Author Topic: TR Day 1 Wild camp on High Snockrigg Sat 28 Apr 18  (Read 2652 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the bus to the foot of Catbells on Saturday. We saw the numbers of people going up Catbells from the bus and we decided to miss Catbells out and walk around it up the Newlands side of the valley to have peace and quiet. It was sunny and there was no wind in the valley and we had lovely views to look at.

Hindscarth and Robinson from the path by Skelgill

We were hoping to pitch on High Snockrigg later

Ard Crags and Rowling End

We got to Yewthwaite Gill and started ascending to Hause Gate. We stopped to have some lunch where the path crosses the gill, a bit early but we needed a break. Once we got up to Hause Gate there were more people about and the peace and quiet disappeared. We were intermittently plagued with loud, shouty people for the rest of our walk.

Catbells, Skiddaw and Blencathra with Derwent Water in view too from the path up Maiden Moor

Why we had avoided Catbells

Spot the paraglider

Maiden Moor summit

We managed to get this all to ourselves despite the number of people about

Over Catbells to Skiddaw

Beefy on the way to High Spy

Other people started to get on our nerves. What we call limpets. When you wait five minutes to let other people get ahead but they keep stopping and you end up catching them up. Or they have already stopped and just as you get level they start walking again, right beside you  >:(

Beefy on High Spy carefully taken without the summit slugs that were plonked on the other side

It was a bit more windy up here at height

Dale Head our next summit

The view toward Grasmoor and Eel Crag on the descent of High Spy

We stopped to have a banana break at Dale Head Tarn before we started the climb up to Dale Head. More limpets on the way up   :)

The view from Dale Head

Beefy on Dale Head

It was busy on Dale Head too and a group of people kindly waited for us to take a couple of shots. We left the busy summit toward Littledale Edge and our next top Hindscarth.

High Stile Ridge and Buttermere

Blencathra over Maiden Moor

Beefy on Hindscarth

Grasmoor, Wandope, Eel Crag, Scar Crags and Grisedale Pike from Hindscarth

We had a ten minute rest below the summit, we were beginning to tire a bit and we weren't looking forward to the ascent of Robinson. We began the climb and it seemed that nobody else was about now and we thought at last we might get the fell to ourselves. Not a chance, a couple overtook us on the way up but they were very fast walkers and were nowhere to be seen when we reached the summit. We did get the fell top to ourselves after all.

Rannerdale Knotts Crummock Water and Loweswater from Robinson

On Robinson summit looking to the Scafells

Cloud had built up during the day. In fact the forecast had been for cloudy weather anyway so we had felt fortunate to get lots of sunshine earlier.

Our tired legs struggled on  the descent of Robinson. We got some water for our camp then climbed up to High Snockrigg. There was a choice of water sources. Beefy went to get some from the source of Moss Beck, I got some from one of the tarns.

High Snockrigg summit with Rannerdale Knotts in view

It was really windy here and bitterly cold now the sun had gone in. We managed to find a pitch below the summit out of the worst of it. It was 17.45 by now and we didn't think there would be many more people about. We set our water to filter and got the tent up, it was too cold to wait any longer

The MSR on High Snockrigg

Not a bad view, I hadn't expected it to be so good. It was a shame it was too cold to enjoy it, the wind chill was very near to freezing level and we were sitting inside the tent and had to zip the tent up after a while as we were getting too cold. We had our tea and had some wine. Some people came onto the summit about 7 o'clock. Sorry if we spoiled your summit view but we had to get the tent up it was so cold. We didn't get a sunset because of the cloud but we enjoyed the tent time as always. It had been had hard day, the longest we'd done so far this year with our camping gear

Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks with Great Gable and Scafell Pike in view

We got into our bags and finished our wine, what a grand day out.
Day 1 was Catbells bus stop - Skelgill - Yewthwaite Beck - Hause Gate - Maiden Moor - High Spy - Dale Head - Hindscarth - Robinson - High Snockrigg. 16km with 1080m ascent.
Day 2 to follow
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Day 1 Wild camp on High Snockrigg Sat 28 Apr 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:12:55, 01/05/18 »
Excellent pics and write up Ape  O0
What a great weekend with views to match
The views from the pitch were tremendous
 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:47:54, 01/05/18 »
Great photos and report April.
They are lovely fells, I guess lots of other people think so too.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:33:21, 01/05/18 »
What a camping spot!! Lovely pictures April.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:44:28, 01/05/18 »
I really admire you both doing your wild camping thing... and I bet it's a great experience waking up with views like those below you.

Lovely photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:54:45, 01/05/18 »

That looked a lovely walk April and some great pictures. Well done  O0

Do you have to filter all the water on your walks?

Regards Keith

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:01:54, 02/05/18 »
Great pictures and TR, April - we were on Causey Pike and the Scar Crags ridge on Saturday. I would've given you guys a wave across the Newlands Valley if I'd known you were there...  ;D

I'm just writing up the blog about our walk at the moment. We saw the crowds and paragliders over Catbells too, on our way back down.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:15:15, 02/05/18 »
Thank you all  :)

We would have waved at you too adalard  ;D
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:21:59, 02/05/18 »

We could get away with not filtering I suppose when we get the water from running becks high up but we still filter anyway. It doesn't cost us anything using our Sawyers  :)
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:03:00, 02/05/18 »
Fantastic report and photos April O0  The Newlands round is one of my faves after the Crinkles and Coniston fells :)  That view from Dale Head is sublime. I've often wondered if AW had a top seven list instead of top 6 would Dale Head have made it? Thanks, Henry

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:51:50, 02/05/18 »
Lovely photos April    :)    Like the billowy clouds

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:55:52, 02/05/18 »

Regards Keith

We could get away with not filtering I suppose when we get the water from running becks high up but we still filter anyway. It doesn't cost us anything using our Sawyers  :)
Yeah then we find a dead sheep further upstream,
Let' keep filtering  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:20:32, 02/05/18 »
That view from Dale Head is sublime. I've often wondered if AW had a top seven list instead of top 6 would Dale Head have made it?

Thanks henry  :) It is a fantastic view, I think it very well might have made it on his list.

Thanks Dovegirl

Yeah then we find a dead sheep further upstream,

;D Aye, best to keep using the filter  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy