Author Topic: TR Potten End to Ivinghoe Beacon  (Read 1467 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR Potten End to Ivinghoe Beacon
« on: 22:18:12, 19/05/20 »
This is my first driven-to walk since the beginning of lockdown.

Potten End is a small place between Hemel Hempstead and Berhamstead. I used the satnav on my phone to drive there and at one point it was sending me twice round the same village green until I refused to follow it and drove off. So, 35 mins after leaving home, I was parking up outside the the village pub. I booted up and set off. Down Vicarage Road, not the one where Watford FC play, and in to the woods.

Things felt a little later than at home and there were still masses of bluebells.

The woods were quite open but it was nice to be under the trees on what was becoming a very warm day.

The thing I had been looking for, at last a small clump of wild garlic

I was walking along the edge of the escarpment but the trees obscured any views.
At last an opening with a view of Aldbury

Back in to the trees and then suddenly out to the Bridgewater Moument. It was built in 1832 in memory of the 3rd Duke.

Back in to the trees as I headed on towards the beacon. I treated myself to a very expensive ice cream in the carpark for the beacon. and then joined the picnickers heading up.

People were spacing out sensibly and avoiding each other.
The views from the top are huge.

The chalk lion below Whipsnade Zoo.

Doubling back on my self I then dropped down off the ridge on the Icknield Way

And then there was wild garlic everywhere.

I ended up talking to 2 separate couples here both of whom were also out for their first drive and walk after lockdown.
First bluebells, then wild garlic and now lambs!

Onward through Ringshall and then suddenly White Park cattle.

Down the Golden Valley. I don't know if it is named because of all the buttercups but they were lovely.
It was so nice walking down the dry valley I almost changed my planned route to follow it for further but in the end I didn't.

Across a HUGE field

To Nettledon, a pretty village with old church, old cottages and more Ranger Rovers than people.

Finally back to Potten End after an absolutely stunning 15.5 miles.

« Last Edit: 22:22:53, 19/05/20 by Ridge »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Potten End to Ivinghoe Beacon
« Reply #1 on: 22:53:12, 19/05/20 »
Lovely photos, beautiful ramsons (finished here), interesting country, especially the Golden Valley.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:08:57, 19/05/20 »
Lovely big skies and could almost smell the garlic from here :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:17:27, 19/05/20 »
Lovely photos, beautiful ramsons (finished here), interesting country, especially the Golden Valley.
Thanks, I thought that I had missed them for this year but they were amazing. The beacon, and the rest of the ridgeway are on chalk so the river that you would expect to be i the valley is probably underground. I didn't see any running water all day.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:18:08, 19/05/20 »
Lovely big skies and could almost smell the garlic from here :)
It was really strong.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:58:51, 20/05/20 »
That looks a beautiful walk Ridge O0
We are lucky to have such varied landscapes on  this little island we live on  :)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:04:01, 20/05/20 »
I used to live in that area.  Did you see any wallabies near Whipsnade?
Or the more frightening DLT.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:17:16, 20/05/20 »
Lovely pics Ridge and glad you got to see the bluebells and wild garlic! And lambs are always uplifting to see. :)

I thought I recognised the monument and Golden Valley photos and then I realised they are in the NTs Ashridge estate where we stopped off for a walk once. I recall it was autumn and we were on our way to our daughters in Reading and were hoping to get some good autumn colours but we were too early. We did see some deer and hear them (it was during the rutting season). Our daughter has now moved to Watlington so we are hoping to walk the Ridgeway sometime as it passes only a mile from her.

Edit - The Golden Valley may be so called because of the autumn colours there?
« Last Edit: 08:20:24, 20/05/20 by rural roamer »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:42:23, 20/05/20 »
No wallabies Steamy.

Thanks RR. I've just read up a bit about the Golden Valley and discovered that it is entirely man made. It was built by Capability Brown when landscaping the grounds of Ashridge House.

E2A
More info here if you are interested
http://www.capabilitybrown.org/sites/default/files/capability_brown_at_ashridge_leaflet.pdf
There are no water features in the scheme, which is very unusual foe Capability Brown, because it is all on chalk.
« Last Edit: 08:46:41, 20/05/20 by Ridge »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:57:20, 20/05/20 »
A super walk and pics  O0
We walked the Ridgeway back in 2002 but I can't remember a thing about that section up to the Beacon, apart from wondering why a national trail would end out there in the middle of nowhere. I'm certain it all looked a lot better on your sunny day than our October one.  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:14:53, 20/05/20 »
Thanks VG.
I guess the Beacon is a place to head to as a definite end point. Having a national trail which petered out on the edge of Hemel Hempstead would be a bit depressing but you are right there is nothing there. Unless you get someone to meet you in the car park you've got a fair walk out to get to any transport.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:17:39, 20/05/20 »
Your first drive to walk walk looks an absolutely smashing one.  At 15.5 miles, no wonder you opted for ice cream AND tea and cake.

That forest of wild garlic looks absolutely amazing  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:31:26, 20/05/20 »
Thanks Mel. Mrs R is baking like it's going out of fashion, she may be solely responsible for the flour shortage. I've just had a piece of homemade Grasmere gingerbread.

The wood is on a really steep slope so the wild garlic just went up and up in front of me which doesn't come over on the photos.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:02:41, 20/05/20 »
I've just had a piece of homemade Grasmere gingerbread.

How did she make that I thought it was a secret recipe!  :D  I love that gingerbread, please tell  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:12:16, 20/05/20 »
How did she make that I thought it was a secret recipe!  :D  I love that gingerbread, please tell  ;D
It's not quite the same, it is thicker and doesn't have the squidgy layer in the middle but it is very nice.

E2A - Sarah Nelson's do mail order.

Advice from Mrs R
Use at least 4 tsp of ginger. It has to be hard marg or butter
« Last Edit: 18:27:15, 20/05/20 by Ridge »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy