newbie needs advice on what tent and backpack to buy

i would like to do the west highland way next year and need advice on what tent and backpack to buy

2 man tent and backpack to carry it along with the rest of kit

any help appreciated

cheers

Mr Sam

Re: newbie needs advice on what tent and backpack to buy
« Reply #1 on: 11:18:15, 27/09/08 »
Well how long is the trip? How much do you plan on carrying? How much do you plan on spending?
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

garymaule

« Reply #2 on: 15:50:50, 27/09/08 »
guys the trip will be 7 days of hiking

guys i know this is asking a lot but could you help out with a list of items i should have with me on a hike like this

just taking hiking up and have got the basics clothing wise

i would like to stop off at campsites each night and pitch up the tent

salomon boots
hiking socks coolmax
goretex waterproof  paclite jacket and trousers
North face fleece
mountain hardwear gaiters
camping gas light
campinggaz small cooker (fits in your pocket)

gps PDA with otterbox running mempry map with all maps loaded for the WHWay
hand held compass

thats all i've got for now but would like to compare this with a list of items you guys would have taking a trip like this

then i would lastly need the tent and the rucksack to carry everything if you guys could kindly recommend whats best to go for

willing to spend a few hundred quid on the rucksack and tent

thanks for all your help and taking time out to reply

gary

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:10:16, 27/09/08 »
I'll send you a kit list on a Excel spreadsheet by pm -  used for TGO Challenge and other  backpacks.  This is stuff for me, though, so don't necessarily follow it slavishly - and I'll exclude the list of foodstuffs....

I notice you have a compass but only electronic maps. You might want to consider some paper maps - otherwise, there doesnt seem a lot of point in having a compass - although navigation on the WHW shouldn't be too complicated.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Skinny Walker

« Reply #4 on: 19:37:51, 27/09/08 »
I tend to agree with Mike, maps are a must, you never know then technology will start gently smoking!  ;D
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

garymaule

« Reply #5 on: 20:14:17, 27/09/08 »
great stuff guys thanks for the kit list mike its appreciated

O0

keep the info coming guys i'm soaking it up just a newbie to hiking but love the walks and the scenery i went upto the campsie fells last week and did a couple of hours onthe hills and it was brilliant fresh cold clean air and peace and quiet it was bliss away from the hussle and bussle of the city  O0

thanks again

gary

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:03:59, 27/09/08 »
Ah! Campsie Fells Went up  there last year - cracking stuff - and the petrol was much cheaper than by Loch Lomond.... O0
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:13:32, 29/09/08 »
I recently uploaded kit lists to the Gear Tech section of our site. There is more gear stuff there to peruse and ponder.

Which Salomon boots do you have?. For the WHW especially (and everywhere else outside winter), if they are big heavy blighters ditch them and get some lightweight flexible footwear!.

muymalestado

« Reply #8 on: 15:25:45, 29/09/08 »
Which Salomon boots do you have?. For the WHW especially (and everywhere else outside winter), if they are big heavy blighters ditch them and get some lightweight flexible footwear!.

Seconded.  As a Salomon clodhopper user of some years I'm usually quite glad to use them in tough terrain and happier still on drier ground to lace up the alternative fabric based boots.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy