Author Topic: Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.  (Read 4214 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.
« Reply #30 on: 10:45:26, 27/08/18 »
Well done Scorpain.
If you  fancy another go at the Nick there are a few routes that you can try rather than the straightforward up and back or horseshoe.  For example you can approach the Nick from the car park at Cow Green Reservoir via the Pennine Way.  Alternatively, you can return from the head of the Nick via Blackstone Edge (there is a faint path to follow) and then descend via Threlkeld Side.  If you are feeling more adventurous.  You can head east from the head of the Nick to Maize Beck and then follow the beck upstream to Great Rundale Tarn and thence via Threlkeld Side.
Solvitur Ambulando

scorpain

« Reply #31 on: 12:23:17, 27/08/18 »
Yeah I'll definitely go back up there with better gear next time .I'm surprised 4g was accessible through most of that walk up there and at the top. My GPS was spot on even when I had everything off to save battery, believing I couldn't connect anyway.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:22:54, 27/08/18 »
My GPS was spot on even when I had everything off to save battery, believing I couldn't connect anyway.

I think you'll find it uses your phone's built-in GPS, so it'll still work when there's no phone signal.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #33 on: 22:51:27, 29/08/18 »
Great job scorpain, thanks for giving an update and review of your kit, these are always helpful. I am impressed you just got on with it and gave it a go instead of what I did and procrastinated for 2 years but I too filled my pack and took off this August bank Holiday, I had an interesting three days of kit fails, one after the other until I had to call it a day, admit defeat and get a Premiere Inn, soaked to the skin and everything I was wearing leaked... Glad to hear your kit was better than mine.. Good luck finding affordable waterproof kit, over the years I have spent a small fortune buying Craghoppers / Sprayway / Berghaus etc... My advice would be to buy the best and buy once.. £100 jackets might be waterproof for a while.. £150 boots might be waterproof for a while. Get good socks and look after the rest.. Enjoy your next trip..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 23:10:19, 29/08/18 »
Nooooooo.  One of the best firelighters known to humanity.
Split my sides at that one. Please tell my it's true. :)

scorpain

« Reply #35 on: 03:22:00, 30/08/18 »
Ah no way! Sucks about your gear man and the failed items! Massive learning curve I bet? Yeah I need to invest in some boots  safety boots don't offer the correct support in needed areas  Still comfy but that blister  Painful. Waterproof wise it won't be an expensive investment - around 20 for pull over plastic pants and a bit more for the jacket. More expensive ones will be designed with other things in mind but I'll only wear them as and when it rains.  Next plan is to do a big walk along the wall over 2 days maybe 3. What other fails did you come across? I nearly lost my tent in the wind, plan for next time: peg it to the ground straight away. Any hole  get it pegged, then work on the other bit.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy