Author Topic: Best time to buy new boots?  (Read 682 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Best time to buy new boots?
« on: 12:59:23, 11/09/20 »
The cancer people have given me the all clear for six months, there will not be any chemotherapy and I'm now in the hands of cardiology after a little problem was found. Hopefully my new meds won't have any nasty side effects.

It's like my life is able to start again after being put on hold for nearly 4 months. I'll be able to do all sorts of things, including driving when my incision has healed a bit more.

That brings my anticipated purchase of a new pair of boots closer, and I am wondering, given the current economic climate, if there will be a  best time to buy them?

I am taking a big guess that with the combination during lockdown of production ceasing or being limited and droves of furloughed Brits discovering the outdoors, that stocks are probably low right now.

Are there likely to be any end of season sales? I am assuming there won't be.

And what about prices? Are they currently inflated because of supply and demand? Or are they likely to increase before the end of the year? I am sure they will after 1st January!

(I have my eyes on an Italian brand, just to indicate, but I'll open a new thread on that later on.)

Any thoughts on this are welcome.
« Last Edit: 13:05:08, 11/09/20 by fernman »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Best time to buy new boots?
« Reply #1 on: 13:06:03, 11/09/20 »
That's brilliant news fernman.
Buy the [censored] as soon as you can get to the shop, whatever the price. Think how happy it will make you and how much closer to the hills. After all these months of uncertainty you deserve to treat yourself.

Though I will be paying close attention to this thread hoping for some more useful answers as I too need new boots.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:44:00, 11/09/20 »
Great to read this.  Just get out and buy the ones you want and get on with life. O0

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:02:22, 11/09/20 »
That's good news indeed.

I've found my better bargains around the bank holidays using special short term discount codes issued by the retailer (i.e. 30% Off RRP on Altberg Malham and Nordkapp at Gaynors) and but it pays to be flexible and prepared to travel to try on and in a position to buy immediately whenever a suitable bargain opportunity presents itself.

The more homework you can do beforehand the better - reading reviews, picking the makes and models and trying on etc.

"Sales" seem to be a permanent feature of the market place these days and often go on for ever!

In my experience genuine sales are very rare and are mostly limited to only one or two models in one or two mostly unpopular sizes and with only one or two pairs available for sale.

End of season or end of line clearances do still happen but tend to be much more limited these days and it's very unlikely that the best sellers in poular sizes will ever be included in these "clearance" sales.

I post most of the bargains I find in the Bargain Thread.

Unfortunately it can be a long waiting game for the right boot in the right size to appear and can never be relied upon which is why I suggested that flexibility is required with at least two or three options pre-selected.

Hope that helps. I've also PM'd you.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:29:59, 11/09/20 »
Really good to hear the news on the health front.

I’ve gone for Italian makes last four or five times I’ve bought boots (fairly slender feet). Always been pleased with the quality from both Zamberlan (last couple) and Scarpa (before that).

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:36:00, 11/09/20 »
Fantastic news! I would say don't postpone the purchase because healthy days of your life doing the things you love are so much more valuable than a few tenners saved on boots in the sales.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:14:53, 11/09/20 »
Carpe diem!  Any potential saving is not worth lost walking - you will have realised by now, time is a precious thing not to be wasted.  I do not know of anyone who ever said they wished that had done fewer trips.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:48:55, 11/09/20 »
Many thanks for all your kind words, folks, and I'm amazed at the number of responses so soon.
There's some good advice in them, but above all it's clear that I shouldn't delay. I'm weaker than I was, while my weight dropped from 12.5st to 12st before my operation, and down to 11st after my stay in hospital. Any amount of eating since then won't shift it above that. But I'm pretty confident I can start off doing 3-4 mile walks with my poles without too much trouble.

it pays to be flexible and prepared to travel to try on and in a position to buy immediately whenever a suitable bargain opportunity presents itself.

Travel might be a problem as I'm not expecting to be driving again till maybe November, I'm dependent on my dear wife to take me anywhere. I have to say that because she's been driving me to and from hospital appointments as well as doing the Tesco shop on her own since May.

As for being in a position to buy immediately, I put £200 to one side for them in my bank account so long ago it has earned 17p interest! Overall I haven't been better off for years, because I've not been going anywhere or, the biggest saving, not buying petrol.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:36:02, 11/09/20 »
Brilliant news Fernman  O0

Everyone's already said what I was going to say so just go buy some and get walking.  At least you can blame the low/slow mileage on "breaking your new boots in"  :D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:54:30, 11/09/20 »
I hope all goes well, if no boots, get your trainers on! Just getting out of the house every day made me feel better. As soon as I was out of hospital I decided on a daily walk through my favourite wood every day of the week, rain or shine! The short route was about a mile, the longer one about 2 miles. The joy of life after a big operation is something that I will never forget.

I had 5 puncture marks in my abdomen and I was told not to drive, but secetly between you and I, I did! During the first week after coming out of hospital I still had a catheter in and a bag strapped to my lower leg. I pulled two belts around my hips (to hold myself in) it was daft really, it was only anxiety and anger that made me do it.

My wife gave up moaning at me within a couple of days!

Get well soon!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:00:21, 11/09/20 »
The cancer people have given me the all clear for six months, there will not be any chemotherapy and I'm now in the hands of cardiology after a little problem was found. Hopefully my new meds won't have any nasty side effects.

It's like my life is able to start again after being put on hold for nearly 4 months. I'll be able to do all sorts of things, including driving when my incision has healed a bit more.

Great news, Fernman.

Boots do seem to be selling fast. I couldn't find any Anatom Braeriachs in Ambleside or Kendal yesterday, so settled for some cheaper Hi Tec boots. The guy in Blacks said that they had only got them in a couple fo days ago, and that they were flying off the shelves.

So there is no best time to buy boots, other than before you need them!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

« Reply #11 on: 18:17:02, 11/09/20 »
Brilliant news Fernman, go on treat yourself, you deserve it  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy