Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall & time of year  (Read 1394 times)

FatBaldDuck

Hadrian's Wall & time of year
« on: 18:18:58, 22/10/17 »
The wife & I are hoping to start our long-distance walking adventures with Hadrian's Wall path this spring or summer (2018) ... she's from Newcastle area, but has been away for >30 years.  We know it is ALWAYS going to rain, but what is the best time to likely encounter clearer weather?  We hope to do a fortnight holiday from (from USA) across the last week of one month & the first week of the following (to better accommodate my work schedule) ... BTW, we live in Florida, so "warm" days will likely still seem relatively "chilly" to us!
I am not young enough to know everything.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!
                     8)

John Murphy

Re: Hadrian's Wall & time of year
« Reply #1 on: 20:12:31, 22/10/17 »
The wife & I are hoping to start our long-distance walking adventures with Hadrian's Wall path this spring or summer (2018) ... she's from Newcastle area, but has been away for >30 years.  We know it is ALWAYS going to rain, but what is the best time to likely encounter clearer weather?  We hope to do a fortnight holiday from (from USA) across the last week of one month & the first week of the following (to better accommodate my work schedule) ... BTW, we live in Florida, so "warm" days will likely still seem relatively "chilly" to us!

Hi,
Late Spring to early Summer should be alright. Although the weather can be a bit hit and miss. Depends how you intend to do it! B&B should be easy over 14 days. Most people take about 6/7 using B&Bs or hotels. Also you can use a pack horse service from location to location therefore negating carrying a heavy load just a day sack.  Plenty of Americans do it through the summer that way.

Going self sufficient is another story but is still pretty straight forward  :D  HTH

« Last Edit: 20:17:32, 22/10/17 by John Murphy »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:42:34, 22/10/17 »
With our weather now it's really difficult to predict when the best time to do a LDW is! You could equally get a heatwave or cool, wet and windy weather anytime.  Generally May/June or September are thought to be the best times for walking, but it's really just down to luck.  We walked it at the end of June and had 2 warm days followed by 2 wet, cool days and ending up with 2 very hot days!

FatBaldDuck

« Reply #3 on: 23:06:03, 22/10/17 »

... Depends how you intend to do it! B&B should be easy over 14 days. Most people take about 6/7 using B&Bs or hotels ...

Thanks for the info.  Yes, we plan to "glamp" by staying in B&Bs, pubs & hotels! :)   Self-sufficient will be for future trials & future trails :-[  ... but I do like it that you Brits call our "primitive" camping "wild" camping - wild camping sounds much more manly!!! ;D

8)

FatBaldDuck

« Reply #4 on: 23:11:18, 22/10/17 »
... Generally May/June or September are thought to be the best times for walking, but it's really just down to luck ...

I hope we're as lucky as the week we spent in the Lakes in January with my mom & in-laws: 1 day of rain/cold, 6 days of 60*F (16*C) & SUNNY!!!  We'll see ...

8)

John Murphy

« Reply #5 on: 11:00:40, 23/10/17 »

Thanks for the info.  Yes, we plan to "glamp" by staying in B&Bs, pubs & hotels! :)   Self-sufficient will be for future trials & future trails :-[  ... but I do like it that you Brits call our "primitive" camping "wild" camping - wild camping sounds much more manly!!! ;D

Glamp ;D ;D ;D . Just looked the "word" up. Never really knew what it actually meant. Now I do. A wimps game :-X .

FatBaldDuck

« Reply #6 on: 17:17:24, 23/10/17 »

Now I do. A wimps game :-X  ...

Indeed ... wimpy, but to get the wife to start to try ... it's a start ;)

8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy