Author Topic: TR 2 dayer from Thirlspot Sat 1 to Sun 2 Sep 18  (Read 1942 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1

We got off the bus at Thirlspot. We were going over Raise and Hart Side and hoped to pitch on Common Fell. The weather looked great at the start with the cloud above the tops except for a little on Raise. We hoped it would lift by the time we got there.

Looking back toward Thirlmere and Raven Crag from the way up to Brown Crag

Skiddaw in the distance

I realised I had took the wrong path when we got a bit higher up. We were on the Old Pony route to Helvellyn instead of the path toward Fisherplace Gill. There was a path that carried on upward in the direction we wanted to go so I think others may have made the same mistake I did. Or they like going up steep routes  :D

Watson's Dodd and Stybarrow Dodd

We met up with the Brown Crag route and followed this part of the way up White Side before bearing left toward Raise. We stopped for our lunch near Brund Gill dismayed to see the clag descend and the tops were cloud capped.

White Side free of cloud for a short time

Beefy on Raise

We were in the clag but there was blue sky above us

On the way to Sticks Pass

The mist put on a bit of a show

On the way to White Stones

Out of the clag, hurray. Not for long. The clag had descended by the time we got to White Stones

Beefy on Hart Side

We were out of the cloud here but all the other tops were covered in clag

Beefy on Birkett Fell

A peep of Ullswater. Thank you Lord Birkett for saving it from becoming a reservoir in the 1960’s.

A weather front to the south and coming our way looked really menacing so we decided to pitch early we didn't want to get caught in it. We looked around for a pitch hidden from view from the paths.

The MSR below Birkett Fell

We found one with a nice view of Dowthwaite Head and it was out of the worst of the wind too.

Gowbarrow Fell and Ullswater

We got some water from a nearby beck and a had a brew. The rain that threatened hadn't arrived but we were pleased with our pitch.

The Mell Fells and Dowthwaite Head

Not a bad spot

Mist and clag descended about 5 o'clock as we were making our tea. No sunset view sadly. It also started raining. We had some wine and had an early night. Day 1 was Thirlspot - Brown Crag - Raise - White Stones - Hart Side - Birkett Fell - pitch below. 9.2 km with 778m ascent

Day 2

Despite the wind that had picked up overnight and the rain hitting the tent we had a good sleep and we were up and away by 8.40. It had stopped raining for us but the views were very gloomy. We were going to descend to Park Brow on a path we'd not been down (or up) before.

On the way down to Brown Hills

On the miners path below Brown Hills

On the way to Park Brow

We'd took a right through a gate on the path to Park Brow. This was the new route for us. It was a very nice route to start, dry and easy walking.

Ullswater view

Another view of Ullswater from lower down

The route was wet in places as we neared Park Brow and it wasn't as easy underfoot

Ullswater and Hallin Fell in view

The bracken was high in places and our trousers were getting a bit wet

The wonderful view of Ullswater where we had our lunch

Shame about the telegraph pole. I would imagine cable car poles (or whatever they are called) would be bigger than this? See this if you have no idea what I’m referring to http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37014.0

We got to Park Brow and there were a lot of people on the way up to Aira Force. We gave it a miss, we had thought it might be more quiet, people already going home after their holidays. We walked to Glencoyne to get our bus. The rain got us before we got on the bus, so we didn't quite beat the weather. Day 2 was Birkett Fell pitch - Brown Hills - Park Brow - Aira Force Car Park - Glencoyne 8km with 90m ascent. It wasn't a bad weekend all in all but we could have done with more sunshine.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 2 dayer from Thirlspot Sat 1 to Sun 2 Sep 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:43:49, 03/09/18 »
Great pics Ape O0
Hope we get better weather this weekend  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:47:52, 03/09/18 »
Looks like you were pretty lucky with the weather - August has certainly gone out with a great big frown!

Certainly hope it's better this weekend - I've got a bed at Skiddaw House on Saturday and I would love some clear skies.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:56:21, 03/09/18 »
I hope we all get some good weather this weekend  :)

I am out solo tomorrow for a wild camp, I might get a sunset  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:20:58, 03/09/18 »
Tomorrow looks good April - have a great camp.  I'm walking Wednesday after a working weekend and it looks ok too.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:08:03, 03/09/18 »
Great report and photos April O0  I might be up there this week-end :D  Can you order some sunshine for me please? ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:21:07, 04/09/18 »
Thanks Henry  O0

I have ordered some sunshine but it might not be delivered  ;)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:40:21, 04/09/18 »

Beautiful view from your tent, April. I'm not that familiar with the hills north of Helvellyn; looks like good country for a grand high promenade.

Know the Aira Force area well - when I was growing up, we used to have family holidays in a caravan at Watermillock.

And yes - thank goodness Ullswater didn't go the way of the Haweswater valley. I shudder to think.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:11:09, 04/09/18 »
Lovely photos.
Ullswater is lovely, thank God it survived.
Hope you have a good day today.

I'll view the vid this evening.

photonut

« Reply #9 on: 09:21:23, 04/09/18 »
Nice TR April, belting pics!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:59:03, 04/09/18 »
Beefy made you take the wrong path? Typical  ;D
Beefy you should be ashamed of yourself...................... :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:27:58, 04/09/18 »
Good photos there despite the clag, the cloud patterns add a lot of interest in marginal conditions like those.
We've never climbed to that ridge from the Thirlmere side.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:06:32, 05/09/18 »
Great report & pics as always April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:16:28, 05/09/18 »
Thanks Richard, Ridge, Photonut, vghikers and sunnydale  O0

@ Ridge I had a marvellous two days, trip report to follow  :)

@ Pleb Beefy has a tendency to veer off to the right  ;) Just me not concentrating  ;D
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #14 on: 10:49:10, 06/09/18 »
Another great post. I always enjoy your trip reports. And I'm jealous you live so close to somewhere so glorious!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy