Author Topic: [TR] Moelwyn Bach  (Read 5651 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] Moelwyn Bach
« Reply #15 on: 20:49:06, 31/12/17 »
There is a strong sense of community there, and i bet the majority of long term habitants living there, would go out of their way to help their neighbour, but would you live there yourself ?.
I'd have to have my birth certificate hanging on the hall wall, I've been away far too long to convince anyone I was born on Wales' north coast.

what else does it offer a tourist keen to explore North Wales.
Mountains in most directions!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:00:07, 31/12/17 »
These Welsh mining communities, have alway's had a great sense of community and belonging.
Those living in the more affluent areas of the SE can only dream of such a strong neighbourly community.

Last time i visited London, you could cut the tension and lack of friendlyness with a knife.

The trip on the underground could not finish quick enough.

Ive visited the Lakeside cafe a few times, and even though i am not a welsh speaker, i am eventually treated with a great amount of respect, when i tell them about my upbringing and Welsh beginings.

I have two friends who live in Blaenau, both fluent welsh speakers, as are the majority of people living there, and they tell me about the trials and tribulations of the area.

They are both retired, but they feel that their children may have to move away to find employment.

Since the great Slate industry died in Bleanau, so did the future of most of the young in that community.

Its the same in any area that once had a flourishing industry, the NE in Tyneside, the areas of Glasgow once famous for its ship building.

The famous South wales Valley's,  all these areas suffer from great deprivation.

But why oh why cant they paint Stwlan dam in a single colour, it would certainly cheer them up no end.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:05:41, 31/12/17 »
I’ve lived for 57 years in the same South Wales valley, just outside the BBNP, but clearly you know best DA. Regeneration since the demise of the coal industry has made the huge area that is the valleys, unrecognisable. Opinions are one thing, but recent local knowledge quite another  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:42:56, 31/12/17 »
Its an unfortunate fact that everything has been centralised in Cardiff, and those living less than ten miles away in Caerphilly and beyond, might as well not exist.
The Rhondda valley, Rhymney Valley, Gwent Valley, Cynon Taff, and the rest of them, house the majority of Wales, 3.1million population.

These valleys, with Merthyr Tydfil, Ebbw Vale and Newport at their head, used to employ countless thousands possibly millions of workers in the hundreds of coal producing collieries.

The very last colliery Tower near Merthyr closed in January 2008.

Who in South Wales has not heard of Senghenydd or Aberfan, they are part of our nations history and very sad ones at that.

What has became of most of these middle aged, and some much younger workers, mass unemployment.

The South Wales valley's never had any sizeable industry other than mighty COAL.

Cardiff and its small outlining areas, as far as the Vale of Glamorgan has become a kind of upmarket ghetto.

Property has always been pricey in Cardiff, especially in Cyncoed and surrounding areas, but the further up the various valley's, especially the Rhondda, many there have never seen employment in a generation.

The community spirit, has alway's been incredibly strong in these mining communities, and i suppose Blaenau Festiniog, and Bethesda, nearer Bangor, are very much the same.

A community neglected over a generation, with such huge populations, it was inevitable that there would not be enough jobs to go around, but having been born and bread there myself i have seen what has gone on.

Everything has always been centralised in Cardiff, and the building of Assembly offices in Llandudno Junction and Swansea was only a token gesture.

London controls everything English,  Caerdydd controls everything in Wales, and those in power will ensure it remains like that.

At least the best scenery is in North Wales ( the Beacons are not bad, but its Snowdonia that matters) and those in Cardiff can do nothing about it.
« Last Edit: 21:50:16, 31/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:04:07, 31/12/17 »
I really could pick holes in most of that nonsense, but you know what, Brecon samba are about to do their stuff and it’s New Years Eve in my world  :)

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:12:51, 01/01/18 »
Here's my walk to Moelwyn Bach this month, a great walk and disaster rolled into one! Still I'm alive but I doubt I'll walk the mountains alone again!

http://myadventures3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/moelwyn-ba.html
Back on track, enjoyed that Chris. Happy 2018  O0

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:36:59, 01/01/18 »
Thanks everyone.  I am.now a proud owner of a etrex 10 😁 I liked Bleanau,  property is indeed cheap there. So much so I am considering buying a holiday let in a  few years when your mortgage here in London is done.  A stepping stone to convincing the wife n kids to move to Wales.  Happy new year to you all.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:22:49, 01/01/18 »
Dear Phil

Having lived in Cardiff for close on to 50yrs, and having studied Welsh history at Swansea university, i recon i know what i am talking about, its nonsense to most here on the forum, but not everyone has lived in the Welsh capitol for most of their lives.
By all means pick as many holes as you want through my essay, but its all accurate, as you probably know.

Have a great New Year, i certainly will.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:48:14, 01/01/18 »
Dear Phil

Having lived in Cardiff for close on to 50yrs, and having studied Welsh history at Swansea university, i recon i know what i am talking about, its nonsense to most here on the forum, but not everyone has lived in the Welsh capitol for most of their lives.
By all means pick as many holes as you want through my essay, but its all accurate, as you probably know.

Have a great New Year, i certainly will.
I have no wish to further hijack the OP’s fine trip report DA. I myself am very well versed in Welsh history, at least as well if not more than yourself, without having to name drop universities. Actually there are a few inaccuracies, as there are with most of what you post on the forum, but as it seems to be such a big part of your life, have it your way. Of course the fact that I have lived my whole life in my valley, with close family and numerous friends being from mining backgrounds means absolutely nothing, you know what you are talking about after all 😉 I will indeed have a great new year 🙂

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:45:59, 01/01/18 »
Chris many thanks for a great TR.

DA ; your university education, gained at great cost to the taxpayer,  was clearly a waste of time.  Your spelling is atrocious, as is your grammar.  Your compositions are not concise. You lack the ability to keep to the subject master involved.

Oh and by the way the simple software shows up plagiarism. Simply changing words no longer fools the coding within the algorithms.

It does not take ownership of a Thomen  Altimeter to recognise how highly you are beginning to upset people.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:17:23, 01/01/18 »
I only dropped back in tonight for a bit of company. I enjoyed the TR and i;m glad Chris made it out.

As for some other comments, I have rarely heard so much misinformed cant, garbage and [censored] in all my life.
I've always said that if i didn't live in Dolgellau, Blaenau would be my next choice and I'm offended by the words of a Plastic Welshman who obviously has no empathy with the town, nor has explored the country surrounding the town.

As for painting the Stwlan Dam - blood red comes to mind as an appropriate colour.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:34:53, 01/01/18 »
Thanks everyone.  I am.now a proud owner of a etrex 10 😁 I liked Bleanau,  property is indeed cheap there. So much so I am considering buying a holiday let in a  few years when your mortgage here in London is done.  A stepping stone to convincing the wife n kids to move to Wales.  Happy new year to you all.

Well done Chris. There are some good videos on YouTube by Lyle Brotherton on using the basic GPS including Trackback so you can easily get back to where you started or an intermediate waypoint.
Regards Keith

Thedogsmother

« Reply #27 on: 22:02:01, 13/02/18 »
I enjoyed reading your blog. Looks like you had an interesting adventure. Blaenau Ffestiniog has a great sense of community and is very pleasant. I’m glad you enjoyed the walk even if it didn’t quite go to plan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy