Author Topic: TR Day 1 Hartsop to wild camp near Buck Crag Sat 21 Apr 18  (Read 2094 times)

April

• Veteran Member
On Saturday we started our walk from Hartsop, it was hot and sunny with no wind in the valley and we were very warm when we reached the footbridge over Hayeswater Gill.

Pasture Bottom

We decided to have our lunch early next to the gill and before we started the steep climb up Gray Crag. We had walked for one mile so we though we deserved a break  :D We were heading for the Ill Bell ridge and wanting to pitch for the night below Yoke on either Buck Crag or Piked Howes.

The obligatory shot of the Hartsop Barn

We were down to one layer as we ascended Gray Crag

Close up of Hart Crag and Scrubby Crag

Hart Crag to Helvellyn from the ascent of Gray Crag

It was hot hard work going up the path and we were pleased when the steep bit was out of the way and we got onto the ridge. The wind increased as we got higher and we were grateful for it at first.

Looking toward Brock Crags and Place Fell

From Dove Crag to Raise

Beefy on Gray Crag summit

We put on a layer again here the wind was chilly. We walked toward Thornthwaite Crag and it seemed to take forever. It was becoming a bit hazy so we were losing the long distance views. We had a banana break behind the wall near the summit sheltering from the wind

Beefy on Thornthwaite Crag

There were a lot of people about here so I was amazed I got a shot without any people on!

The wind was now in our faces and we left the top for Froswick

Froswick, Ill Bell and Yoke ahead

Looking back at Thornthwaite Crag

Beefy on Froswick top

The ridge was very busy and we were lucky to get the top to ourselves for 20 seconds to take a photo

Ill Bell ahead

Our legs were tiring now and we were feeling the affects of the pollen that had been blasted into our faces by the wind  :(

Beefy on Ill bell summit

There were a lot of people here too and I was lucky to get this photo. A second later 2 children would have photobombed the shot.

Yoke ahead, our last Wainwright of the day

Beefy on Yoke with a dog photo bomber  :)

Dogs are ok, it's people we don't like  ;)

We dropped down off the summit but stayed on the left side of the wall ignoring the path through the gate leading to the Garburn Road. The ground was boggy in a few places as we made our way to Buck Crag. The ground looked very lumpy and not very promising at first when we got near Buck Crag. We needed to find some shelter from the wind too and we were very lucky to find a flat, dry pitch behind a hillock after just five minutes.

Beefy and the MSR pitched near Buck Crag

The water source was close by too and we filtered some for our tea. The only thing that was missing was a view. The haze was such that the view across to the Crinkles and Scafells wasn't worth taking a photo of.

The MSR with Yoke in the background

We poured some wine knowing there wouldn't be a sunset view, the cloud had thickened. We rested our legs and enjoyed the camp regardless. We would come back here, on a clear day the views would be terrific. We had more wine and got into our bags when it got dark. The rain started and we had some thunder and lightning too which was a bit disconcerting. Ourselves and the MSR survived  ::)  Day 1 was Hartsop - Gray Crag - Thornthwaite Crag - Froswick - Ill Bell - Yoke - Buck Crag 11.7km with 953m ascent

Day 2 to follow
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and write up Ape  O0
Was a slog in that heat
We’ve even got canine summit slugs now  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Some beautiful views and a lovely walk to make the heart and lungs work. Well done April  O0

Did you edit out the windbreak?  ;D

Regards Keith

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April

There is some bloke in a cap keeps photo-bombing your pics too.

photonut

A great TR April.

What a walk too... it's not an easy trek up Gray Crag... even without MSR etc etc

Is Beefy leaning a little or is it the beacon at Thornthwaite :D (Don't tell me he'd been at the vino already)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Great photos April and nice to see the blue skies    :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Great stuff, April!  O0 

What fantastic conditions - the photos came out beautifully.  O0 :)

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks everyone  O0

Did you edit out the windbreak?  ;D

Er, no need actually   :o

There is some bloke in a cap keeps photo-bombing your pics too.

He is very annoying

Is Beefy leaning a little or is it the beacon at Thornthwaite :D (Don't tell me he'd been at the vino already)

I think it is the beacon that is leaning  :) There is still a bit missing off the top too.

nice to see the blue skies    :)

It was  :)

What fantastic conditions

They were for most of the day, we didn't mind really when it hazed and clouded over because we'd had such a grand day
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Great photos, as always April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks sunnydale  :)
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great photos April, I hope to explore more of the far eastern fells in June O0