Author Topic: Pen-y-fan in February  (Read 2926 times)

annknee

Pen-y-fan in February
« on: 22:23:36, 31/01/18 »

I'm looking at walking the Storey Arms - Pen-y-Fan circular in a couple of weeks (mid Feb) but not too sure on what weather conditions to expect. I haven't had experience in snow walking so not sure if I would be taking on more than I can chew! Is the 'motorway' likely to be snow/ice covered at this time?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Pen-y-fan in February
« Reply #1 on: 06:13:54, 01/02/18 »
Well you won’t get lost doing the Storey Arms route, just follow the crowds. As for the weather, expect the worst and hope for the best. Keep a close eye on the met office forecast right up until you leave home and then en route if you can, but expect it to change even then, so go prepared.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:53:10, 01/02/18 »
Follow the tourist path from Pont Y Daf carpark, and dress accordingly for the conditions.
Do not forget that Pen Y Fan is nearly 3000ft in height, and when its chilly by the roadside of the A470, it will be well below freezing at the summit, and possibly very windy as well.

When living in South Wales, i climbed Pen Y Fan so many times, that ive lost count, it must be well into the hundreds, and it was rarely calm on the summit, even in Summer.

Its the windiest location ive ever experienced in the near forty years ive been a walker.

Go fully prepared for such a high exposed mountain in winter, and you should enjoy a great walk in the hills.
« Last Edit: 10:56:41, 01/02/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:08:54, 01/02/18 »
Yes and don't be deceived as you start your walk, it may be calm at the bottom but the wind will hit you as you crest near the top  :)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy