Author Topic: Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special  (Read 5848 times)

Steve922

Re: Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special
« Reply #30 on: 09:45:37, 01/02/18 »
Hadn't heard about this but reading the blurb :-

"Outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy some of Britain’s best walks – without leaving the comfort of their sofa."
 sounds very exciting! I'll be able to 'do' the whole of the uk without ever having to clean my boots again!

Do you think it will be ok to claim these miles in my 1000 mile challenge?
..and at great risk of an onslaught in the current sexism climate, I find Julia quite attractive.

rambling minster

« Reply #31 on: 10:35:58, 01/02/18 »
urely Ingleborough from Clapham merited a bit more coverage, what with Trow Gill and Gaping Gill being on the way...  ???

That is a great walk, I prefer it to Malham Cove as that is a little crowded (for all that it's a great hike).

Good to see High and Low Force get on there.

Love coastal walks so also nice to see stretches of the Northumberland Coast Path, SWCP and Pembrokeshire get in there.

The show makes me realise how much walking I've done as I seemed to have walked most of them

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:45:51, 01/02/18 »
I watched it last night on catchup. Will have to watch it again as I nodded off half way through it and missed some of the middle bit. Was pleased to see Amar Latif the blind walker. He is the founder of the worlds first travel company for blind people, Traveleyes. I have been on two of his holidays as a sighted traveler giving assistance to those who are visually impaired. I went to Sorrento and Skipton. Fantastic holidays. Amar is a great guy, he works so hard, and will tackle any challenge which comes his way.

I enjoyed the programme, it did zip through some of the walks a bit quick but they were trying to appeal to all types of walker, from those who hardly walk at all, to those who are experienced and walk on a regular basis.

Ilona

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:24:50, 01/02/18 »
It was interesting to see which walk won, though given the large number of visitors, I suppose it was inevitable that one Lake District walk would win. My main issue with the programme was that out of some 2 and a half hours (less pesky adverts), a few minutes could not have been found to stress the need to be properly equipped, with both equipment and knowledge  to go on to the high fells, especially at this time of the year. I fear some, rightly enthused by the lovely views but of course shot in good weather, will shoot off up the mountains, not realising what might lay ahead. It would be a great shame if a legacy of the programme was more MRT call-outs.

I have suggested to Julia Bradbury that there must be scope for a programme on safety, maybe involving a MRT, perhaps going out on a rescue(s), use of OS maps etc. etc. Although this might not be as good as experience or a proper training course, at least it would alert a lot of people to potential perils in the same way as the programme will have alerted a lot to the beauty of the walks but made them all look straightforward.

Trouble is as it would probably be on ITV, the advertising potential is probably not enough for such a programme!

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:26:26, 01/02/18 »
It was interesting to see which walk won, though given the large number of visitors, I suppose it was inevitable that one Lake District walk would win. My main issue with the programme was that out of some 2 and a half hours (less pesky adverts), a few minutes could not have been found to stress the need to be properly equipped, with both equipment and knowledge  to go on to the high fells, especially at this time of the year. I fear some, rightly enthused by the lovely views but of course shot in good weather, will shoot off up the mountains, not realising what might lay ahead. It would be a great shame if a legacy of the programme was more MRT call-outs.

I have suggested to Julia Bradbury that there must be scope for a programme on safety, maybe involving a MRT, perhaps going out on a rescue(s), use of OS maps etc. etc. Although this might not be as good as experience or a proper training course, at least it would alert a lot of people to potential perils in the same way as the programme will have alerted a lot to the beauty of the walks but made them all look straightforward.

Trouble is as it would probably be on ITV, the advertising potential is probably not enough for such a programme!

Apologies. Seem to have hit quote instead of modify when trying to correct something and don't know how to delete. Penalty of fat fingers on an iPad!

robb

« Reply #35 on: 17:39:37, 01/02/18 »
Malham Cove is a nice walk just to say you've been there and seen it, but I found it a little odd how despite showing it numerous times with the aerial shots, Pen-Y-Ghent was only mentioned once in a fleeting sentence. Likewise with DoveDale and the oversight of the more popular Monsal Trail.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 03:15:10, 03/02/18 »
I'll ask again.
How many members of this Walking Forum were among the 8,000 participants?
If no-one replies, I'll assume the answer is 0.

I voted.  JB tweeted a link to the survey. 

From memory there were already a number of walks split into areas, and then the option to vote which one was favourite.  Was a while ago. 

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:37:54, 03/02/18 »
A good list.  The show I was n't too interested in, though I did watch the top 20.  I have had a good long look at the list on the OS site. 

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/itvs-britains-100-favourite-walks/

Surprised how many of them I have walked.  Plus a few on there I have not walked that are now on the bucket list.  Ben Macdui any one O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy