Author Topic: TR Backstone Edge to Appleby via Murton Fell Sun 5 Aug 18  (Read 1748 times)

April

• Veteran Member
(Day 1 here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36990.msg525856;topicseen#msg525856)

Day 2
We awoke to a misty morning, The Lakeland Fells were hidden so no photos of the fells today. We'd had a great view of them yesterday evening but the sun was in the wrong place. We had our breakfast and a couple of brews and we were packed and away by 8.05.

Murton Pike and Roman Fell in the mist

Descending toward High Cup Nick

We followed a narrow trod descending to High Cup Nick before it petered out. It was an interesting descent, different to the way we'd come up yesterday.

The mist and clag covered Narrowgate Beacon and the hill we'd been pitched on

We were lucky we'd missed it. The wind had picked up and was a bit cold when the sun went in

At High Cup Nick

We wanted to go up Murton Fell to see the Curricks, we'd seen them from our campsite. We were on the way back to Appleby for our train home, we were heading for Murton and different footpaths than we'd been on yesterday. We followed the stream you can see in this shot up to the top

Looking back to High Cup Nick

We'd followed the stream upward, steep in places. We passed a track with a marker post, we would be using that track to get down to Murton after seeing the Curricks

Beefy at the Curricks on Murton Fell

We followed a trod for a while that we thought was leading to the track and a marker post we could see in the distance. It veered away though so we ended up walking over rough heather and peat bog that took ages. A Karl Route.

Gloomy view of Murton Pike

Eventually on the track and easier walking. The wind was right in our faces here and not very pleasant

The path crosses Trundale Gill

There was a bit of descent and reascent here and it livened up what had been a dull trudge from the Curricks on Murton Fell

Murton Pike from Trundale Gill

We stopped for a brew and some food in one of the shelter cairns. We thought these must have been built for the people who come to shoot game, there were so many of them, it seemed too many to be just for the odd walker.

Beefy on the way by Murton Pike

We didn't go up it, the wind was really strong and cold. There were no views to be had over to Lakeland so we gave it a miss. The skies had cleared a bit where we were and there was more sun

White Mines

As we got lower it got hotter in the sun and the wind vanished. The track seemed to go on forever before it reached Murton, We took a footpath toward Shepherd's Cottage and Viewranger had to come out again. There were 2 footbridges that were not marked on the map, good old viewranger, it is worth carrying the tablet.

A look back to High Cup and Murton Pike

Beefy on the way into Stank Wood

We took the overgrown footpath through Stank Lane. It seemed never ending. In Appleby we got some apples and milk and walked up to the railway station to wait for our train. We thought it would be quiet there away from the busy town. Wrong, we got to the station at the same time as a steam train and most of the passengers got off and were milling around us. It felt like we were on a busy High Street just before Christmas. Hell on earth. They eventually got back on the train, it departed and we had peace until some loud music started blasting from one of the houses. The poor neighbours having to put up with that. We got on the train pleased to escape. Day 2 was Backstone Edge - High Cup Nick - Murton Fell - Murton - Shepherd's Cottage - Stank Lane - Appleby 16.4km with 150m ascent. We'd enjoyed the weekend, we would come back to High Cup Nick but perhaps not to Murton Fell  ;)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
More great pics Ape O0
Murton fell is now on the banned list  ;D
I'm not drinking that water again either, it was nearly as bad as barf's  finest  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely  O0
I've never been up to the curricks.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Nowt wrong with Murton Fell, good wild North Pennine stuff and almost guaranteed solitude  :) . Not generally great for tent pitching though.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Stop it - you're making me homesick. Used to love walking up there when I lived near Appleby.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Looks an interesting weekend of walking   

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Glad you both enjoyed your weekend, lovely photos too O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
I'm not drinking that water again either, it was nearly as bad as barf's  finest  :D

It was ok once it was filtered, it was just peaty!

I've never been up to the curricks.

They are the only thing of interest up there  ;)

Nowt wrong with Murton Fell, good wild North Pennine stuff and almost guaranteed solitude  :) .

If we'd had views of Lakeland we might remember it differently  :) It was peaceful mind

Stop it - you're making me homesick. 

Sorry! First time we've been to that area of Cumbria, we will be exploring more of it, using the Carlisle - Settle train  :)

Looks an interesting weekend of walking   

It was fab, thanks Dovegirl

lovely photos too O0

Thanks sunnydale  O0

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Looks as if you had a great weekend, April; I like Appleby and the Eden Valley. High Cup Nick is somewhere that I must visit sometime.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
High Cup Nick is somewhere that I must visit sometime.

It is worth seeing for yourself  O0 Enjoy your camping/swimming trip this weekend  ;)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Backstone Edge to Appleby via Murton Fell Sun 5 Aug 18
« Reply #10 on: 10:26:22, 09/08/18 »
I know stank lane, proper path.  ;D
Didnt you scramble down the Nick itself? Lightweights!  :P
Good stuff nice to see somewhere I've been, unlike most o the wainwrights. :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:40:48, 09/08/18 »
I know stank lane, proper path.  ;D
Didnt you scramble down the Nick itself? Lightweights!  :P

Stank Lane was an overgrown path full of nettles  ;D

No descent from The Nick for me thankyou, looked horrendous over them boulders.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:11:47, 09/08/18 »
Enjoy your camping/swimming trip this weekend  ;)

;D Thanks. We'll be catching the ferry south on Sunday, so hopefully we will dodge the worst of the weather.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy