Author Topic: Whats in your bag?  (Read 1756 times)

sirgeoffrey

Whats in your bag?
« on: 13:14:34, 08/01/09 »
Hi all,

This is probably a well discussed topic, so I apologise in advance for any replication of recent topics, but I am relatively new to this forum and would welcome the input of some the experienced people here.

During the week after Xmas my girlfriend and I spent a week in the lakes. We managed five walks including Coniston Old Man, Weatherlam, Red Screes and Langdale Pikes. Since we both like to be safe and comfortable we carried what we thought was sensible, but were continually surpised by how little (apparently) other people were carrying.

So, I wonder whether you think we were being overly optimistic?

In my rucksac I was carrying:
2 man bothy bag
Down jacket
Spare undies
Spare baselayer
Spare hat and gloves
3 litres of water in a bladder
1 litre of water in a water bottle
Trangia .9litre kettle and foldable solid fuel stove with fuel
Chocolate bars
Cake (Christmas cake - yummy)
Fruit (Being type 1 diabetic I need to ensure I have enough food)
Crampons
Ice axe

I was  wearing:
Boots
Socks
Base layer
Wind / waterproof trousers
Wind / waterproof jacket
Fleece jacket (either under the outer shell or in rucksac)
Hat
Gloves

Walking poles
Map
Compass
Whistle

For a winter day walk in the Lake District is this overkill / too little / or just about enough?

I look forward to reading your replies

Thanks

Carl

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Whats in your bag?
« Reply #1 on: 14:21:45, 08/01/09 »
Carl

I wouldn't take

bothy bag - if it gets nasty I'm getting out of there
spare undies - even if I get wet I'm not getting naked in December
spare hat
4l water - this sounds like a lot unless this was for both of you
kettle & stove - I would either take a flask or, more likely, just water

I would add to your list
sandwiches
small 1st aid kit
spare boot laces - never used for boots but great for everything else
camera
mobile phone

But I think in the end it is what you are comfortable to carry and what you want to have with you.

If you've got pics (I bet you did take a camera) make sure you shove them on the forum.

Ridge

sirgeoffrey

« Reply #2 on: 15:30:55, 08/01/09 »
Hi Ridge,

thanks for the response.

My other half has the first aid kit while I carry the bothy bag (although I take your point on that one).

Yes we did take camera and phone.

Photos are linked from Lake District group and are on my Flickr site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlsprake/

Good point about the spare laces as well

If you wouldn't take a bothy bag presumably you would take a tent on longer walks (multiple dates), so is there a place for bothy bags?

Regards

Carl

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:45:06, 08/01/09 »
I'm with Ridge on that for a winter day walk I'd swap the stove for a flask

I'd definitely have some sort of emergency shelter though- 2 person bothy bag sounds good, but an orange plastic "body" bag would do, although they're probably not much lighter!It's not a question of if it gets nasty I'm getting out of here. the key word here is emergency. Like when you trip up and injure a lower limb.

Spare base layer etc- leave it in the vehicle, tent, accommodation or whatever, but it's worth having stuff to change into as soon as you finish the route.

Otherwise, if you are prepared to carry it and want it, take it. I met a guy on top of Stob Coire nan Lochan the other day in some sunny, but very icy and treacherous conditions. He had a full weight photographic tripod and a load of camera gear. I bet he got better pics than me though :) Oh and later on we came across a guy who had slipped and broken his ankle. It was about 3.30pm and already well below freezing. when we got back to the road at around five the MRT were just getting together so it could have a number of hours before they got to him. Good job he had an emergency shelter (bivi bag) as I dread to think what the temperature would have been by then, sat on the snow at 800 metres and not moving.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

vertigo girl

« Reply #4 on: 17:00:11, 08/01/09 »
The first time I went out for a walk (some years ago and only a short distance) I took a mobile phone, a mars bar and my lipgloss. My other half had the important stuff like map, drinks etc.

I now take things much more seriously and am well equipped. But I do take foot gel and anti-bacterial hand gel.  :)

Cat

« Reply #5 on: 21:15:46, 08/01/09 »
Since investing in proper waterproofs I don't tend to take spare clothes as such, just layer properly, start off quite chilly with mid layers in the bag.  I haven't taken a stove, or flask, though if you can carry the weight (I'm too unfit) then its a nice idea.  Personally I take a light weight head torch, I've had to come off a mountain at night, its not funny and people would have a job finding you if you couldn't flash a light.  I'd ask my self what I used last time I went, add the stuff that you can't walk without is map, compass, first aid, whistle and maybe shelter (depends on forcast/time of year).

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:40:28, 08/01/09 »
seems a lot of water to be carrying for me personally and the trangia is a heavy stove to carry for a day walk. I tend to take a litre of cold drink and a small flask along with some water purifier tablets to top up. Spare base layers I'd probably not carry, depends how hard you're working, something we do lapping ski touring is swap base layers at the top but that's more like jogging than hiking.

is the weight a problem though? if you're not uncomfortable carrying it then I'd not worry too much.

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:12:06, 08/01/09 »
I'd add toilet roll a small shovel and some hand cleanser.

I like to take a water filter as well. Although in these icy conditions one might not be much use. 

Mustn't forget the torch and spare batteries either.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

sirgeoffrey

« Reply #8 on: 11:33:45, 09/01/09 »
Yep, I forgot to mention that I carried a head torch as well.

The stove was a folding solid fuel one (we called them hexi stoves in the army) and it was only the kettle that was Trangia. I thought if I needed to use the shelter and we were stuch on the hill for a number of hours then a hot drink would be good.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy