Author Topic: Y3P logistics advice  (Read 3712 times)

poppiesrara

Y3P logistics advice
« on: 23:35:22, 13/06/17 »
Hi all,

Apologies for a dull & simple question but I can't find much on this elsewhere - any small piece of advice really appreciated.  (And yes, I know there are many other great walks in the Dales that don't involve fighting crowds on a summer Saturday - I've done lots of them - but that isn't going to motivate a group of newish walkers or generate sponsorship money.  So the 3 Peaks it's going to have to be!).

Simply then, on a mid-July Saturday (not on the day of one of the obvious organised walks), is it likely to be possible to park anywhere in Horton in the morning, perhaps around a 9am start?  If not, is a Ribblehead alternative likely to be better or worse?  I much prefer the latter route, with lots of the climbing early, slightly fewer people, and the long PyG-Ribblehead walk at the end, but it might depend on practicalities.  Or would starting an hour earlier make a lot of difference (we'll have some people driving up on the day)?

Quite familiar with the walking itself, climbed each hill more than once by different routes, know about refreshments etc en route,and really looking forward to it, but no real idea of this one detail.

Advice really welcome!

Thanks
James

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Y3P logistics advice
« Reply #1 on: 09:52:52, 14/06/17 »
Think you can usually park at Ribblehead, even on a Saturday.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:31:51, 14/06/17 »
There are a number of 'pay' car parks in Horton. The Crown pub (the first bend as you enter) charge about £2 or 3 for the day. Then there is the official car park further on. No idea what they charge. Then over the bridge on the right the field is usually open on weekends, and is £3 a day.
FREE: As you arrive at Horton, and the 30 speed sign, on your left is a tree lined layby. Just depends on if its busy at the time you get there. Straight opposite is the road to Brackenbottom, 100 yards up is the primary school. Its closed at weekends of course, and there is generally plenty of room.
Failing that, then drive right through Horton to the Rail station, but turn left in front of it. Drive past the houses and loads of free space there.

Usually room at Ribblehead, careful on the left side, some quite deep drop offs for ordinary cars. The road to the station is no longer a option, but if you drive under the bridge (Station Inn) and turn left, drive for a couple of hundred yards and there is parking there.

Now, since you mention a preferred option for the route I have another suggestion.

Park near the Old Hill Inn, its about 2 miles on from Ribblehead. There are places there. Start your walk with Ingleborough. You ge the worst and hardest climb done with straight away. You are then walking into Horton were you can get food at the cafe. (No need to carry breakfast or lunch). You could also leave bottles of drink chilling in the river.
Then you have the 2nd hardest climb and plenty of recovery walking to Ribblehead.. where you have the chuck van with more food and aother stream where bottle can be chilling.. Whernside is the easiest to climb.
Then all you have to do is collect your discarded empties. Job done..

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

photonut

« Reply #3 on: 19:19:34, 14/06/17 »
There are a number of 'pay' car parks in Horton. The Crown pub (the first bend as you enter) charge about £2 or 3 for the day. Then there is the official car park further on. No idea what they charge. Then over the bridge on the right the field is usually open on weekends, and is £3 a day.
FREE: As you arrive at Horton, and the 30 speed sign, on your left is a tree lined layby. Just depends on if its busy at the time you get there. Straight opposite is the road to Brackenbottom, 100 yards up is the primary school. Its closed at weekends of course, and there is generally plenty of room.
Failing that, then drive right through Horton to the Rail station, but turn left in front of it. Drive past the houses and loads of free space there.

Usually room at Ribblehead, careful on the left side, some quite deep drop offs for ordinary cars. The road to the station is no longer a option, but if you drive under the bridge (Station Inn) and turn left, drive for a couple of hundred yards and there is parking there.

Now, since you mention a preferred option for the route I have another suggestion.

Park near the Old Hill Inn, its about 2 miles on from Ribblehead. There are places there. Start your walk with Ingleborough. You ge the worst and hardest climb done with straight away. You are then walking into Horton were you can get food at the cafe. (No need to carry breakfast or lunch). You could also leave bottles of drink chilling in the river.
Then you have the 2nd hardest climb and plenty of recovery walking to Ribblehead.. where you have the chuck van with more food and aother stream where bottle can be chilling.. Whernside is the easiest to climb.
Then all you have to do is collect your discarded empties. Job done..

That is a very helpful post Peter  O0

Thank you

Cheers
Lee

poppiesrara

« Reply #4 on: 19:57:25, 14/06/17 »
Indeed, thanks very much Peter!  Just what we needed.   

Wouldn't really have expected free parking, although those guides are very useful - it was more the worry that in small villages on an incredibly popular route there wouldn't be room of any sort.  (You can't walk from many places in the Lakes if you get there mid-morning on a sunny weekend).  But it sounds like there should be something at least.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:57:35, 14/06/17 »
Official car park in HIR charge £4.50 for all day.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:59:59, 15/06/17 »
Perhaps I shouldn't give away all the free parking tips ? During summer it is always hard for we locals to park up. Funny that it is so easy during heavy rain in February..  ;D

Oh, and I can't seem to edit my post? I just want to say that I didn't use the wrong word when I said "in Horton 'were' you can".. I simply didn't hit my 'h' key hard enough..  :-[
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy