Author Topic: Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018  (Read 7145 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018
« on: 09:38:59, 13/03/18 »
The three part series starts this Friday at 21.00 on BBC2.

"In a new three-part travelogue series for BBC Two, seven famous  :-\ faces are stripped of their everyday comforts to live as modern day pilgrims as they set out on the famous medieval pilgrimage, the Camino de Santiago."

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018
« Reply #1 on: 09:10:44, 14/03/18 »
I spent some time considering doing this route - so I will be interested to watch this series, though my heart dropped when I saw the reference to seven famous people.  I really enjoyed "Walking the Camino - Six Ways to Santiago" - about six "ordinary" people.  Thanks for the heads up.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:12:38, 14/03/18 »
Good walk, great scenery in places, lots of Cities, towns, villages to traverse, plenty of eating/watering places, hostels,. Too many roads, footpaths and most of all people. However if you don't mind people, footpaths, roads and noisy hostels that people race to so they can drink all afternoon, and have a month to spare then Its great.

Actually I'm thinking that in two or three years I may have forgotten the bad mannered people (due to senility) and do it again , the first few days scenery were wonderful.
« Last Edit: 13:42:00, 14/03/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:21:22, 14/03/18 »
You're not selling it, jimbob  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:10:12, 14/03/18 »
I think what I'm saying is I like to walk by myself.

If you read anything about the Camino Frances, please take note of the numbers of people walking annually.  The numbers are recorded in Santiago from those who actually collect their "certificates" (The Compostella), there are many who like me did not walk for the purpose of achieving a Compostella, so add quite a few extra to the official numbers and you will see what I mean. If you are gregarious and like walking with (many) others then I don't seriously knock it. Some people create spontaneous support groups or Camino families, who walk together stay in touch for years after.

It is a long walk, and it is hard to do that day after day for 30 odd days. It is not as hard as say the Pennine way in terms of terrain, but it is not easy either. It is a pilgrim route which sticks close to places where people can restock and sleep. So you can go absolutely super-light. No need to carry a sleeping bag ( Carry a bag  liner, a good poncho a sunhat, spare socks & underwear  a pair of trousers , shorts, hygiene gear ( minimum) and sunblock, minimal first aid gear, lightshoes/flip flops for the evenings. and water. Everything can be bought en route  when/if needed. I took what I thought was the minimum and gave half of that away.

I just did not like walking with so many others. But I'll only have a sub 30L knapsack on the next one. :D

PaulJ

« Reply #5 on: 06:21:29, 15/03/18 »
Wow! Thanks for posting this harland, this is something I'll definitely be watching.  O0

This is a big interest for me, I have 'permission' to do this one a few years hence so am always looking to learn more and 'prep'. Also thanks to jimbob for the advice on what to carry/ going light - that's good to know. Like you I like the peace more than the crowds. I understand that there are certain months to avoid to ensure a quieter walk (e.g that April is a good month for less crowds).

It looks like they are only doing a portion of the walk, this from the Freeview TV guide:-

"Neil Morrissey, Debbie McGee, Ed Byrne, Heather Small, Kate Bottley, journalist Raphael Rowe and TV presenter JJ Chalmers walk the Camino de Santiago. This famous pilgrimage across northern Spain to the shrine of St James at the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela has been undertaken by millions since the Middle Ages. Our intrepid group will spend 15 days on the road, walking 100km of the 780km route, living out of backpacks and sleeping in basic dormitories. In this first episode, they arrive in Biarritz and make their way to the start of their pilgrimage, a small town in the foothills of the French Pyrenees, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port."

Best regards, Paul
Paul Jonsson. Walking from Woking!

My Blog:- http://walkingfromwoking.blogspot.co.uk/ [nofollow]

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:39:16, 15/03/18 »
15 days to walk 100 km?  Poor luvvies will be shattered  ;D .

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:50:02, 15/03/18 »
15 days to walk 100 km?  Poor luvvies will be shattered  ;D .
  I have even heard of three of the "celebrities", normally I have never heard of any of them. :D  I hope that it will show the walk rather than previous "walks" on TV showing people on penny farthings, canoeing, coasteering etc. etc.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:43:36, 15/03/18 »
Thanks for the heads up harland, just series linked  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:06:56, 15/03/18 »
in April 2017 ( a quiet month) 26,925 pilgrims received their Compostellas. adding those who had no interest in receiving this certificate from the church then there were probably say 30 thousand people on that route in that month. Say 1,000 average per day on any given stretch of road. That is in a quiet month. In may there were 35k  receiving Compostellas.

Statistics from
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

PaulJ

« Reply #10 on: 00:04:33, 16/03/18 »
in April 2017 ( a quiet month) 26,925 pilgrims received their Compostellas. adding those who had no interest in receiving this certificate from the church then there were probably say 30 thousand people on that route in that month. Say 1,000 average per day on any given stretch of road. That is in a quiet month. In may there were 35k  receiving Compostellas.

Statistics from
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/ [nofollow]

Thanks Jimbob, a very useful link that I'll add to my 'prepping' folder!  O0

Judging by the 2017 figures, looks like April is greatly preferable to June-Sept, with August being more than twice as busy at 57,680! March looks interesting however, with 5176, quite a difference. However that would need balancing against availability of accommodation etc, how pleasant/ unpleasant the weather might be etc - will have to research further.

Best regards, Paul
Paul Jonsson. Walking from Woking!

My Blog:- http://walkingfromwoking.blogspot.co.uk/ [nofollow]

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:12:06, 16/03/18 »
I walked from the beginning of April.

The high route was officially  closed so went over the Pyranees via Valcarlos.  This is a beautiful route. The high route is usually shut in March also.  So you'll  need to work that into  your plan if you prefer that route. Read up on the fines if you decide to risk it.

I was led to believe that accommodation in hostels is ok during March. I was also warned about the rain in March /April.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:41:55, 16/03/18 »
There was a piece on the TV last night about this programme which appeared to confirm my worst expectations.
They had to walk 10km a day and they had no access to hair straighteners! It was so hard.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:01:18, 16/03/18 »
Ridge  ;D And here was me concerned  that I may not be able to find toupee tape  ::)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:05:55, 17/03/18 »
Just seen last nights episode and it was much better than I feared. If the moaning gets too much for you just switch off the sound, put on some music and enjoy the scenery.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy