Author Topic: map ownership  (Read 6049 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: map ownership
« Reply #15 on: 22:17:26, 22/09/18 »
Busy are you talking about the OS system , they do have their own app.
Viewranger is a different company which also sells OS virtual maps ( if that is the correct way of describing electronic versions of maps).
Two different versions of gps apps with slightly different rules.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:56:08, 22/09/18 »
Buzy are you talking about the OS system , they do have their own app.
Viewranger is a different company which also sells OS virtual maps ( if that is the correct way of describing electronic versions of maps).
Two different versions of gps apps with slightly different rules.

Yes I am.  I realise you have view ranger, however your original post is a generic question. So I was simply stating how it works with the OSmaps App, that I myself use. Four seems a far more sensible figure.  I guess the more they allow the more some people could down load copies, for freind's family etc?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:03:26, 22/09/18 »
Ah ok. It wasn't clear to me on your original post that you were talking about the OS app.

The number of devices is not material to the fact that the data can only be used on that app even though it exists within your device. If that app ceased to exist and  you change your phone so you can no longer download said app, for all practical purpose you no longer have use of the data you bought no matter how many backups you have of it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:19:19, 22/09/18 »
That is very true. Hence why I mentioned holding on to my old phones with old app versions loaded.  Though the most maps I can load to my tablet is about 20, at any one time. Not sure if I can store them on a sim.  I will check that out. 

What ever happens I will still have my paper maps though ;)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:17:24, 23/09/18 »
Yeah mine are on one of those phone memory cards and on my PC hard drive.
I like to have the paper maps to pore over, but nainly as an emergency backstop. Have started to forget to put them in my bag every time.  I have a compass on a carabiner in each of my rucksacks but realised last week I had been forgetting my paper maps.
Stupidity finds new ways of expressing itself as I get older.
« Last Edit: 00:23:12, 23/09/18 by jimbob »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:05:01, 23/09/18 »
Yeah mine are on one of those phone memory cards and on my PC hard drive.
I like to have the paper maps to pore over, but nainly as an emergency backstop. Have started to forget to put them in my bag every time.  I have a compass on a carabiner in each of my rucksacks but realised last week I had been forgetting my paper maps.
Stupidity finds new ways of expressing itself as I get older.

It also happens with 'boating'.
I grew up in a 'paper' world and would always plot cruises on the chart before departure, latterly using waypoints on the GPs but always with the chart open on the chart-table.

My No1 Son is 'electronics mad' & on his boat he can even navigate & steer it whilst lying in bed. He has a Chart Plotter that has all the charts included and overlays your position and has loads of useful information - however he has (almost) point blank refused to invest in Paper Charts. After long discussions about batteries, dropping the plotter, GPS failure etc etc he has finally accepted that he should have some charts on board - and - learn to use them.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:49:08, 23/09/18 »
I have a compass on a carabiner in each of my rucksacks but realised last week I had been forgetting my paper maps.

I've been forgetting (deliberately) paper maps for around 6 years now, relying instead on my GPS with phone as backup.  On LDW's I also take a spare phone as a back up to my phone  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:52:47, 23/09/18 »
I've been forgetting (deliberately) paper maps for around 6 years now, relying instead on my GPS with phone as backup.  On LDW's I also take a spare phone as a back up to my phone  O0

I'm not quite that extreme. On day trips I take a 12:500  A4 print out  the route.  I use the my Garmin or phone to navigate but I refer to the A4 for the bigger picture - using a gps or mobile phone for this is like trying to read the Telegraph through a letterbox. I may have the local OS sheet  in my pack but I am not sure why; I have never opened it and in anything but a flat calm i probably wouldn't bother to try.

As to the ownership of maps, all my maps (Garmin Birdseye  images and OSM)  are on the SD card of my Garmin and backed up on my hard drive so they are mine until my gps breaks and Garmin stops selling them.  Likewise, the OS maps I need to support my  OS app are on the phone SD card but I rely on the OS app subscription to keep going.  I have given up on VR, too clumsy IMHO.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:54:34, 23/09/18 »
Stlll prefer the beauty of a paper O/S map, there's something exciting about picking out the features on the map in front of you.

Ive still got a fair number of old O/S maps, mostly of the Brecon Beacons and Central Wales.

One map in particular, of the Central Beacons area, was purchased way back in 1988 in the Mountain Centre.

It got totally soaked twice, and dried out twice, and even though its tricky to open, is still useable, no doubt out of date, but its seen considerable use during my adventures in the Beacons all those years ago.

Just goes to show, look after your gear, and within reason, items can last many years.

There's nothing exciting or thrilling about looking at a smartphone or similar device that due to the extreme cold, is struggling to maintain power.

Plastic covered O/S map and Silva compass will do for me.

Map and modern compass have been around for over a century, and surprisingly have not been overshadowed or surpassed by more modern technology.

The fact that the O/S still produce paper maps, in today's digital age, must mean there is still huge demand for them.

Long may that continue.
« Last Edit: 18:05:53, 23/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:01:53, 23/09/18 »
Sorry DA but really?

Map and compasses have been around for more than a century but man survived thousands of years without them, doesn't that make them also modern technology? 

I suspect too that more navigate now with GPS and smartphone than map and the idea that smartphone/GPS batteries are failing due to the extreme cold makes it sound like we live in the Artic!

I fully support those who wish to use maps, but equally nothing wrong in using a GPS  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:04:05, 23/09/18 »

Map and modern compass have been around for over a century, and surprisingly have not been overshadowed or surpassed by more modern technology.

Much as I enjoy OS, I call BS on that.  I can flip my gps off my shoulder strap and find out where I am to within a few feet and which way to go in the time it takes you to reach for your map, let alone orientate yourself.
Even when I use my printed version I still use the gps to show me where I am on the big map.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:07:29, 23/09/18 »

I suspect too that more navigate now with GPS and smartphone than map and the idea that smartphone/GPS batteries are failing due to the extreme cold makes it sound like we live in the Artic!

Compasses do not work well in the Arctic, too much declination, takes ages to stabilise. Maps are fairly useless on sea ice or ice caps too.  Preferred method these days is gps or inertial nav.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:13:57, 23/09/18 »
Ive seen two very early guide maps dating from around 1904, for the area around Harlech and Barmouth.

They were for sale in the antique shop in Dolgellau, and were of little use for a modern user, but it showed the Harlech Coach Road, and outlying roads, but not much else.

On recollection they cost 9/- which was a lot of money at the turn of the last century.

Even though tourism in Wales was in its infancy all those years ago, tourist maps were being produced as long ago as that.

The most exciting bit of map related items ive ever had in my hands, are the Officers Whistle and pocket compass owned by officer Harold Lowe of Titanic fame.

Some years ago, his relative who lives in Deganwy outside llandudno, loaned them for a exhibition in the towns museum, and the curator allowed me to hold them in my hand.

The pocket compass had been produced by a Bristol firm in 1898, and looked rather modern.

The value of both items if they ever came to auction would probably be astronomical.

Both whistle and compass went on board Titanic and survived the disaster.
« Last Edit: 18:21:04, 23/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:50:46, 23/09/18 »
DA Do you have anything to say about the subject of the ownership of electronic data?
The subject matter of this thread is not ancient paper maps,  compasses or the hoard of junk you have either in your cottage or in your imagination. ( Junk defined as stuff you have no use for but hang onto anyway )

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:08:17, 23/09/18 »

Compasses do not work well in the Arctic, too much declination, takes ages to stabilise. Maps are fairly useless on sea ice or ice caps too.  Preferred method these days is gps or inertial nav.

You can get compasses that are adjusted for the local declination. A friend had a similar problem using his Silva compass brought in the UK on a trip to New Zealand.
Surely, the old way of navigating on sea ice was sextant and chronometer? I think GPS is way ahead of that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy