Author Topic: Tilley Hats  (Read 9769 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Tilley Hats
« Reply #15 on: 16:17:07, 14/05/18 »
They stay put even when the wind is bending the brim up. Can also be worn under a foulie hood to keep the worst of the rain of your face.
Solvitur Ambulando

staggerindragon

« Reply #16 on: 17:09:00, 14/05/18 »
Yep, can also recommend. 

One thing, though.  In midge season, remember to tape up/block the little air vents.  The screen is just big enough that the little miseries can still get in.   >:(

Chris954

« Reply #17 on: 22:38:52, 14/05/18 »
well I pulled the plug and ordered one, a T4MO-1, the one with the cooling pad in the roof. expecting it to land tomorrow sometime.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:36:44, 15/05/18 »
I have a Tilley and also a squashy. Both highly recommended  O0
https://www.bushgear.co.uk/products/barmah-hat-squashy-kangaroo-hickory

AFANASIEW

« Reply #19 on: 15:06:35, 15/05/18 »
My preference now is for a Charter hat, although for the Pennine Way I wore something more like this, which worked well travelling south to north with the sun (what there was of it) at my back.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:38:08, 15/05/18 »
My preference now is for a Charter hat, although for the Pennine Way I wore something more like this, which worked well travelling south to north with the sun (what there was of it) at my back.

Be careful you are not mistaken for a WWII Japanese soldier who has lost his way.
Solvitur Ambulando

AFANASIEW

« Reply #21 on: 17:04:03, 15/05/18 »

Be careful you are not mistaken for a WWII Japanese soldier who has lost his way.

Well I suppose they know a thing or two about the sun, rising or otherwise. Not wishing to stereotype, of course.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Oldtramp

« Reply #22 on: 22:41:49, 15/05/18 »
On the good side:

Resilient and lasting well after 3 years of general mistreatment
Good broad brim to shade the eyes.
Good range of sizes.

Not so good:

Bit sweaty when hot.
Rather water repellent which means that trick of soaking the hat in cold water to cool you on really hot days doesn't work so well.

I previously had (and left in a Cape Town taxi) a Peter Storm Cooling Hat with some sort of absorbent gel in the band; this could be made to absorb lots of cold water and, on a hot day, was a godsend, with the evaporation cooling my head.  Unfortunately these don't seem to be available any longer.

Steve922

« Reply #23 on: 14:38:49, 16/05/18 »
How do you choose which to buy? Looking at their site, they have 38 to choose from. I'm guessing you need at least two; one for summer and one for rain. Oh and maybe one for summer rain? And another for winter?   :-)

Mines a pint

« Reply #24 on: 16:17:03, 19/05/18 »
 They are very well made and offer great sun protection but dont think you`ll look cool in one 8) ,you just wont,nobody does! ???

Cheers,Richard

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:34:27, 19/05/18 »
They are very well made and offer great sun protection but dont think you`ll look cool in one 8) ,you just wont,nobody does! ???

Cheers,Richard
Hey, some of us look good in anything. When you’ve got it, you have to flaunt it!  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:56:57, 20/05/18 »
well I pulled the plug and ordered one, a T4MO-1, the one with the cooling pad in the roof. expecting it to land tomorrow sometime.
Can you let us know what you think of it.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

RogerA

« Reply #27 on: 09:31:05, 21/05/18 »
I'm going to stick with my baseball cap for the summer, thinsulate beanie & hood combo for the winter and bushmans hat for whenever I feel like it.

Footloose

« Reply #28 on: 10:04:49, 21/05/18 »
I’ve had mine ten years now and it is still going strong. It’s indestructible. I have been trying one of the new airflow models as they are half the weight 

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #29 on: 06:18:31, 22/05/18 »
I'm going to ask a stupid question but, what's a tilley hat?

From reading through the comments, they sound like any old wide brimmed hat, but they seem too expensive for that to be the case.

I haven't clicked any of the posted links because they all seem to be talking about alternatives to tilley hats as opposed to tilley hats themselves.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Edit: Never mind. I just googled them. Got my girls a couple of cheap knock offs of these. We call them their "Explorer hats". They like feeling like little adventurers when I take them out walking.
« Last Edit: 06:21:56, 22/05/18 by The Wondering Wanderer »
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy