Author Topic: Neat OS hack for Google Earth  (Read 6591 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Neat OS hack for Google Earth
« on: 17:13:58, 12/03/17 »
A gentleman called Gavin Brock has come up with a neat hack that allows you to flick between OS mapping and Google Earth imagery.

The link to the kml is as follows: http://www.brock-family.org/gavin/google-earth/osmaps.html

Open Google Earth and open your browser at the link above. Open the kml file and it should appear in the Temporary folder in GE. Save the kml from the Temporary folder  to the My Places folder.

When the kml overlay is ticked GE will show OS mapping, unticking it gives the GE imagery at the same scale. It looks like a really useful walk planning tool.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Neat OS hack for Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: 17:32:26, 12/03/17 »
Like it  :)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:38:55, 12/03/17 »
I think the real strength is being able to see what is there on the ground, especially in areas where paths have grown up that are not on the OS maps and being able to plot these paths onto the OS map to plan a better walk.  A secondary benefit is being able to flick between what is actually on the ground and what the OS thinks is there.  It also works in 3D projection.

Here is tomorrow's walk for example

« Last Edit: 18:01:51, 12/03/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: 17:54:25, 12/03/17 »
Thanks for showing that, very neat!

I like this one too, similar idea, 'Where's The Path' https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

and I think the linked arrows are great
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:01:04, 12/03/17 »
Thanks for showing that, very neat!

I like this one too, similar idea, 'Where's The Path' https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

and I think the linked arrows are great

That's neat too Can you plot a route with it like you can with GE?
Solvitur Ambulando

John Walker

« Reply #5 on: 18:20:40, 12/03/17 »
Sorry, I don't know.  I haven't noticed any route plotting tab.  I mainly use it to link OS map features to what is there in the GM aerial view (and vice versa) when I'm planning a walk.
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:27:39, 12/03/17 »
I was going to comment it was similar to 'Where's The Path, but John Walker beat me to it.

Is there a difference, anyone? Apart from Google Maps showing you the nearest MacDonalds, that is.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:09:49, 12/03/17 »
On GE you can plot a route/track as a kml string. This can be converted to a gpx file for use in GPS or ViewRanger.
 For example, create a trace in GE, save it as a kml file on your PC/tablet. Open BaseCamp, import the kml file into Basecamp and it will automatically show the trace as gpx file that can be copied directly to a Garmin gps unit.
Haven't tried it in Viewranger yet, I copy the gpx file from Basecamp across so I don't know if VR can import kml files directly.
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:46:53, 12/03/17 »
You can plot routes on OS maps at walklakes.co.uk (1:25k requires registering but it's free) - you can download the routes as either gpx or kml. You can also toggle between OS maps and satellite imagery so you can check the real location of paths in the same way that this hack allows. It will also show you an altitude profile of your route. Very neat.  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:05:14, 12/03/17 »
There's also http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php which I use quite a bit, just good that GE can also be made to give the option of both OS mapping and satellite imagery  O0
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:22:48, 12/03/17 »
You can plot routes on OS maps at walklakes.co.uk (1:25k requires registering but it's free) - you can download the routes as either gpx or kml. You can also toggle between OS maps and satellite imagery so you can check the real location of paths in the same way that this hack allows. It will also show you an altitude profile of your route. Very neat.  O0

I just registered with walklakes to try the 1:25k, and while it is very good I have to confess I am not too happy with it because it uses the OS digital mapping which is somewhat different to what I am used to on paper maps.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:30:40, 12/03/17 »
I just registered with walklakes to try the 1:25k, and while it is very good I have to confess I am not too happy with it because it uses the OS digital mapping which is somewhat different to what I am used to on paper maps.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm sat here zoomed in on Castlerigg on walklakes.co.uk and have beside me a paper copy of OL4 - I can see no difference. :-\

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:03:47, 12/03/17 »
Strange, I was now going to post two screencaps of the same spot, one from walklakes and one from either Memory Map or the OS on Bing, and now that I'm on my 8.1 desktop pc I see they ARE the same.
The walklakes map was definitely different on my XP netbook which I looked at when I made my previous post. I'll investigate further tomorrow when I'll have more time.

William Herschel

« Reply #13 on: 12:22:23, 03/02/18 »
In the early days the excellent program Orux Maps could download the OS 25k maps to Android devices and you could overlay a track and the GPS would show you your position on it.  Unfortunately the OS discovered this and stopped it. For many years I also used Gavin Brock’s excellent 50k OS overlays on Google Earth but I think he has stopped this service. Thanks to the person who made me aware of Where’s The Path which has the same functionality as Gavin’s overlays. They are all great programs but they do rely on the person providing them which can stop unexpectedly.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:13:58, 03/02/18 »
Thanks for this information. This is why I love this forum. There is so much experience and knowledge held within it.
Again Thanks Ninthace, John Walker, Sussamb and other comment makers.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy