Author Topic: Is this normal to feel more tire on a walking boot (compared to a Nike trainer)  (Read 1500 times)

Starkiwi26

Dear fellow members,

I am currently using this boot: "Berghaus Men's Supalite 2 GTX Boot"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Mens-Supalite-Brown-Chocolate/dp/B00SHH2LQO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=%22Berghaus+Men%27s+Supalite+2+GTX+Boot%22&qid=1601767525&s=shoes&sr=1-1-fkmr0 [nofollow]

It provides good protection and waterproof.

Due to the Covid lockdown, I cannot go peak district for walking, therefore I do all my walking nearby my house recently. I notice, for the same 12 miles walking route, I am significantly more tire when I did the walk with this boot, but I feel obviously less tire when I did the walk on a pair of Nike trainer (on a dry day).

My questions:

a) Is this normal to feel more tire on a walking boot (compared to a Nike trainer)?
b) Is there something wrong with my walking boot?

Thanks.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
If the route is relatively flat, maybe even on roads (you don't say), then it's highly likely the trainer will be better for you.  Doesn't mean your boots are faulty.
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
I am not sure about the math but I can only say what I feel is true , and that yes walking with boots consumes more energy than walking with light trainers .
So it stands to reason that you might notice you feel more tired after a 12 mile walk .

Especially if your boots feel uncomfortable or hurt in any way then I am pretty sure a person would feel more tired because our bodies naturally shy away from pain and our gaits would alter on every step and become unnatural , but then that is the same for any footwear .

When you think about the centrifugal forces created at the tips of our feet then those heavier boots would add a fair bit of extra effort needed to swing them forwards and backwards over thousands of steps....
Have you ever walked across a muddy field and felt the mud getting heavier with every step as it sticks to the soles...

Climbers preparing for the first ascent of Mount Everest in 1953 formulated a rule of thumb; one pound on your feet equals five pounds on your back.
http://www.fjaderlatt.se/2009/11/weight-on-your-feet.html

There are some interesting replies at the bottom of the article hotlinked .

PS. I wear boots because they afford much more protection from brambles , rocks etc and are also waterproof (mostly) .  ;)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
One of my tasks is to declare if our planned walk is a going to be a “boot” walk or a “shoe” walk.  Usually the choice is easy but sometimes I err on the side of caution especially after bad weather.  My walk log shows that, on average, our walks with boots rather than shoes over equivalent surfaces are between 0.3 to 0.5 km/hr slower.  Given that we try to put the same amount of effort into walking in either shoes or boots, this implies that, unsurprisingly, boots require more effort than shoes so we should be more tired at the end.  However, I cannot say I have noticed much difference in reality.  I suspect that over time, we have acquired the knack of producing a fairly sustainable work rate.  However, we have both noticed that after a certain distance, it does not seem to matter how far we go, we both feel we have had enough walking with between 500m to a km to go, irrespective of our chosen footwear!
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I think you are all right about boots and trainers. When I'm hiking I just sometimes feel a strong need to take off my boots and walk for a different kind of comfort in the lightweight trainers I take with me. Usually when I'm walking on tarmac. I've met people who claim that they only hike in trainers, or off road running shoes, personally I've never tried it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I think you are all right about boots and trainers. When I'm hiking I just sometimes feel a strong need to take off my boots and walk for a different kind of comfort in the lightweight trainers I take with me. Usually when I'm walking on tarmac. I've met people who claim that they only hike in trainers, or off road running shoes, personally I've never tried it.
I have.  In respect of my previous post, when I have sometimes made the wrong call and selected "shoes" when the walk should have been "boots", the effect on our average speed can be quite dramatic - shoes can up to 1 km/hr slower than boots over the equivalent surface and much more tiring.  This is down to a combination of having to pick our path far more carefully and the lack of foot support on rougher/slippery surfaces.
Solvitur Ambulando

cornwallcoastpathdweller

i have been known to pack a pair of trainers in my rucsac to change into when i know there is a fair amount of 'pavement' type walking midway on a route.  Give the feet a bit of a rest almost and is noticably easier with the lighter weight.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
i have been known to pack a pair of trainers in my rucsac to change into when i know there is a fair amount of 'pavement' type walking midway on a route.  Give the feet a bit of a rest almost and is noticably easier with the lighter weight.
I have thought of that, but in my case most of the walks I do that need both boots and shoes would mean more time in shoes than boots and I don't fancy carrying my boots, especially as these days I rarely walk with a pack at all.  I did once suggest to Mrs N that we tie the laces of our boots together and sling them round our necks.  I now know what writers mean by an old-fshioned look.
Solvitur Ambulando

cornwallcoastpathdweller

I have thought of that, but in my case most of the walks I do that need both boots and shoes would mean more time in shoes than boots and I don't fancy carrying my boots, especially as these days I rarely walk with a pack at all.  I did once suggest to Mrs N that we tie the laces of our boots together and sling them round our necks.  I now know what writers mean by an old-fshioned look.

Yes it does swing both ways, but i find the feet enjoy the change, also a good oppo to get some air onto the feet especially in hot weather, reduces sweating and blister potential.  i always walk with a bag so no trouble to carry, sometimes if a few miles on sand i'll take Crocs instead so i can have a paddle along the waters edge.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Starkiwi26

Thanks for all comments.Nike trainer probably too flexible and soft for walking. Therefore I am thinking to get a pair of walking shoe.For a rough walk, I will use my boot: "Berghaus Men's Supalite 2 GTX Boot"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Mens-Supalite-Brown-Chocolate/dp/B00SHH2LQO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=%22Berghaus+Men%27s+Supalite+2+GTX+Boot%22&qid=1601767525&s=shoes&sr=1-1-fkmr0 [nofollow]

For an easier walk, I can go for a walking shoe instead, less tire and therefore can walk more distance.
I am looking at 3 options below, could you comment please?

a) SALOMON Men's Outline GTX
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salomon-OUTline-hiking-shoes-black/dp/B076JK95RS/ref=pd_lpo_309_t_0/261-8672139-9114217?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08FD75975&pd_rd_r=e8ce54b6-3790-42a0-935e-cb9fed777453&pd_rd_w=yNQDA&pd_rd_wg=tbjUQ&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=240TA9RHQH4DMK1J5WF9&psc=1&refRID=240TA9RHQH4DMK1J5WF9 [nofollow]

b) Nike Men's ACG Zoom Terra Zaherra
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nike-Terra-Zaherra-Running-Blue-Black/dp/B084KTCCZB/ref=pd_lpo_309_t_0/261-8672139-9114217?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08HWQXJRS&pd_rd_r=a6c025cf-158e-4248-9fcb-bcfcbf1e60ec&pd_rd_w=AxATp&pd_rd_wg=U4EPi&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=20WTJEKAYDSW0NYG86EA&refRID=20WTJEKAYDSW0NYG86EA&th=1&psc=1 [nofollow]

c) Adidas Men's Terrex Free Hiker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-Terrex-Fitness-Multicolour- [nofollow]
Negb%C3%A1s/dp/B07NYWMLBP/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1KNNIWA0M76XM&dchild=1&keywords=adidas%2Bfree%2Bhiker&qid=1601933534&s=shoes&sprefix=adidas%2Bfree%2Bhiker%2Cshoes%2C184&sr=1-1&th=1&psc=1 [nofollow]

Starkiwi26

-- deleted and simplified --

Starkiwi26

Starkiwi26

Starkiwi26

Starkiwi26

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy