Author Topic: Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing  (Read 9146 times)

RobertJames

Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing
« on: 22:14:14, 08/04/19 »
From the 4th April Daily Mail article..

A daily 20-minute stroll in the great outdoors has been found to dramatically lower stress levels and boost wellbeing.
Scientists claim to have discovered that spending between 20-30 minutes amongst nature could cut levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, by about 10 per cent. The new study found that after 30 minutes the wellbeing benefits of being outside continued to increase but at sharply reduced rate, the Times reported. Spending time connected to nature has previously been suggested as a low-cost way of combating health issues including high-blood pressure and mental health problems.

health/article-6884101/Daily-20-minute-walk-outdoors-nature-cuts-stress.html

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing
« Reply #1 on: 22:40:55, 08/04/19 »
From the 4th April Daily Mail article..

A daily 20-minute stroll in the great outdoors has been found to dramatically lower stress levels and boost wellbeing.
Scientists claim to have discovered that spending between 20-30 minutes amongst nature could cut levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, by about 10 per cent. The new study found that after 30 minutes the wellbeing benefits of being outside continued to increase but at sharply reduced rate, the Times reported. Spending time connected to nature has previously been suggested as a low-cost way of combating health issues including high-blood pressure and mental health problems.

health/article-6884101/Daily-20-minute-walk-outdoors-nature-cuts-stress.html

Interesting, the shrinks say I suffer from a psychotic disorder and nature doesn't help with the symptoms of that. It does improve my mood though which I'm sure most of the members here also experience, so you'd expect it to help with negative mood disorders. It's probably not news to us that it has these effects?

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:18:14, 08/04/19 »
It's no really news to those ofbus who walk,  garden ect certainly helped me recover from depression.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:16:40, 12/04/19 »
Going for a decent walk certainly helped me clear my head when I was suffering from work related stress.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:57:44, 12/04/19 »
The job I did for nearly thirty years involved driving and working with the public - fifty-two calls a week, and it was almost like being self-employed, things didn't end when you got home after the last call of the day. It was both physically and mentally demanding, and a few days walking and wild camping alone in north Wales' mountains was a perfect antidote.
Unfortunately, though, the beneficial effects it had on me only lasted a week or two at the most.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:05:10, 12/04/19 »
Walking definitely helps to relieve stress. When I was trucking and was waiting to get unloaded at a distribution depot we had to wait with our vehicles until called to back on a loading bay. This could take anything up to four hours. Used to drive me potty wasting so much time.

I often used to get out of the cab and walk around the whole thing, trailer and cab, over and over again. Ten, twenty, thirty, or more times. It did help. I could switch off from my surroundings, made me feel better knowing that I was actually doing something useful.

Parked up at night, I often went for a walk, wherever I was.

ilona

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:56:03, 12/04/19 »
When I set off on a walk I can be happy or stressed, but whatever mood I`m in a type of calmness comes over me after covering maybe five miles.

Sometimes it`s like mild euphoria. Most people know that endorphins are produced with exercise and it is one of the reasons I push on sometimes when walking, rather than stroll all the way. The harder I push the quicker and more obvious is the feel good mood when it arrives....then I can stroll, take pics, or just take in the scenery, till the end of my walk.

The feel good mood lasts around 36 hours or so for me...better than any drug I reckon..It is the knowing about this effect that makes me start preparing for my next hike and get outside time & time again... O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:04:19, 12/04/19 »
I find I start to emotionally "unknot" after about 2 miles of pootling and just taking in my surroundings.  It does have to be in the countryside and in daylight though.  Doing 2 miles urban walking at night does absolutely nothing for me.

In fact, it's a beautiful evening and ..... WHY.... am I sat at my computer?  :-[

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:19:44, 12/04/19 »
In fact, it's a beautiful evening and ..... WHY.... am I sat at my computer?  :-[

Some people think it's God's plan. I've got my own ideas. If there's somewhere nice local you can pop out to there's just about enough time left before the sun fully sets.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:27:33, 12/04/19 »
Lots of nice local walks.  Trouble is, I do them so regularly I get bored of them and they end up functional walks - my scenic routes to the shops, for example.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:35:10, 12/04/19 »
I find that after a mile or so in the hills it seems like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. My breathing gets deeper and easier and my mind drifts away from everyday things.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:18:49, 12/04/19 »
I find walking gives me a feeling of freedom and well-being, and I often set off with a sense of adventure. During the winter most of my walks were rural fringe and urban, and I enjoyed them, but getting right out into the countryside again now spring is here has been so life-enhancing. Being out there, preferably in solitude, does so much for me.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:12:40, 13/04/19 »
I find walking gives me a feeling of freedom and well-being, and I often set off with a sense of adventure. During the winter most of my walks were rural fringe and urban, and I enjoyed them, but getting right out into the countryside again now spring is here has been so life-enhancing. Being out there, preferably in solitude, does so much for me.
Yes I find the winter does stifle things a bit. When I was young I would walk in any weather and enjoy the challenge but in my wiser years (wiser=dotage)  :P . I now aim for walks in sunshine and higher temperatures...its good for mind and body !I did a 6 mile walk today but the wind was biting. Fortunately I found a sheltered spot in full sun towards the end of the walk, to sit and contemplate life, and it was a great way to finish off.
« Last Edit: 15:18:34, 13/04/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:14:26, 13/04/19 »
Being out there, preferably in solitude, does so much for me.

That's one thing I preferred about the South Downs to the Lakes, less people! On the other hand it's interesting to talk to the people in the Lakes about the area.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:08:56, 14/04/19 »
I usually spend the mornings around the house, (not housework I might add), sewing, arts and crafts, popping on and off the computer, drinking coffee, etc. By the time the afternoon comes I have a need to go out. The sun is deceiving at the moment, it looks lovely from behind glass but get out there and it's very chilly.

Yesterday I did a five mile local walk. Paths along field edges, the main crop around here is turf.
Beautiful.

And then I found this.

Ooops sorry, I should have put this in environmental. I have reported it to the Council.

ilona

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy