Author Topic: Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?  (Read 1120 times)

Addingham

Re: Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?
« Reply #15 on: 16:46:33, 14/02/18 »

As for why Garmin don't use vectors they do for many of their maps but not the OS ones. I suspect it's either an OS requirement or too expensive to convert them to vector maps.

That's the only gripe I have about Garmin UK OS mapping. Why not vector for the UK? Can't be due to OS as they licence their vector mapping and does not need converting. My best bet is the vastly cheaper mapping for the UK is raster. Garmin have lost a lot of pennies by using rasters in the UK. ;)

mow1701

« Reply #16 on: 16:49:17, 15/02/18 »
Well Iím going to stand up for satmap. Iíve had a satmap 10 from new for many years. Iíve never had button fall off and is completely reliable. I do keep it in the rugged case but when in use Iíve got a chest pocket or stash it in a stretch pocket I can access without taking the rucksack off. I like the large screen which gives a better viewable area of maps which subsequently Garmin have latched on to. The buttons and toggles are great for when wearing gloves compared to touchscreen. The support and service from Satmap is excellent compared to Garmin. All of my friends use them and certainly donít have the negative experiences expressed here thus far.
 Satmap has survived and is on its thirds incarnation because itís seen as a good by many walker(in my opinion) otherwise it would have shut up shop.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:19:38, 19/02/18 »
I lost a couple of the grey button but have not lost any of the orange ones since its last service over ayear ago. Basically no real problems, still love it.

Seferix

« Reply #18 on: 16:07:08, 19/02/18 »
Ive had an Active 10 since they first came out and it was superb in every respect. Never failed on me and lasted years. I recently upgraded to Active 20 and very pleased with it. Nice big, sharp and bridge screen. High Resolution Maps looks amazing and battery life is excellent. Been out on a full days walk and only went down 20%.

Seems like its hit and miss but i would give it 100%
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

Addingham

« Reply #19 on: 18:26:22, 19/02/18 »
I lost a couple of the grey button but have not lost any of the orange ones since its last service over ayear ago. Basically no real problems, still love it.

Brilliant. Maybe, I will get another service. Although I have twigged out to make sure the said buttons don't come adrift. ;)

Maybe, I ended up with a Monday morning built Satmap. Or am I a bit ham fisted?  ;D
« Last Edit: 18:29:54, 19/02/18 by Addingham »