Author Topic: Shin splints  (Read 1101 times)

windy71

Shin splints
« on: 15:28:25, 05/09/18 »
Hi, newbie. I have some Berghaus Fellmaster Active GTX shoes that I wear on short walks, trying to get fit, and when I walk on hard surfaces after a while I get shin splints. I have high arches and wondered if insole supports might help and if anyone has any advice on how to prevent shin splints on walks?
Thanks.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Shin splints
« Reply #1 on: 15:51:39, 05/09/18 »
I think it's just the hard surface (particularly if you're walking fast as you "put your heel down" quite heavily then). 

Heel cushioning insoles might help.  As will building up your walking distances and speed gradually (rather than going all hell for leather on a "get fit quick" mission).

I have high arches and found arch support insoles gave me cramp! (I guess my feet need to have that flexibility rather than be supported).

Oh, and welcome to the forum  O0

windy71

« Reply #2 on: 16:38:32, 05/09/18 »
Thanks Mel, will try slowing down :-)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:41:07, 05/09/18 »
I used to have them about 10 years but the more I hiked and ran they just faded away.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:24:55, 05/09/18 »
I agree with Mel re the hard surfaces, especially tarmac footpaths or hard trails. If possible, I'd try avoiding these surfaces for a while and see how you get on. Chances are you wont suffer the same discomfort.
If this isn't possible, then yes, at least slow down a bit.
Hard surfaces really make my back/hips ache, especially if I'm going at a good pace. While it's good to get/stay fit and get the heart pumping, you really do have to consider the overall impact on your body.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

tenmilesplus

« Reply #5 on: 23:54:10, 06/09/18 »
Shin splints are a nightmare...

I walked the Test Way over the August Bank Holiday weekend, started Friday evening in the rain and walked the first 11 miles before resting at 0230 Sat morning, the temp was around 4degC and I woke up very stiff and cold so I set off slowly at 0530 to warm up along with some Brandy.. Right shin was the only part of me that didn't fully recover so a shin splint became my walking partner for the remaining 33 miles. My pace dropped to 1.5 mph and resting every 100yds but the pain was getting unbearable until I found a bench in a church yard at the 30 mile mark where I fell asleep, the temp was around 5degC and 0430.. I'm not massively religious so read into it what you like but I awoke 2hrs later and all my aches and pains were gone, including the shin splint that was giving me such pain.. I only managed another 10 miles on the Sunday before the Rain forced me to stop due to flooded roads and fields.. I was soaked to the skin nut no pain.. Most of the Test Way is hard farm tracks or road work, there are some very nice parts but too few for my liking, it's not a fell walk by any means.. I recon on 20 hrs easy walking but the Shin splits just made finishing a challenge..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

dav

« Reply #6 on: 18:52:26, 08/09/18 »
Sorbothane Double Strike insoles give great cushioning and good soft but supportive arch support. I too have quite high arches and the only time I have ever had shin splints was down to my laces being too tight across the top of my foot. I rearranged the laces so that they didn't cross over the high point of my feet and the shin splints ceased straight away.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:58:07, 09/09/18 »
Doing too much too quickly could possibly be the cause if you are currently trying to get fit, which would suggest you haven’t been as active previously.

I got shin splints after a third day in a row in the mountains, just doing more than I normally would.
I suffer from tightness of the calf muscles but a tight Achilles’ tendon can also be the cause of shin splints.

One way of checking this is if you can crouch down from a standing position and keep your feet flat on the floor all the way down without falling over.
If you can do that then this isn’t your problem.
If it is a problem, then try lots of stretching before a walk  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

windy71

« Reply #8 on: 12:43:49, 10/09/18 »
I am finding all of these suggestions very helpful,
thank you O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy