Author Topic: Baselayer materials  (Read 1201 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Baselayer materials
« on: 18:55:52, 30/08/18 »
I've never really worried too much about baselayers. i happened across some cheap Aldi merino tops and wear them because I have them and more recently have some cheapo Decathlon hiking t-shirts and running tops which are polyester and not so warm.

I see now the various brands have supposedly whiz-bang technologies like 2 layer (polypropylene inner with polyester outer) and "3D weave" blah blah

Seems t me that it mostly comes down to: merino (warm, absorbent, slow drying, doesn't stink), polyester (not as warm, absorbent, quicker drying, can smell), polypropylene (warm, not absorbent, quickest drying, stinks easily) - does that sound about right?

I'm thinking of the best thing to wear under Paramo might be polypropylene for it's non-absorbent nature but ability move water. But it would need to be thin or I'd overheat like I can in merino. I also don't fancy smelling like a rabbit hutch. In reality I've been fine with polyester in warmer weather and merino in colder weather but I've been clammy at times so always interested in maximising comfort.

Anyone got any experience or opinions on this?

tenmilesplus

Re: Baselayer materials
« Reply #1 on: 22:45:29, 30/08/18 »
Base layer, mid layer, waterproofs, boots.. All very complicated items with a personal preference..

Like you, I try to keep the rules simple, no cotton, good quality zip, does the job... When it comes to base layers though I have had an interesting experience recently, I had a 'Skins' base layer in my draw for a while and decided to wear it on a LDW and was very surprised how warm / sweat free and smell free after 4 days of sleeping / walking etc..

In the main though a base layer for me is either short or long sleeved and deffo not cotton.. That's the rule... ( and cheap, gotta be cheap.. )
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:06:55, 31/08/18 »
For me, I concentrate on one main criteria, does it wash and dry easily. As I understand it there are three types to consider, merino, bamboo and synthetic.

I prefer synthetic because in my experience they mostly dry quicker. I like the feel of bamboo, soft to the skin but it does take a while to dry. I took my bamboo baselayers on my recent Pyrenees trip, they worked extremly well and dried ok because the sun was hot as they hung on the back of my rucksack. As for merino, I have one but when I use it it just makes me itch like crazy under the arms and across the chest. Drives me bonkers!

I never wear short sleeves, a few years ago I had to have a dodgy cancer type mole cut from my forearm. The consultant told me that to minimise the risk of skin cancer never buy clothing with short sleeves!

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 14:09:56, 31/08/18 »
For winter I use icebreaker merino tops. So warm I end up just needing a fleece on top most of the time.
They don't get smelly and not overpriced if u shop around either.

Got a few ''sports wicking" t shirts which are ok too.

I was a tempted by a Berghaus one the other day, but didn' get it. Anyone used theirs?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:21:50, 31/08/18 »
Yeah i love my merino in winter. I know it holds onto water more than synthetic does but it holds onto it inside the fibres, so it doesn't hold much water against your skin, hence them feeling warm even when damp. And I love the fact that I can wear it for about a week before it smells. Clearly those sheep know a thing or two about being out in the rain all day.

It's the synthetic ones I'm curious about - whether all the marketing hype amounts to anything . My gut reaction is that it's probably 90% [censored] but then I'm cynical.

I was just watching a ProLite Gear test of base layers. He was saying that the main materials matter but the various technical weaves etc made little to no difference to his basic tests. So I do wonder if a £60 fancy super technical one is actually any better at its job than a £6 Decathlon one, if they're both 100% polyester. I really lose faith when they claim the baselayer keeps you "cooler in the summer" - I can honestly say I've never been cooler by adding another layer under my shirt.

I have a wicking rashguard to wear at BJJ which is supposed to wick the copious amounts of sweat one produces doing that sport and transfer it to the cotton gi you wear. Well it does but it's still damp and still warmer than just wearing the gi.

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 18:47:32, 31/08/18 »
Haha, yeh exactly, like an extra layer can make you cooler...it's still an extra layer!
I think 20 or 30 quid can get u a decent sports t shirt/base layer thing. They do seem to suck the sweat away from your skin a bit and dry quick, but they also stink.
Under armour do 2 types of bases, one for cool and one for hot. Have to research the difference as I think they were one of the first to make the right base layers for military? I think?

Also, so u do bjj? Cool.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:36:05, 02/09/18 »
Haha, yeh exactly, like an extra layer can make you cooler...it's still an extra layer!
I think 20 or 30 quid can get u a decent sports t shirt/base layer thing. They do seem to suck the sweat away from your skin a bit and dry quick, but they also stink.
Under armour do 2 types of bases, one for cool and one for hot. Have to research the difference as I think they were one of the first to make the right base layers for military? I think?

Also, so u do bjj? Cool.

I walked yesterday with a Helly Hansen Lifa Active top I got cheap. It's thin, 2-layer with polypro inner and polyster outer. It was too warm to wear anything on top but it did wick well in that even though I didn't think I was particularly sweating, it totally soaked my rucksack straps. Dunno if that's a good thing or not really!?

Yeah the BJJ is a bit of a love/hate thing. I've been doing it years but the toll it's taken on my 49 year old body isn't too good. Not saying all these injuries are directly from it but some are, possibly all are and definitely all made worse: hernia repairs both sides, 3 shoulder operations, 1 broken toe now an arthritic toe. I've been off for a while recovering from the most recent shoulder surgery. I'm gonna go back and see how it goes but this might be the last year - at some point I may have to accept I'm just too old to keep doing it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:19:49, 02/09/18 »
- at some point I may have to accept I'm just too old to keep doing it.

Not until they put you in a wooden box are you to old. 49 just a boy.

I like Rab Aeon T-shirts, a nice finish and they don't stink after two weeks. I often put a windshirt on top a combination that works well for three seasons, for me anyway. In winter I use Northcape long-sleeved capilene shirts but you can't get them anymore.

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 15:02:33, 02/09/18 »

Yeah the BJJ is a bit of a love/hate thing. I've been doing it years but the toll it's taken on my 49 year old body isn't too good. Not saying all these injuries are directly from it but some are, possibly all are and definitely all made worse: hernia repairs both sides, 3 shoulder operations, 1 broken toe now an arthritic toe. I've been off for a while recovering from the most recent shoulder surgery. I'm gonna go back and see how it goes but this might be the last year - at some point I may have to accept I'm just too old to keep doing it.

I was getting lots of injuries too with martial arts and I can understand why bjj would be particularly injurious. I think thats why the Chinese developed soft internal styles. I'm only 35, but have already stopped to concentrate on preserving my body rather than destroying it. Ill do something again when I find what's right.
What we have to remember is all those athletes who seem to keep going forever have had a team of people sorting out all their injuries.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy