Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276202 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1365 on: 09:47:26, 20/08/20 »

Climbed Stob a Choire Odhair (945m) yesterday - the visibility was "excellent to superb" and the views across Rannoch Moor were to die for.

So many happy memories of that area.  Cycled across Rannoch moor with Mrs G when we were teenagers.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1366 on: 20:27:19, 20/08/20 »
Sounds wonderful.

The best thing from my point of view is that I have barely scratched the surface as far as the Rannoch Moor / Glen Etive area is concerned - we are already plotting our return!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1367 on: 14:56:32, 25/08/20 »
Yesterday I spent the afternoon in The New Forest. Not many miles covered, my mail goal was picking blackberries to make jam. The yield was very disappointing this year, with only 1.6kg picked. Usually it's double that. Anyway, enough for the 5 jars of jam that I made this afternoon :)

Highlight was buzzards flying around, calling everywhere I went.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1368 on: 15:01:39, 25/08/20 »
Climbed Stob a Choire Odhair (945m) yesterday - the visibility was "excellent to superb" and the views across Rannoch Moor were to die for.

A fine mountain indeed! :)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1369 on: 15:18:29, 25/08/20 »
Not walking today.  I have decided to sit tight and watch pieces of  the countryside come past me instead.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1370 on: 19:37:07, 25/08/20 »
Not walking today.  I have decided to sit tight and watch pieces of  the countryside come past me instead.
;D  It has been a bit like that the past 18 hours or so. :o

Calming down now here. O0

Dread

« Reply #1371 on: 20:37:50, 25/08/20 »
Annoyed. I don't get many free days for a walk and today was one. I planned to walk the start of the Pennine Way to Crowden going the old route up Grindsbrook and across to Kinder Downfall. I'm unlikely to get three weeks to do the whole PW so I'm section hiking it. I waited until 8am this morning before finally giving up. Torrential rain, gale force winds and possible thunderstorms are not ideal conditions to be on top of Kinder. Oh well.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1372 on: 10:26:59, 28/08/20 »
I have a friend who lives in a showmans waggon near Bognor, I am going to camp in his field. A long drive south, hope it stops raining.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1373 on: 12:17:22, 28/08/20 »
I have a friend who lives in a showmans waggon near Bognor, I am going to camp in his field. A long drive south, hope it stops raining.

ilona
I am reminded of the alleged last words of King George V.  Having been there I can see his point of view but I am sure the walking is lovely.  Enjoy and I hope it stays fine for you.
Solvitur Ambulando

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1374 on: 13:56:31, 28/08/20 »
I am reminded of the alleged last words of King George V.  Having been there I can see his point of view but I am sure the walking is lovely.  Enjoy and I hope it stays fine for you.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1376 on: 18:14:28, 31/08/20 »
For a change, we have been out orienteering in Grisedale Forest in the Southern Lake District - or should I say my youngest son has been out orienteering - we gave him the map and let him lead the walk. He didn't put a foot wrong!  8)

Note - There are 3 permanent orienteering courses at Grisedale - you pay £2 and get a map on waterproof paper with 3 courses on it - beginners, intermediate and serious.
« Last Edit: 11:40:58, 01/09/20 by richardh1905 »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1377 on: 19:51:11, 31/08/20 »
I walked on the South Downs today from Patcham on the northern outskirts of Brighton, taking in Wolstonbury Hill and some of the Sussex Border Path and some of the South Downs Way.  The downs looked so beautiful and there were panoramic views. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1378 on: 11:42:26, 01/09/20 »
I walked on the South Downs today from Patcham on the northern outskirts of Brighton, taking in Wolstonbury Hill and some of the Sussex Border Path and some of the South Downs Way.  The downs looked so beautiful and there were panoramic views.

I don't know the Downs at all - somewhere I have never thought to visit. I suppose having London in the way is a big deterrent to someone who has always lived 'up North'.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1379 on: 14:19:53, 01/09/20 »
I don't know the Downs at all - somewhere I have never thought to visit. I suppose having London in the way is a big deterrent to someone who has always lived 'up North'.

The south east of England has a perhaps surprising variety of beautiful landscapes. But as I live on the south coast, it's a long way for me to go 'up North'! So I haven't done much walking up there.
« Last Edit: 14:22:54, 01/09/20 by Dovegirl »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy