Author Topic: sawyer mini flow rate  (Read 3358 times)

landy87

sawyer mini flow rate
« on: 09:45:26, 16/01/18 »
i havent used the mini in a long time and cant remember what it was like before, i remember backflushing it with water+ bleach solution before storing and backflushed it again before using it

tried hanging a large 1l sawyer squeeze bag with mini attached upside down and the flow rate is a fast continuous drip with a constant flow after a firm squeeze of the bag, though even this would take a long time to get a decent amount of water im guessing at this rate it would take 10 minutes to get half a litre at least :(

is this normal for the mini ?
anyone else dissapointed with the sawyer mini?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: sawyer mini flow rate
« Reply #1 on: 13:40:36, 16/01/18 »
The sawyer mini gets a really good press all over this type of forum.

I have a Water to Go bottle which you fill up and then drink direct from the bottle  as and when needed. I also own two life straws, (do't ask,) which are unused though I do carry one just in case, sometimes. Before I walked in Spain my son got me  a Revive H2O collapsible filter bag, which I did use as a back up to my Water to Go Filter bottle. It just fastens to the back of my knapsack with a caribiner. I do use this sucking through the filter as & when required.

The reason I like these type of filters is that you can just fill and go. I don't use huge quantities of water (two litres a day is about my limit if I want decent night sleep ;D )   But then again your sawyer would fit a collapsible water bag and then you would not need to hang about waiting for it.

Too little, too late, too bad......

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:19:22, 16/01/18 »
i havent used the mini in a long time and cant remember what it was like before, i remember backflushing it with water+ bleach solution before storing and backflushed it again before using it

tried hanging a large 1l sawyer squeeze bag with mini attached upside down and the flow rate is a fast continuous drip with a constant flow after a firm squeeze of the bag, though even this would take a long time to get a decent amount of water im guessing at this rate it would take 10 minutes to get half a litre at least :(

is this normal for the mini ?
anyone else dissapointed with the sawyer mini?

Assuming you're squeezing the bag continuously, then that's not normal. it should take a minute or something.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:10:08, 16/01/18 »
We use the sawyer mini and we gravity filter 3l of water (without any squeezing) in about 15 minutes, squeezing we can filter half a litre in a couple of minutes.
Hate will never win

landy87

« Reply #4 on: 21:10:03, 16/01/18 »
We use the sawyer mini and we gravity filter 3l of water (without any squeezing) in about 15 minutes, squeezing we can filter half a litre in a couple of minutes.

that would be an acceptable rate, do you use tubing between filter and bag or do you screw it straight onto the bag?

this guy is having the same problem as me and the comments section is split with people having no issues and having slow flow rate
it seems to be a common problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0rYJvlowg&t=4s [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 22:18:45, 16/01/18 by landy87 »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:18:10, 16/01/18 »
that would be an acceptable rate, do you use tubing between filter and bag or do you screw it straight onto the bag?

this guy is having the same problem as me and the comments section is split with people having no issues and having slow flow rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVT3kGZodo

Unfiltered water in one elevated bladder,  pipe, filter, then another bladder with the filtered water in  O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

landy87

« Reply #6 on: 21:21:27, 16/01/18 »

Unfiltered water in one elevated bladder,  pipe, filter, then another bladder with the filtered water in  O0

thanks

do you find the pipe between bag and filter makes a difference to connecting filter straight onto the bag?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:25:21, 16/01/18 »
We use 2 platypus water bladders with tubing between the sawyer mini, both ends. I'm trying to find a pic that illustrates it, this is the best one I can find.

We've never had any problems with ours, have you contacted the company to see what they say?

That bleddy beefy always posts summat when I'm already writing an answer  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:25:56, 16/01/18 »
thanks

do you find the pipe between bag and filter makes a difference to connecting filter straight onto the bag?
Yes,
The higher you put the unfiltered bladder the quicker the water filters  8)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:26:57, 16/01/18 »
We use 2 platypus water bladders with tubing between the sawyer mini, both ends. I'm trying to find a pic that illustrates it, this is the best one I can find.

We've never had any problems with ours, have you contacted the company to see what they say?

That bleddy beefy always posts summat when I'm already writing an answer  ;D
;D  good pic Ape  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:36:59, 16/01/18 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVT3kGZodo

The video isn't about sawyer mini's?  ???
Hate will never win

landy87

« Reply #11 on: 22:18:10, 16/01/18 »
« Last Edit: 22:22:03, 16/01/18 by landy87 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:45:38, 17/01/18 »
I don't have sound at work so I cant hear what the bloke is saying  ;D

You say it would take 10 minutes to filter half a litre, that is far too long, I would have a word with the shop you bought it from they may replace it? It really shouldn't take that long.

I know the sawyer squeeze is faster to filter water than the mini but heavier, the mini is so light and compact, it is worth it for us having to wait a bit longer. Beefy filters on the move, we both fill a half litre bladder and beefy gravity filters into another half litre bladder when we are walking so we always have water on tap so we never have to wait for it anyway. When we camp we set up our 3l bladders to filter before we put up the tent, most of the time, so by the time we have the tent up and our things unpacked we have 3l of water ready to use.

Here is another thread about the sawyer mini. I posted a pic of beefy and his filtering while he walks on post 16
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34445.15
« Last Edit: 13:56:48, 17/01/18 by April »
Hate will never win

dinger

« Reply #13 on: 18:50:05, 18/01/18 »
I bought one a few months ago, apart from having the advantage of being small its poor because of the flow rate.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:09:05, 18/01/18 »
I bought one a few months ago, apart from having the advantage of being small its poor because of the flow rate.
What are you comparing it to?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy