Author Topic: switching to gps (viewranger)  (Read 5445 times)

Steve922

Re: switching to gps (viewranger)
« Reply #15 on: 01:20:16, 08/01/18 »
...and if you try Viewranger, you'll get 2 free OS25000 map tiles for free so you can evaluate.  BUT... make sure which two tile you want; once chosen you'll have them for life but... you can't change them!

Cyberhiker

« Reply #16 on: 09:22:14, 08/01/18 »
Free Opencycle map tiles are downloadable for offline use on Viewranger. Just click on the maps icon in the top right hand corner of the Opencycle map, click 'download a custom offline area', which will take you to the map with a grid overlayed.  Select the area you want by tapping the relevant squares and then click download. To select a different area, toggle between 'select tile' and 'pan map'  O0
« Last Edit: 12:26:38, 08/01/18 by Cyberhiker »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:23:12, 08/01/18 »
One thing you should know about Viewranger is that the free maps are only available online - so if you don't have a phone signal, you don't have a map - the route is still there, but with no map overlaid.

I download tiles from the free satellite map on Viewranger and save them for offline use.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:35:05, 08/01/18 »
I download tiles from the free satellite map on Viewranger and save them for offline use.

The open cycle maps can also be downloaded for off line use
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:07:58, 08/01/18 »
This thread has prompted me to have a look around to see what is available for my Windows 8.1 Phone, which as most of you are probably aware isn't much. I can't have ViewRanger or OS Maps for example.

What I have found is a Windows Phone-specific app called GeoGPS and I've just downloaded a trial.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/geogps/9nblggh188h2
I've found apps for Android and iPhone that have the same name but they appear to be different apps from this one.

It includes OS maps from Bing that can be zoomed up to 1:50k and 1:25k, I have found, and I particularly like that my location doesn't get moved off-centre while I zoom in, like it does on the GPS to Grid Ref app that I have. It says that areas can be cached for offline use, though I don't know yet how big an area that will be. The compass won't work on my 8.1 phone, but I expected that as you need a Windows 10 Phone for a compass.

I'm already thinking it will be worth putting my hand in my pocket for, even if I don't use it to its full potential.  It costs £8.39 which is more than the usual MS app but I think it will be worth it for the OS maps alone.

Steve922

« Reply #20 on: 22:29:30, 08/01/18 »
Thanks so much for the information of how to download the OpenCycleMaps for offline use. I just tried it out and it seems to work - now I just need to find a suitable area to test it before I need it!

landy87

« Reply #21 on: 22:39:34, 10/01/18 »
how does the offline maps work in the OS map app? whats to stop you downloading the entire map in the free subscription and you are sorted

Forkbeard

« Reply #22 on: 23:28:24, 10/01/18 »
This thread has prompted me to have a look around to see what is available for my Windows 8.1 Phone, which as most of you are probably aware isn't much.

Have you had a look at Navicomputer? I used it a couple of years ago and it worked fine. From what I remember there was some compatability issues with certain Win10 devices but you should be OK with 8.1.
It worked on the same principle as Viewranger with the downloadable free map tiles, which you can save and access from OneDrive (as well as .gpx files).

The only drawback was it didn't support waypoints.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:22:28, 11/01/18 »
how does the offline maps work in the OS map app? whats to stop you downloading the entire map in the free subscription and you are sorted
I thought that as well so I did some digging and OS can clunk even offline maps at the end of a sub.I keep mine on an SD card but they can still do it (same ax Netflix)

MichaelUK

« Reply #24 on: 14:06:55, 11/01/18 »
Theres a new update to Viewranger. Now have the option to subcribe to OS maps, £19 yearly, or £4.99 monthly. Also a 7 day trail

landy87

« Reply #25 on: 14:47:19, 11/01/18 »
Theres a new update to Viewranger. Now have the option to subcribe to OS maps, £19 yearly, or £4.99 monthly. Also a 7 day trail

O0 i will stick with viewranger then

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:31:38, 11/01/18 »
Hang on. Small print states not for use on mobile device offline. Now that would make your phone signal dependant and battery starving out off the beaten track.

Have I understood this wrongly?
Too little, too late, too bad......

landy87

« Reply #27 on: 15:53:39, 11/01/18 »
post deleted
« Last Edit: 16:06:08, 11/01/18 by landy87 »

landy87

« Reply #28 on: 16:01:45, 11/01/18 »
Hang on. Small print states not for use on mobile device offline. Now that would make your phone signal dependant and battery starving out off the beaten track.

Have I understood this wrongly?

Note: This subscription is not for use on the mobile device; only map tiles/areas that have been purchased through ViewRanger may be used in offline, mobile mode on the Ap

from the shop
« Last Edit: 16:05:14, 11/01/18 by landy87 »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:33:28, 11/01/18 »
Not sure I made my plea for clarification plain landy87.

My understanding of that statement you quoted is that yes I could use and view OS maps whilst online, you still need to buy separate tiles for use offline. I.e. on gps only mode.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy