Author Topic: Walking boots to keep your feet cool - Nubuk, Gortex mesh or leather  (Read 1306 times)

fobos8

Hi there

I'd be very grateful for some advice on choosing some new boots. I had a pair of Merrel Moabs which didn't last too long. There were really comfy though and kept my feet cool. There had a Gortex/Mesh upper. I'd like to get something that'll last a bit longer this time round.

I have three choices of material; Goretex Mesh upper, Nubuk upper or Full leather upper.

I've always been put off full leather as it looks like it'll roast my feet.

I mainly walk around Jersey where I live. Most of the walks are coastal/cliff paths. We are lucky that the climate is a few degrees warmer than the mainland and its a bit drier too.

Which material is good for keeping your feet cool? I know that mesh uppers do, but does Nubuk work as well?

Kind regards, Andrew
« Last Edit: 10:49:30, 12/03/18 by fobos8 »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
It's not the material the boots are constructed from which is making your feet warm it's the Gore-Tex, Sympatex or other similar waterproof membrane lining in them.

It's very difficult to find any manufacturer which doesn't use a waterproof membrane liner of some sort in all of their boots. For summer use and walking in warmer weather a leather lined boot will actually keep your feet cooler.

The only boot I can think of which has a leather lining with no membrane lining is the Meindl Borneo 2 MFS. As long as you keep them well waxed waterproofing won't be a problem and they will certainly be cooler than a membrane lined boot.

Another option you may wish to consider is the Altberg Defender military boots. Plenty of both new or second hand are available on eBay. These uses a fast drying Cambrelle lining and won't break the bank. They will be fine for most low level walking of the type you describe and waterproofing will not be a problem provided you wax them regularly.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
The only boot I can think of which has a leather lining with no membrane lining is the Meindl Borneo 2 MFS. As long as you keep them well waxed waterproofing won't be a problem and they will certainly be cooler than a membrane lined boot.
These are the boots that I have had for a long time now and I've not yet had any damp getting in.

maximurph

The lowa trekker boot is similar to the borneo with a leather lining and can be found cheaper.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've never found a pair of cool boots. I've worn all leather and the mesh types as well, can't tell the difference myself. In the summer my feet, in my full leather boots. do get hot but I've never experienced it as an oppressive heat, I just accept it as my norm. I'm lucky I think because I do not suffer from sweaty feet, after my first real year of hiking and suffering from so many blisters, I now am fastidious about my feet hygiene. I do however, in the hotter months, when I stop to rest, I always take my socks off and expose them and my feet to the air. I wiggle my toes, stretch, and splash some water on them if I can, dry them and then just walk on. I personally find that the key to comfortable feet is to also change my socks every day and during the day at stops, first I wear them the right way around and at the next stop turn them inside out and wear them again. Also, when actually hiking I clip my socks to the back of my rucksack to first dry (I wash a pair every day) and then leave them to continue to take up the air. I do not tend to keep them packed away in the stale air of my rucksack.

fobos8

many thanks for the replies.

The Merrel Moab boots I've worn in the past have kept my feet cool. These have a lining which I didn't find to be a problem so that should mean I'll be okay with another boot with a lining. I think the lining on them is Goretex.

I just don't want to get the same boot again as I they didn't stay waterproof for long.

Is Sympatex better than Gore-tex for keeping your feet cool?

Kind regards, Andrew

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Gore-Tex is the best known brand name of all the waterproof liners. Sympatex is just another brand of waterproof lining used by some manufacturers. It's very similar to Gore-Tex and works in the same way and is no doubt much cheaper than Gore-Tex. They all work in the same way keeping water from entering  the boot from the outside and allowing moisture vapour (sweat) out from the inside of the boot (breathability).

All waterproof linings will either wear through from dirt or grit particles blocking pores in the liner or rubbing through the inside of the boot or get punctured by a toenail, twig or thorn at some point during the life of the boot. Some brands will last longer than others but they will all eventually fail at some point.

A leather boot will still be usable when the liner fails provided you have regularly waxed the leather but a fabric boot will need replacing or can only continue to be used in dry weather.

In general you will find that a fabric boot might last 1-2 years before it needs replacing. By comparison a leather boot will usually last 2-5 years before it need either resoling or replacing and may last a lot longer than that depending on the mileage covered.

At the end of the day the material your boot is constructed from and choose to buy is down to you. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
I have suede/nubuck shoes.  My feet are always a comfortable temperature in summer and winter.  Waterproof too (provided I clean them and spray them with some fabric and suede waterproofing stuff from time to time).

shoarthing

These are the boots that I have had for a long time now and I've not yet had any damp getting in.
. . . Meindl Borneos are fabulous boots (if the Meindl fit suits your feet); I’m on my second pair. Cool, nice sole-unit, keeps your feet safe ‘n dry, tough as - well - old boots.

A very similar leather inner/outer alternative I own & use (similar last/foot-shape, too) is the Hanwag “Horndl” - again, comfortable & cool & dry; but a bit less tough (no rand).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy