Author Topic: Waterproof Socks  (Read 4059 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Waterproof Socks
« on: 19:27:06, 29/10/18 »
Do they work? 

...Or do your feet sweat that much in them you might as well not bother?

Any other factors to consider?  Like rough skin or toenails rubbing them through and rendering them useless?

Seeing as I'm still on my quest for new walking shoes and I can't find any leather/suede/nubuck ones that (a) aren't a stupid price or (b) fit properly I'm looking at some of the more fabric type shoes which, from past experience, aren't waterproof (despite claiming a goretex lining).

Ta muchly for any thoughts  O0

Mel

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof Socks
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:17, 29/10/18 »
Sealskinz socks work well for me on backpacking trips in Snowdonia when I'm continually crossing boggy ground, walking in wet grass, jumping rivulets, following splashy tracks and my boots are absolutely sodden by the end of the first day.

But they are quite expensive for what they are, and they have a relatively short life. The 1st pair I bought leaked during the 6th multple-day trip, the 2nd pair leaked on the 11th trip while the 3rd pair leaked on only the 2nd trip, so the total use of that pair was less than 6 days. I'm currently on my 4th pair which have been OK for 4 trips so far. Leaks seem to start at the toes.

They also let in water easily when your foot goes in water over the top of the sock, after which they never dry out.

They are worth it if you want to have dry tootsies at the end of each day rather than wet socks and wet feet, and for that reason I shall continue to shell out for new ones as and when it becomes necessary.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:44:46, 29/10/18 »
Agree with all of the above

When they work they're great. But not for long.

humansnail

« Reply #3 on: 22:05:49, 29/10/18 »
I used sealskinz quite a bit when I had Salomon boots (could never trust them to keep my feet dry) - I found they did the job when needed. I never wore them at the start of a walk, but carried them along with a spare pair of socks and used them if my feet got wet. I did find that they made my feet a bit more sweaty than normal walking socks, but nothing too bad. I also found them to be slightly less comfy than normal walking socks but this was only slightly noticeable and never caused blisters etc. I haven't used them since changing boots, but I was always happy to have them when my old boots let water in and I always carry them on multi day trips.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:02:49, 29/10/18 »
I also found them to be slightly less comfy than normal walking socks

Good point! I wear my Sealskinz over a pair of thinnish walking socks (a bit unconventional I expect); I prefer synthetic for the inner ones, currently using Bridgedale Cool Fusion Trailhead synthetic/wool mix, and overall the two are definitely less comfortable than what I put on for day walks, which is loopstitch wool socks over Meraklon liner socks.

However, my feet feel more clammy/sweaty and hotter in the liner and loopstitch combination that they do in the synthetic and Sealskinz ones.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:43:04, 30/10/18 »
Another vote for Sealskinz socks.  Also use Bridgedale coolmax liner socks underneath.  However I do find them quite comfortable, but I do have "big" feet so the ability to adjust the length easily is a real benefit.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:11:20, 30/10/18 »
Ahhh, fernman / NeilC, you've both confirmed what I suspected  :(   that when they're good they're very good and when they fail you ... get wet feet.

Interesting comment about comfort humansnail. My feet seem quite picky when it comes to socks so it will be interesting to see how they fare, though I might not fork out for Sealskinz just yet... probably try out some Aldi ones to see what's what.

I think my feet would massively overheat if I wore socks inside them to stop the clammy feeling so I've mixed feelings about trying that idea out.  I'll probably give it a go just to see but ...

Thanks for the replies folks - it's certainly given me some food for thought  :)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:26:48, 30/10/18 »
I looked up Aldi ones after your mention, Mel, and it says they are 100% waterproof Neoprene - meaning they are not breathable and your feet will probably become almost as wet from condensation.
Anyway, they don't seem to have any at the moment.

chriscab

« Reply #8 on: 21:40:32, 30/10/18 »
Its probably a similar feeling to wearing waterproofs in the summer rain. You either choose to get wet in the rain or drenched in sweat.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:29:38, 30/10/18 »
I used to wear my surfing socks over cotton socks, with walking shoes.  Even after hours in damp snow my feet would be warm and dry O0  My shoes however would take a week to dry out.

These days my boots and pletty of Nikewax keep the water out, so no need ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:51:50, 31/10/18 »
Seeing as I'm still on my quest for new walking shoes and I can't find any leather/suede/nubuck ones that (a) aren't a stupid price or (b) fit properly I'm looking at some of the more fabric type shoes which, from past experience, aren't waterproof (despite claiming a goretex lining).

Hi Mel,

I share your disdain of fabric boots, a pair I bought earlier this year resulted in wet feet on the first day of serious walking (the Eidart valley did for them). My solution was to spend a bit more - I found a decent pair of leather boots that fitted my wide feet for £80 (Grisport Peaklander from Kendal Sports - the actual shop, not online). I'm very pleased with them, my feet have stayed totally dry despite being out in lots of disgusting Orkney autumnal weather.

Is there any particular reason that you are going for a shoe rather than a boot? I note that some boots have very low cut heals nowadays, which may suit those who prefer a shoe.
« Last Edit: 07:58:22, 31/10/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:04:38, 31/10/18 »
Just to add to the list of possible contenders Bridgedale have recently launched their new waterproof StormSock range in various weights and lengths.

There are a few reviews online but none that are from long term users that I could see so it's probably worth waiting a while until some reviews are available regarding their  long term durability.

Hopefully Bridgedale will eventually come to their senses regarding their somewhat unrealistic pricing as they seem to have forgotten that it's socks that they are selling not boots!  :o

https://www.bridgedale.com/mens/waterproof

https://www.bridgedale.com/womens/waterproof

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:17:25, 31/10/18 »
If/when the Bridgedale ones start being sold online cheaper by other sellers, it looks like the price will be comparable with what you can get Sealskinz, Dexshell, et al for.
My option is always for the lowest price I can find. I don't like paying as much for socks but as I explained earlier I think waterproof ones are invaluable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:10:29, 31/10/18 »
In the past 20 odd years I have worn fabric boots by Salomon and Millet (sic) and leather boots by Merrell, Meindl,Mammut and Altberg.  I guess I must have been lucky - I have never had wet feet except on the odd occasion when I have unexpectedly ended up to my knees or deeper in water.  Hence no experience of waterproof socks as no need.  Hopefully Sealskinz socks are better than their gloves.  I have one pair that I sometimes wear to keep my hands warm.  Suffice to say I do not wear them in the rain and I have not bothered to buy another pair.!
« Last Edit: 13:14:21, 31/10/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rather be walking

« Reply #14 on: 11:38:32, 31/10/18 »
I always wear Coolmax socks and leather boots all year round, never any problem, maybe I'm just lucky.
On coastal paths you can have long wet grass so I wear gaiters.

Off topic: I also use AquaDry Craghoppers waterproof trousers unless it's summer weather.

Jon.

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy