Author Topic: Do many people test gear at home first?  (Read 1016 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Do many people test gear at home first?
« on: 18:50:19, 16/10/18 »
I remember testing my tent (Zephyros 1) in the garden before I went walking with it. I also tested out my £9.99 Decathlon long johns recently, but apart from wanderingaround our house with new boots on and walking locally in the rain with a new hiking umbrella I can't remember testing anything else.

I'm sure that someone wrote once that they tested the waterproofness of their jacket under a shower but have I imagined this?

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Do many people test gear at home first?
« Reply #1 on: 19:28:53, 16/10/18 »
I tromped 90 feet up and down the garden path several times when I bought and fitted new insoles for my boots a year ago (a first for me). Hope the neighbours weren't watching, but they already know I'm a bit cracked. The boots felt a bit strange at first, a bit tottery like when you're wearing heels on a Friday night  ;) , but they were just fine when I went out and did my first few miles in them.

I wore my baselayers, fleece top and fleece hat for three days when the central heating broke down once, and I've had tents up in the garden a number ofl times but I wouldn't sleep out there, not even to get away from the wife's snoring  ;D

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:38:53, 16/10/18 »

I'm sure that someone wrote once that they tested the waterproofness of their jacket under a shower but have I imagined this?

I did that when I was arguing with Rab over my leaky Spark jacket. They said it wasn't a fair test, I had to go out in heavy rain in it  :-\  I bought another jacket and keep the Spark for when it's not likely to rain and I'm doing low level walking.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:39:15, 16/10/18 »
I put up new tents in the garden to check that they are OK and also to be sure how to put them up.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:07:35, 16/10/18 »
Fortunate to have some nice walks right outside our front door.  Plus Dartmoor and Bodmin moor within half an hour by car.  So any testing is done out and about.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #5 on: 23:25:01, 16/10/18 »
I do try everything on at home, boots I wear but only for a short time, I tend to go for a short walk to try out new kit or I buy what I need on advice..
 My tent I put up as a practice several times before I needed it.
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:38:21, 17/10/18 »
I usually do a shortish walk from home when I wear new boots for the first time, even though I buy the same ones each time and I know they will be fine.
Best to be a bit cautious!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Rather be walking

« Reply #7 on: 12:23:37, 17/10/18 »

Wasn't me  :) however I've tested jackets and stuff in the garden with Mrs RBW using a hose.  ;D

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:13:05, 28/10/18 »
I test a lot of gear, for myself and for manufacturers. With the exception of footwear (which gets a few walks near my house first) I just use it in my normal activity. If the test kit has problems, I just have to cope - all the rest of what I'll have with me is tried and tested. Even a complete failure of waterproofs like I had recently just means I'm a bit uncomfortable for the day (OK, it was minus 2 with wind chill, but I just kept moving - I did have sufficient spare kit in case of emergency).
I did used to do the standing in shower with waterproofs, but I found things would pass that but fail while walking. For things like drybags, I do still fill them with water first, but that is more to decide what level of use to put them to (last week I was given a new one to test, I was going to take it on a SUP journey yesterday, but the seal failed the fill test so I'll use it inside a rucksack on my next heavy rain walk instead).
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy