Author Topic: Altberg Tethera Wear  (Read 5917 times)

G2EWS

Altberg Tethera Wear
« on: 11:56:19, 28/09/18 »
Good morning all,

Since purchasing my Altberg Tethera's from the factory last October I have completed about 2,000 miles.

During this time, I have, as suggested by the factory, cleaned them regularly and use their Leder Gris, if not on a daily basis then perhaps at worse once or twice a week.

What concerns me is the serious cracks that have appeared and will almost certainly start to let water in.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have a suggestion as to what is going on?

Do I have to upload the photos to my flickr account to attach them on here?

Best regards

Chris

G2EWS

Re: Altberg Tethera Wear
« Reply #1 on: 12:03:47, 28/09/18 »
Sorted it

Note the cut in the first photo going the other way was caused by bramble.

Chris

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:21:12, 28/09/18 »
My old Tetheras had done 2400 miles when they went back to be be resoled.  The factoru found that the leather in one boot had split under the rand.  The other boot was cracked but not as badly as in your picture.  Mrs N's Fremingtons are pobably coming up to 2000 miles, have been resoled, and they are begining to crack as well.  Like you they have had tlc with leder gris since new.  Evidence from our statistical insignificant sample suggests it is normal wear and tear.  Our boots were both between 3 & 4 years old and have seen some really rough going.
Solvitur Ambulando

G2EWS

« Reply #3 on: 12:27:09, 28/09/18 »
Thanks for your response, it must be wear and tear as you say.

As an outdoor activity instructor in the 70's I don't remember having that sort of problem, only the soles as you say.

Oh well, I guess that is progress!!

Regards

Chris

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:11:45, 28/09/18 »
I've come across flex cracking before but never quite as bad as that shown in your pics.

As recommended by Whalley Warm & Dry in the pic I posted here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37244.0 it might be worth considering using either Leder Gris Xtreme or Cherry Blossom  Waxed Leather Oil on a regular basis on the flex points across the boots in combination with the standard Leder Gris in the future to increase the level of oils that you are putting back into that area of the leather.

This type of flex cracking could also possibly be caused by you drying them too fast or too near a heat source or even by storing them an area which is either too warm or damp.

All leather will eventually crack due to the flexing and repeated wet and dry cycles the leather goes through so the more you can look after the leather the longer it will delay the eventual cracking.

EDIT: Not that it makes any difference but I think the boots in the pics are the Altberg Nordkapp not the Altberg Tethera?

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:42:02, 29/09/18 »
I've come across flex cracking before but never quite as bad as that shown in your pics.

Every pair of boots I've had have cracked badly on the flex points, even some wider fitting ones I tried some years ago.
I clean/dry and wax my boots following all the suggested instructions, taking care to give the flex area particular attention in an effort to keep it more supple.
It doesn't make any difference. :-\
***Happiness is only a smile away***

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:57:01, 29/09/18 »
As I stated in my earlier post I agree that all leather going through repeated wet and dry cycles will eventually harden and crack as the fibres within the leather can only stand so much flexing before they begin to deteriorate and the leather starts to split apart.

The main point I was making was that regularly using a high oil content wax such as  Leder Gris Xtreme or Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil in addition to or in combination with a wax with a normal oil content like standard Leder Gris on the flex points will help to feed and condition the leather and keep it more supple and flexible for longer in those high wear areas delaying the time before the inevitable flex point cracking occurs. The use of Grangers or Berghaus/Brasher conditioning cream will probably perform the same function when used on the flex points. The deeper you can push the oil content down into the fibres of the leather the more supple and flexible it will become but you do have to be careful not to over soften the leather of other more supportive areas of the boot.

The way boots are dried and stored between uses also has a major bearing on this problem and the only time I've personally experienced a problem with flex cracking was when I used to store my boots in a quite damp porch which also had a huge variation in temperature from below freezing in the winter months to the high 70's or higher in the summer months.

G2EWS

« Reply #7 on: 13:37:12, 29/09/18 »
Hi Kinkyboots,

Thanks for the comments.

It could indeed be a problem with how they are drying. I put them on the table top in the utility room with the gaiters over the top. But the sun shines through the window and may be drying them too quickly. It had occurred to me that may be the problem and I have started putting them on floor and in the shade.

When I am away in the motorhome, they stay in the garage.

Hi Sunnydale,

Thanks for confirming you have the same problem.

Regards

Chris

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:15:09, 29/09/18 »
You could try applying Shoe Goo or some other brand of flexible leather glue down into the deeper cracks on the right boot with a pinhead to try and extend the life of the boots and keep them going for a little while longer.

Several applications of one of the high oil content waxes I mentioned earlier particularly to the flex points of both boots may help to slow any further deterioration. It definitely won't hurt to give both boots a couple of coats all over. To obtain the best results it's important that you really work the oils contained within the wax down into the leather using the heat from your your fingers rather than just brushing it on.

Unfortunately the damage on the right boot is both permanent and irreversible and it's time to start thinking about replacing them before the day comes when you end up with wet feet.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:22:29, 29/09/18 »
I am truly gobsmacked that this happens to well made, well cared for boots from a respected manufacturer.

I've always assumed when this happens to my cheap boots/footwear it's because they're, well, cheap.  Oh and I use ordinary Kiwi or Cherry Blossom boot polish on them (and baby unicorns die apparently).

So it seems that, expensive or cheap, cared for "as per manufacturers instructions" or not, the same thing happens  :-\

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:24:42, 30/09/18 »
I am truly gobsmacked that this happens to well made, well cared for boots from a respected manufacturer.

I've always assumed when this happens to my cheap boots/footwear it's because they're, well, cheap.  Oh and I use ordinary Kiwi or Cherry Blossom boot polish on them (and baby unicorns die apparently).

So it seems that, expensive or cheap, cared for "as per manufacturers instructions" or not, the same thing happens  :-\

G2EWS has already stated that thinks he has been force drying the boots in direct sunlight which has caused the cracking.

Leather is leather but some hides are better quality than others but in your case this is happening to your cheap boots because either the Kiwi or Cherry Blossom boot polish you use does not replace any of the oils which are lost during the drying process or you are force drying the boots in some way which causes the leather to harden and begin to deteriorate which eventually leads to the cracking.

Each to their own but I'm surprised that you continue to use boot polish in spite of this subject being discussed many times on the forum. I think maybe you are just stubborn or have been reading too many of Dyffryn's posts which repeatedly offers this bad boot polish advice which could potentially mislead new members?

For around £3 (£2.69 if you use Go Outdoors) you could buy a tin of Grangers G Wax and you would see an immediate improvement in the condition of the leather, the level of waterproofing being provided and it would at least be putting some oils back into the leather extending the life of your boots.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grangers-g-wax-leather-footwear-conditioner-p342371
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grangers-G-Wax-80g-Leather-Shoe-Boot-Waterproofer-Proofer-Beeswax-Polish-Dubbing/272674990800

If you want to rejuvenate the leather on the flex point of your boots try using this high oil content wax @ £4.98 (£3.99 if you have a local John Lewis)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Blossom-Waxed-Leather-Oil-100ml/152836834522
https://www.johnlewis.com/cherry-blossom-waxed-leather-oil-100ml/p3497250

By the way you are right all baby unicorns, pixies, leprechauns, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus all became extinct because they all stubbornly insisted on using boot polish!  ;D ;D ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:09:10, 30/09/18 »
Strangely enough if you were to have a look at the safety data sheets for Grangers G Wax and for Cherry Blossom Shoe polish ( both available through ARCA) then you may be surprised (In the case of Kinky Boots) or  chuffed (in the case of Mel) to find out that they are identical in all but name!
I have to say I was surprised given the lyrical form of wax Grangers has received over the forums. Both are paraffin wax.
It seems that  good old dubbin is the closest in nature to a natural wax containing (only in sometypes)  bees wax and fish oils, in other cases it is also made of paraffin wax, so read the tin.
I use spray which is a whole different subject, but the type of boots I use are rarely all leather.
Too little, too late, too bad......

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:03:19, 30/09/18 »
Strangely enough if you were to have a look at the safety data sheets for Grangers G Wax and for Cherry Blossom Shoe polish ( both available through ARCA) then you may be surprised (In the case of Kinky Boots) or  chuffed (in the case of Mel) to find out that they are identical in all but name!
I have to say I was surprised given the lyrical form of wax Grangers has received over the forums. Both are paraffin wax.
It seems that  good old dubbin is the closest in nature to a natural wax containing (only in sometypes)  bees wax and fish oils, in other cases it is also made of paraffin wax, so read the tin.
I use spray which is a whole different subject, but the type of boots I use are rarely all leather.

I don't think safety sheets are a good way of discerning all ingredients in a product. GWax definitely is beeswax based. And the sheet doesn't mention that.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:07:43, 30/09/18 »
*Sighs* 

Grangers (beeswax) : https://grangers.co.uk/protect

Kiwi (carnauba wax) : https://www.kiwicare.com/en-gb/products/kiwi-shoe-polish

Cherry Blossom (unstated wax) : https://cherryblossom.co.uk/products/shoe-polish-premium/

All “nourish and protect”. 

Back on topic … It seems ninthace and sunnydale also have the cracking problem despite caring for their boots correctly so I’m afraid I don’t think G2EWS issue is down to poor care or maintenance.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:49:10, 30/09/18 »

Back on topic … It seems ninthace and sunnydale also have the cracking problem despite caring for their boots correctly so I’m afraid I don’t think G2EWS issue is down to poor care or maintenance.

Certainly our boots have never been force dried. In the last house they lived in the utility room in the shade by the garage door.  In this house they are on the shoe rack stored at 22 C.  The only time they are ever left exposed to direct sun (apart from on my feet) is very occasionally and briefly directly after treatment to let the Leder Gris melt and penetrate the leather.  The cracking on our boots is at the flex points and is not as bad as the OP's,  In Mrs N's case I would describe most of it as still superficial, my Tetheras are still at the factory so I cannot describe them accurately.  However they did say they were cracked under the rand (not sure how that happens) and that big toes had worn through the membrane.  Their opinion was they were would be serviceable after resoling but would not be guaranteed waterproof, not that I had noticed any leaks.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy