Author Topic: Night Hike prep  (Read 960 times)

HikerHayes

Night Hike prep
« on: 05:32:32, 22/07/20 »
Hi. Already tried the search button but nothing has come up with what I'm asking. I'm going up snowdon at night in 4 weeks time, and I'm just wondering what people would recommend for preparation in terms of sleep adjustment i.e. day/night before, few days before etc.
Thanks

Apache

• Account Closed
Re: Night Hike prep
« Reply #1 on: 06:50:25, 22/07/20 »
I work nights on a rotating pattern. Before the night shift I sleep until about 8.00 am. Have a snooze between 2.00pm and 4.00pm and work between 8.00pm and 6.00am the following day. This has never been a problem. The second day is spent sleeping until 4.00pm. After the final night shift I get up at midday in order to get a good normal night's sleep.

GoneWest

« Reply #2 on: 08:05:43, 22/07/20 »
In four weeks' time there will be a new moon again. Were I to attempt a venture like that, the first preparation I would make would be to schedule it for a full moon.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:03:57, 22/07/20 »
One night without sleep won't bother you provided you have someone to drive you home or you are using public transport.On LDWA hundreds its quite common for some of the slower walkers to go without out sleep for 48 hours.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:14:00, 22/07/20 »
I must say I've never needed to do any sleep adjustment before a night activity. Trying to make sure I get a good night's sleep the night before, yes, but that's not actually much of a help.
Obviously this will depend on your speed and the route, but it usually takes me no more than 5hrs up and down Snowdon with a novice group (less if just plodding on Miners/Pyg). So now the darkness time is about 10pm, so you'd be back around 3am.
When's your normal bedtime, as that will affect how much of an impact that is? If I had work the next day, that would be problematic, though OK if the walk was for work as they'd understand. If I had Sunday to recover, different story.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:47:17, 22/07/20 »
I have only night hiked a few times, but have never adjusted my sleep in advance. I have set off at 0200 and saw sunrise on Snowdon summit above a cloud inversion, before descending Crib Goch and its north ridge in early morning light.

HikerHayes

« Reply #6 on: 12:54:10, 23/07/20 »
Thanks for all your replies. So the plan is to start the walk around midnight. The group are sharing driving so hoping to get a little sleep on the way as I will probably be driving back for some of it. That was my main concern really.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:32:21, 23/07/20 »
Thanks for all your replies. So the plan is to start the walk around midnight. The group are sharing driving so hoping to get a little sleep on the way as I will probably be driving back for some of it. That was my main concern really.
I frequently drive 600 miles in a day. Two trips of 4 to 5 hours each way.
I find Tesco Blue Sparkle works a treat.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:28:27, 23/07/20 »
OK, so as soon as you introduce driving it become a whole new kettle of fish. Be very careful indeed!

Its one of the reasons I don't approve of that Scafel Pike, Snowdon, Ben Nevis thing (I refuse to call it the Three Peaks because that's in Yorkshire). It often becomes far more a test of how dangerously people are prepared to drive (speed and tiredness) rather than anything to do with walking.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:53:18, 23/07/20 »
Depends how you feel on the day. Little you can do to prepare for one night up.  If there were no drive afterwards, then most would not give it a thought.  Last time I climbed Snowdon I drove home to Cornwall, through central wales, straight afterwards arrived home at daft o'clock in the morning.  But I really enjoy both walking and driving. 

Golden rule never to be broken.  If you feel tired driving, find a safe spot and stop.  Don't listed to your equally knackerd peers taking the P .That way rest assured you will have a great trip and all arrive home safely.  O0

HikerHayes

« Reply #10 on: 19:34:26, 23/07/20 »
Depends how you feel on the day. Little you can do to prepare for one night up.  If there were no drive afterwards, then most would not give it a thought.  Last time I climbed Snowdon I drove home to Cornwall, through central wales, straight afterwards arrived home at daft o'clock in the morning.  But I really enjoy both walking and driving. 

Golden rule never to be broken.  If you feel tired driving, find a safe spot and stop.  Don't listed to your equally knackerd peers taking the P .That way rest assured you will have a great trip and all arrive home safely.  O0

I'm thinking of driving up there myself atleast then I can decide how I'm feeling on the way home, maybe even having a little sleep before setting off for home or, as said, stopping for a break on the way home.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:02:25, 24/07/20 »
I've done three nights hikes but never thought about adjusting my sleep pattern, I always carried my tent though, and never once did I walk through to dawn. I've had the experience but then decided that it was not for me.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:24:01, 27/07/20 »
I do this most years, during New Years eve, but only when the weather will allow it.

The all important thing to remember, is that if the weather is poor, then turn around, and come home.

I suppose i am in the fortunate position, of living in very close proximity to the mountain, so within an hour or so, i can be parked in llanberis, but i always look at the weather conditions.

Two years ago, the weather was so poor at the summit, during New Year, that many people were turning around at Clogwyn, thinking it too dangerous to continue.

Well, i did continue, using the railway as a visibility guide, and got momentarily lost around the back of the Hafod Eryri building, and had it not been for the adjacent railway line, which i knew was off to my left, heaven knows where i would have ended up.

Just look at the weather forecast, adjust your expected walking time, and ensure you have a good head torch.

Soldiering on, whatever the weather conditions, ive discovered, is not a sensible thing to do.

Just take your time, and if your still committed to reaching the summit, use the easier llanberis Path to the top.

Its longer, and will probably take at least three hours to the top, but its an easier route when navigating in the dark.

The thing about traversing a mountain as high as Snowdon, in the dark, is that it takes quite a bit longer to reach the top.

Your familiar with the route, but somehow your afraid that your going to stumble or fall, do to the poor visibility around you.

I normally reach the summit in around two and a bit hours from the llanberis, but in darkness, its well over three.

If its misty, then its particularly challenging, but just take care, and realise it will take you a fair bit longer to get up and down, than if your doing it in the daytime
« Last Edit: 15:33:58, 27/07/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy