Author Topic: GPSMap 64 - 2 more questions  (Read 654 times)

ianj37

GPSMap 64 - 2 more questions
« on: 21:09:12, 11/03/18 »
As I get further into the GPSMap 64 the frustration increases and I'm afraid I have more questions for those who understand the complexities:
1) I'm trying to follow an old topic on the Garmin forum which, if I'm reading it correctly, says that it is possible to change the 'blue pin' symbol used on the GPSMap 62 (so I'm assuming is also possible on the 64s) to show what I think are called via points to a different symbol created in Windows Paint. This is slightly complicated as some of the posts reference either images or entries on a GPSMap wiki that no longer exist. Anyway I've created a black dot 30 pixels x 30 pixels in Windows Paint, save it as a 24 bit bitmap (file size is 3.5kb, which seems large) and copied it to the Custom symbols folder in the Garmin folder on the GPS. As far as I can see this is all that needs to be done, but clearly not as routes imported from Basecamp still have the blue pin - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2) Can anyone recommend a good blog or YouTube about using Basecamp to plan an off road walk? I've found a few but I really can't get the hang of it! If I start by creating a track then I can get it to go exactly where I want it to go but can't add named waypoints. Equally if I start with a route but want to add additional points to keep the route on the footpaths rather than going direct then the route goes all over the place - e.g as a test I tried to create a route, sticking to footpaths, going from Edale car park to the top of the Nab. All is well as far as straight lining is concerned but as soon as I try to add further points to stick to the paths it includes Mam Tor and back in the route and that can't be right!!

I've paid Garmin good money for the device but they seem to hate me!! All help gratefully received.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: GPSMap 64 - 2 more questions
« Reply #1 on: 07:06:15, 12/03/18 »
1) What have you named the custom symbol you've created?  Note that you need to name it exactly as the one you want to replace, so it must be called Pin, Blue.bmp

Note also that routes from BaseCamp normally have the Blue Flag symbol, so also create a copy called Flag, Blue.bmp and place that in the custom folder also.  I've attached one I use but had to change the file extension to gpx to upload it, just change it back to bmp.  Note it's simply a blank symbol as Magenta doesn't show, so the viapoint still exists but shows as a small black dot and not a blue pin/flag

2)  This happens on your device if you have a routable map selected and routing guidance method set to 'On road'.  You need to set it to Direct or Off road (not sure what it's called on the 64).  You should also ensure 'Lock on road' is set to off. In BaseCamp use the Direct activity profile to create routes rather than let it auto route by selecting the Walking activity profile.

Garmin handhelds are very customisable so can be used for all sorts of navigation, setting them up for walking takes a little bit of fiddling :)

As for help, this is a good starter although aimed at on road route planning http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm and also here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41134

There are some good Etrex 20 videos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_494520&feature=iv&list=PL9D03CC85B73D025F&src_vid=Y5TqNsDeSms much of which will apply to your 64.
« Last Edit: 08:37:48, 12/03/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

ianj37

« Reply #2 on: 20:33:48, 12/03/18 »
Again, many thanks for your help sussamb. I had named the custom symbol I'd created Pin, Blue.bmp but I uploaded the symbol you had attached, renamed that Pin, Blue.bmp, replaced mine with it and that works fine now so I don't really know what I had done wrong, but clearly something. Planning in Basecamp also works fine now that I've selected Direct rather than Hiking.

I'm working my through the guides you suggest and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions but for the moment I am, as I said earlier, very grateful to you for taking the time to help.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:00:36, 12/03/18 »
Glad to help.  Once it's all set up correctly it's very easy  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy