Author Topic: I've bought myself a Bivi!  (Read 3049 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've bought myself a Bivi!
« on: 12:58:07, 01/02/18 »
After dithering about buying a Bivi or not, for months, I finally made a decision. I saw a new Snugpak Stratosphere adverised on line for less than £100, so I took the plunge and bought it. It arrived this morning and I've just set it up in our bedroom. My wife thinks I'm bonkers!

In the end I decided that I've already got two tents, so why do I need another. Pity really, I fancied buying a Naturehike Targa One but I just need to make a decsion, its was one or the other.

The issue for me now is, will I actually use it? I tried bivi camping last May with a Alpkit Hunka and an Alpkit Tarp but just couldn't get into it. It was the Hunka I disliked most, for me, to work effectivly, it needed a zip along the side, I found it a chore to get in and out of and once in it I felt trapped!

Only time will tell if I've wasted my money or not?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: I've bought myself a Bivi!
« Reply #1 on: 13:11:21, 01/02/18 »
Some folk have more money than sense  :) .  You could have a decent night's b&b for that!
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:12:39, 01/02/18 »
If it was my wife I'd be using it. She'd tell me to go and sleep in the garden!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:02:01, 01/02/18 »
B&B, where your sense of adventure, that's for the pipe and slipper brigade. ;)

Addingham

« Reply #4 on: 20:04:41, 01/02/18 »
B&B, where your sense of adventure, that's for the pipe and slipper brigade.

:D :D . Or dot watchers! ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:20:23, 01/02/18 »
B&B, where your sense of adventure, that's for the pipe and slipper brigade. ;)

Or for those of us who have spent enough time in our lives roughing it and now reckon we deserve a bit of comfort  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:03:37, 01/02/18 »

Or for those of us who have spent enough time in our lives roughing it and now reckon we deserve a bit of comfort  O0

As my old Chief said: “Any fool can be uncomfortable”
Solvitur Ambulando

Deolman

« Reply #7 on: 07:59:31, 02/02/18 »
Walking the WHW earlier this year in atrocious weather I stayed in a chalet on a camping site. Must admit I did feel a bit smug looking out of the window at the various campers struggling in the rain whilst I, having showered and now in dry clothes, was  making a brew while my kit was drying out on the radiators. After having a relaxing meal with a pint of cider in the pub restaurant it was time to head back to my warm chalet and slip into a comfortable bed for a good nights sleep. Sorry guys - Give me the comforts of the 'pipe and slipper brigade' any time.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:18:11, 02/02/18 »
Much as I enjoy being snug (in a slightly masochistic way) when wild camping in the little cocoon of my Zepyros 1, with a -10C down sleeping bag, self inflating mat and stuff bag filled with clothing for a pillow, I really look forward to my few days post-walk R&R on a decent camp site in my big tent that I can stand up in*, with a roomy living area at the front and a bedroom at the back where I sleep on a 196cm x 80cm camp bed with a 5cm mattress topper and a hollowfibre pillow. Sheer luxury by comparison!

*Used an EasyCamp Baltimore 300 for the last 5 years, 183cm height inside, but I've broken the inverted-U poles three times putting it up on my own, so I've just bought a Sunncamp Silhouette 200, same height, in the sales. This is held up by external straight steel poles at the sides; I just can't wait to try it out.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:55:31, 05/02/18 »
If it's got poles, pegs and zips....isn't it a really a tent?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:09:47, 06/02/18 »
I tried out my new Bivi last night in our garden. Freezing cold night but I was fine. I set it up, groundsheet first, then Bivi on top, put my mattress inside, then me in my long johns and top in my sleeping quilt. The long zip was a bit fiddly but I thing once I use it a few time the zip will work easier. I didn't bother with the Tarp, I'll think about that on another day.

I could tell that I have to rethink a few of my routines, for example I think a wider groundsheet might be helpful. I also will start to use my rucksack as a pillow rather than leaving it outside and there is just enough space at the head end to keep my boots safe as well. I wouldn't want either of them to go missing in the night.

Obviously I will only appreciate the enormity of what I've purchased when I use the Bivi properly. I also have to think it through carefully as to how I manage when its raining, especially in the morning when I want to get up but I'll have to save that one for later. What is appealing to me at the moment is being able to stealth camp, the Bivi will be less obvious than my tent so it should allow me more camping stop options, I think? After all, I only want to get through the night, once I have daylight all things are easier to manage.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:31:42, 06/02/18 »
The other matter which I forgot to mention is that I can see that bivi camping will be helped if I take a Tarp with me as well. I could try to use my Alpkit one but I am more inclined to just use the outer tent of my Zephyros One as a Tarp. The Zephyros One outer can be half erected, or it can be fully erected. I havn't tried it out yet but I can see that this combination offers me two or three possibilities as to how I use it, based on the weather of the day. I find as I start fiddling with different options my mind starts to work overtime as to the choices I can now make. That is of course if my thinking actually matches up to what will happen when I use the items properly.

I've just weighed my Bivi and the Zephyros One outer skin, both sets of poles and pegs together. The total weight is just under 2kg, not bad, I can live with that.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:37:57, 06/02/18 »
I've just weighed my Bivi and the Zephyros One outer skin, both sets of poles and pegs together. The total weight is just under 2kg, not bad, I can live with that.

Just what is the point, when the entire Zephyros 1 (outer, inner, poles and pegs) weighs 1.5kg?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:05:33, 06/02/18 »
You could save a bit of groundsheet weight by using secondary glazing sheet. It is cheap and quite tough. You get enough in a kit for a couiple of groundsheets once cut to shape. {With careful use of gaffa tape they can even be turned into small tarps, according to you tube.}
for example
https://www.diy.com/departments/stormguard-pvc/-tape-self-adhesive-secondary-glazing-film-l-4-02m/26866_BQ.prd
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:20:19, 06/02/18 »
What is the point! You may be right, but knowing the sort of camping I've done until now and the situations I've been in, what I'm trying to achieve is flexibility to each situation. I like to stop, sleep, up in the morning and go, don't want to worry about organising much, in fact I want simplicity. I hope to use the Bivi by itself, to use the Tarp with it if necessary, be able to adapt to different weather conditions quickly, if its hot may just use the Tarp, if its cold and or wet I can use the lot. I will only know if I have achieved anything for myself when I start to use it properly, until then I'm guessing a bit. If I get it wrong I'll own up.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy