Author Topic: My hiking greatest failure. Dithering!  (Read 2633 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My hiking greatest failure. Dithering!
« on: 20:41:27, 23/10/18 »
I'm really dithering, its one of my personal failings! Should I go to Ypres for the November 11th ceremony or not? I expect there will be thousands and thousands of people there and the prices will be sky high but...............................???

I did the hike in 2015, from Calais and camped just on the edge of town very near to the Menin Gate. I stood in the narrow street near to the Menin Gate with hundreds of other people, it was very moving and at the same time incredibally satisfying as well.

I really hate it when I get like this, I know I should be positive and just make the decision but nevertheless I am still dithering!

My wife suggests I could go elsewhere, maybe Vimy Ridge or to the Somme? I'll think about it. I even thought about going to the Lakes, are there any mountain top commemorations going on? Does anyone know?

When you are thinking about your next walk do you do dither, or do you just decide instantly and then just 'do it?'

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: My hiking greatest failure. Dithering!
« Reply #1 on: 21:24:55, 23/10/18 »

Normally, I just dither, then regret the missed opportunities.
Last week, I decided I wanted to see some nice autumn colours (I live in the Hebrides, there's hardly any trees).
On Monday evening I made the plan, on Tuesday I jumped on a ferry (gritting teeth, it was blowing a gale) then a bus, and spent two and a half days walking down part of the Great Glen Way from Invermoriston to Fort William.
The colours were wonderful, the weather pretty good considering it was October in the highlands.
It made it extra-special that it was unplanned, just throwing the minimum into a rucksack and going.

I hope it proves the cure for dithering!

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:32:35, 23/10/18 »
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Reg, there are war memorials on Castle Crag and Great Gable; the latter has a well-attended remembrance ceremony every year.  Car parking at Seathwaite has become a problem recently so if you do go you might consider catching a bus from Keswick instead.
Not all those who wander are lost

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:44:54, 24/10/18 »

As Strider says, there's a Remembrance Service held at the summit of Great Gable.

Car parking less likely to be a problem at Wasdale Head.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 15:00:30, 24/10/18 »
Decisive. Always. But our trips are more weekends away based around walking where as yours seem to be more of a big decision.

Menin Gate. Wow, what a place. One of the most emotional things I've ever seen. The sheer amount of names really rams it home what a terrible loss it was. Have you ever been there for the Last Post? I can definitely advise that if you haven't. So moving. We were there for a special event once when squadrons from as far flung places as Canada and Australia came over. There was definitely something in the air and I'm man enough to admit it brought a tear to my eye.

Love that whole area. I'm very good friends with a brewery owner nearby in Oostvleteren. Always makes for a wonderful visit.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:52:39, 24/10/18 »
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Reg, there are war memorials on Castle Crag and Great Gable; the latter has a well-attended remembrance ceremony every year.  Car parking at Seathwaite has become a problem recently so if you do go you might consider catching a bus from Keswick instead.
Oi! You nicked my joke................... ;D
Ditherers are one of my pet hates, not hiking wise but everywhere  >:(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:24:59, 24/10/18 »

Dithering just gets worse as you get older.
Just because it's really annoying doesn't stop you catching yourself doing it alas!  And that's even more annoying!

dav

« Reply #7 on: 16:43:53, 24/10/18 »
Around 2,000 walkers attend the Great Gable short remebrance service every year. I sometimes go from Ennerdale, but that's the long way. most park up in Wasdale, Seathwaite (farmer wrote off a few cars there last year as they obstructed his sheep trailer passage, so he just drove through them) and Honister Slate mine car park. Probably Honister if the best bet but don't leave it to the last minute as it fills up.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:43:47, 25/10/18 »
Thanks for the replies. I'm now seriously going to think about Great Gable.

The next problem, where to camp, with a pub nearby?

Yes, the Menin Gate is really something, should be on everyones bucket list! The Last Post ceremony each evening is one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had. When I was there last year, it looked as though there was not a dry eye anywhere!

When I hiked there in 2015 I downloaded the book by Lyn McDonald 'They called it Passchendaele' to guide me through the battlefield areas. Standing on what was Hill 60 and reading about its planning and what happened at the moment it was blown up was very memorable.

The other site worth visiting is Vimy Ridge. My wife and I drove into the visitors car park just after dawn on a really cold and foggy December morning a few years ago on our way back from Paris. Incredibly spooky experience as we walked into the trenches, especially at that point where the German and Canadian trenches are at their nearest! It now has a proper visitor centre, which I think turns it into a 'normal' tourist attraction, to me it felt a bit sanitised. Still worth visiting though.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:24:33, 25/10/18 »
There's a campsite just south of Rosthwaite where I've stayed before. https://www.chapelhousefarmcampsite.co.uk/index.php    I can't immediately see if it's open all year round.   Pubs in Rosthwaite and Stonethwaite.  I'm not sure if you can camp in the grounds of the YHA ?
« Last Edit: 14:34:02, 25/10/18 by Strider »
Not all those who wander are lost

Petrolhead

« Reply #10 on: 14:35:54, 25/10/18 »
Thanks for the replies. I'm now seriously going to think about Great Gable.

The next problem, where to camp, with a pub nearby?

Yes, the Menin Gate is really something, should be on everyones bucket list! The Last Post ceremony each evening is one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had. When I was there last year, it looked as though there was not a dry eye anywhere!

When I hiked there in 2015 I downloaded the book by Lyn McDonald 'They called it Passchendaele' to guide me through the battlefield areas. Standing on what was Hill 60 and reading about its planning and what happened at the moment it was blown up was very memorable.

The other site worth visiting is Vimy Ridge. My wife and I drove into the visitors car park just after dawn on a really cold and foggy December morning a few years ago on our way back from Paris. Incredibly spooky experience as we walked into the trenches, especially at that point where the German and Canadian trenches are at their nearest! It now has a proper visitor centre, which I think turns it into a 'normal' tourist attraction, to me it felt a bit sanitised. Still worth visiting though.

Glad you got the chance to experience the Last Post GWF. Amazing, moving and thought provoking experience for sure!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:50:47, 26/10/18 »
GWM - there's also the NT campsite at Wasdale, and the Wasdale Head Hotel have a camping field.

GWM - I agree with you about Menin Gate and the last post, and Vimy Ridge and the Canadian memorial there are very emotional places. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:53:38, 27/10/18 »
I've had a good think and will attempt to make it to the top of Great Gable for 11.00am on the 11th November 2018. I've decided not to go to and walk from the Wastewater side.

I've looked at the map but I would be very happy for a bit of guidance please.

If its open, I plan to drive to the camping site, on the left (pub just down the road) going towards Seatoller, just along from Rosthwaite on the 10th November. In the morning I will walk to Seathwaite, over the stream, then via Seathwaite Slabs, Gillercomb to Gree Gable and Windy Gap I'll climb to the summit.

I do not know this area very well so do you think my plan is doable? Very happy to recieve other suggested routes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:24:14, 27/10/18 »
Here's one I prepared earlier.  Not quite the same as your proposal as it has a detour to Base Brown but you can ignore that bit.  IIRC the ascent from Windy Gap needs a certain amount of hand to rock if you are happy with that - I had to put my poles away for that bit.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1866
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:15:46, 27/10/18 »
My first time up Great Gable was via Green Gable and Windy Gap; the first large mountain that I climbed; must have been 35 years ago  :o . Steep but not what I would really describe as scrambling.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy