Author Topic: Removing Nikwax from jacket  (Read 3736 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Removing Nikwax from jacket
« on: 09:22:26, 21/08/18 »
My waterproof jacket started to wet out (by that I mean water soaking into the face fabric, but not leaking) after a year or so and so I Nikwaxed it and have done so a couple of times, following instructions religiously.

It's never really been the same again. Sure it beads under the tap but in UK drizzle and gloam it wets pretty quickly.

I've been reminded of it by my £9 pair of Decathlon overtrousers. I wore them both yesterday and the jacket wetted whilst the trousers beaded, shed water and within minutes of the rain stopping looked as clean and dry as if they'd just come out of the packet. I'd proofed the trousers with 303 Fabric Guard earlier thisnyear and so I'm keen to use it on the jacket. However it won't bond to Nikwax and so I need to remove that first.

Anyone had any luck doing that? I'm nervous of drycleaning it in case that damages the seam tape adhesive.

I'm thinking of detergent with lots of rinses, but does that really remove it, or just leave a residue that makes it look like it's been removed?

Anyone know for sure?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Removing Nikwax from jacket
« Reply #1 on: 09:59:28, 21/08/18 »
It depends what the jacket is and what the manufacturer recommends for that particular fabric.

What does the label inside it say or are there any care instructions for the jacket available online?

I know that Paramo (for example) do dry clean to deep clean and remove both existing Nikwax Tech Wash & TX Direct treatments before beginning the reproofing process again if ever you send a jacket back to them.

Despite your previous success with the 303 Fabric Guard on a cheapo £9 item I personally wouldn't be in too much of a rush to use it on an expensive jacket especially if it's not specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:24:37, 21/08/18 »
It depends what the jacket is and what the manufacturer recommends for that particular fabric.

What does the label inside it say or are there any care instructions for the jacket available online?

I know that Paramo (for example) do dry clean to deep clean and remove both existing Nikwax Tech Wash & TX Direct treatments before beginning the reproofing process again if ever you send a jacket back to them.

Despite your previous success with the 303 Fabric Guard on a cheapo £9 item I personally wouldn't be in too much of a rush to use it on an expensive jacket especially if it's not specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

Paramo can be drycleaned but then it doesn't have bonded seams. It's all stitching.

Washing instructions say no dry clean which is why I'm not up for that.

I'm happy to use 303. I've tried it on various items including Goretex, Sealskinz, shoes etc. they've all worked out well - shed like a new item and still breath fine.

Nikwax seems to work well on my Paramo kit but I've never been impressed on anything else. Either way, I want to strip it and start again.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:59:00, 21/08/18 »
I'm guessing that this is a Gore-Tex jacket and when you say that you "Nikwaxed it" I'm assuming that you completed both stages of the reproofing process after first thoroughly cleaning any old detergent residue from in, around and behind the soap dispenser tray in the washing machine followed by washing it using Nikwax Tech Wash followed by an application of Nikwax TX Direct to reproof it (thoroughly rinsing the the jacket at each stage) and then allowing it to air dry naturally? NB Tumble drying is not required to make Nikwax work.

I'm sure you'll already be aware but for the benefit of other forum users reading this thread a common mistake many people make is that they only buy and use one of the two products required to reproof their outdoor clothing and then wonder why it doesn't perform as they expect.

Nikwax Tech Wash is a pure soap based cleaner which will thoroughly clean the jacket but will not remove any existing DWR finish but it will prepare the fabric for a further treatment of  Nikwax TX Direct.

The wetting out you describe sounds like the DWR  finish being provided by the Nikwax TX Direct treatment has either partially worn off/degraded or has somehow been contaminated during the reproofing process and is no longer working efficiently to repel water droplets for any length of time?

The DWR  finish  provided by the Nikwax TX Direct treatment will gradually break down and degrade naturally through rubbing/wear over time and requires topping up on a reasonably regular basis. According to their FAQ's a treatment of Nikwax TX Direct should withstand 4 to 6 washes using Tech Wash before the  Nikwax TX Direct treatment requires repeating.

If you use a normal detergent the chances are that a residue will be left on the jacket and the microscopic pores in the Gore-Tex are likely to become blocked not allowing the jacket to breathe properly. Using pure soap flakes or pure liquid soap would be a much better option than using normal detergent but the end result will most likely be absolutely no different than if you used  Nikwax Tech Wash.

I'm no chemist and probably not what you want to hear but I'm guessing that probably the only way to fully remove the  Nikwax TX Direct treatment is to allow it to deteriorate naturally over time until any remaining waterproofing polymers still bonded to the fabric fibres no longer exist and the whole of the jacket outer material soaks up water like a sponge.

I should point out that I'm definitely not a fan of Nikwax footwear products which I think are total rubbish but I have had absolutely no problems at all using their outdoor clothing products.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:04:48, 22/08/18 »
I've had mixed results with Nikwax. Ive never been impressed TBH.

I know the process and follow it rigidly. I have various outdoor items that get proofed and I've even gone as far as to forbit the use of the detergent tray entirely for normal washes, to keep the machine more  free of detergents. Our current machine has never had it used and gets a coupe of water-only washes before treatment is done.

I've also tried handwashng on some items and the results are not much better..aslo tried spray as well as wash in. It always beads under a tap looking like it's gonna be great but fine rain or mist is nothing like proper DWR

My Paramo gear responds the best and my Helly Hansen the worst. I think it depends on the face fabric.

None work anywhere near as well as 303 which is close to the original.DWR

I suspect you're right that there is no easy removal other than drycleaning (that's how Paramo suggest one does it it apparently) and that's not recommended. I'll try a Tech Wash and see. I might call Nikwax and see what they suggest

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:14:56, 28/08/18 »
Just to update:

I just gave it a couple of washes and dries it thoroughly and then sprayed it with the 303.

And the DWR is back to factory quality  It's amazingly repellent and has that slightly slippery feel you get on a new jacket.

I'm blown away again how effective it is compared to other products I've tried.

Shame it's PFC based, with the concerns about that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy