Author Topic: Boys Boots  (Read 2255 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Boys Boots
« on: 13:54:08, 25/02/08 »
I want the exact opposite to almost every other boot enquiry.

My son is growing! I need to get him some cheep boots that won't last. He is changing shoe size so quickly that there is no way that he will wear out a pair of boots so while I do want them to provide support for him if they fall apart in 6 months that is OK.

Any recommendations of shops/brands (I live on the north edge of London) would be much appreciated.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Boys Boots
« Reply #1 on: 14:19:52, 25/02/08 »
Whats needed is a childrens walking-boot exchange service. - ie you take the old boots in and get some more, slightly bigger but still used boots - and continued until the little  blighters stopped growing or got themselves a girlfriend. There was a shop locally in Barnard castle which did this but the people retired. Kids boots never get time to get properly worn in , so the boots tended to be like new anyway. www.foothills.co.uk/childrens_footwear.php seem to do it, but they're in Sheffield.
A small outdoor retailer might do this kind of thing - failing that you'll have to start a kidzboots club!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

wellerchap

« Reply #2 on: 14:27:43, 25/02/08 »
I'd be tempted to buy him a decentish pair, let him grow out of them, and re-sell them on Ebay...you'll get a fair price on there (particularly if he's in the ladies popular size range too).

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:53:31, 26/02/08 »
Thanks for the suggestions.

We are in Sheffield the day before we next go up to the Lakes but I think that may be leaving it a bit late, though neither dare I get them too early as if he has a sudden growth spurt we'll be back to square one.

His boots will actually get 2 wearings as his old ones are now waiting for his sister.

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 11:54:47, 26/02/08 »
I got a pair of well put together sturdy boots from Asda for my 3 yo for about a tenner.   He loves them as they look the part and he's had no trouble with them over a couple of miles.

I like the idea of getting a decent pair, but apart from when we were in Ambleside I've had trouble finding anyone who does them, and I would like him to try them on before buying so I'm not keen on ebay.    I think Millets do some kid's gear, but when I last looked they didn't have boots small enough for a 3 year old.

S.

kkm

« Reply #5 on: 00:08:33, 27/02/08 »
guys, you've just made me a very happy bunny!

going out tomorrow to get those all important boots for me, and i'm going to try the foothill shop, as i'm really close to it.

i'll let you know how i get on :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:11:28, 27/02/08 »
kkm
Do let us all know how you get on and what range of 2nd hand (foot) boots they have, though I don't think I will risk calling in when we are in Sheffield.

Snowman
My son is 9 so getting his size is not a problem it is the speed he grows compared to the few chances we get to go serious walking. As Helvellyn is on his plan for this year I think he will need 'proper' boots again. His last ones from Millets were very good so I guess it is back there.
I agree with you about not buying on ebay, I can not understand anyone buying boots/shoes without trying them on.

ogy

« Reply #7 on: 16:15:02, 27/02/08 »
Ridge, Millets do a great range for little 'uns
I've got my 5 year old some from there before,

Clarkes do a great range now, some with the added bonus of gore-tex ;)
They are a bit on the pricey side so we just double them up as his school shoes, just give them a damn good cleaning after going out with him. He more than wears them out.

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

kkm

« Reply #8 on: 22:37:46, 27/02/08 »
foothills in sheffield is a little gem of a shop - family run business who really know what they are talking about.

didn't ask too much about the kids exchange system, but they do have a good range of boots in for the little un's. definately thinking of taking my two in.

they have oceans of patience and measure and fit the boots to your feet.

highly recommend them... :)

StevieR

« Reply #9 on: 18:22:37, 03/03/08 »
Ridge,
you could try Sports World if they have a branch near you, they do the Karrimore range and have some great discounts as well :)
Steve
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take - only the moments that take your breath away"

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:50:59, 04/03/08 »
There is a Sports World the size of a small aircraft hanger 10 mins drive from home, I shall investigate.

Thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy