Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292358 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #945 on: 14:32:13, 23/12/19 »
A pair of Extremities inner knitted gloves.
The Blacks store in llandudno is having a total refit, so instead of moving all their gear to another store of theirs, they are heavily discounting everything.
The gloves were  £4,99, down from £8, and their very close fitting and rather warm.
The store has got some very tempting items, all with substantial discounts.

Patrick1

« Reply #946 on: 14:59:42, 23/12/19 »
The Inverness Blacks had just such a "closing down" sale. Which lasted about six months, never ran out of stock, and, on looking into it in a bit more detail, was providing no greater "discount" than they have intermittently throughout the year anyway. Eventually they "Re-opened" and sold the same things at the same prices in a standard "sale". Obviously if you've found something and are happy with the price then that's great, but Blacks has had too many sales for me to believe that most of these items were ever intended to sell at full price, and I think the "Closing down" / "Refit" thing is just a marketing ploy.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #947 on: 19:06:55, 23/12/19 »
I recon your spot on with that.
Some of the clothing was well discounted, big named stuff as well, such as Mountain Hardwear, Berghaus, and The North Face.
Their closing down for refurbishment ploy, certainly worked, as the weekend was heaving with lots of customers, and most of them appeared to be buying things.

I was tempted to indulge in buying a Mountain Hardwear jacket, but as i didn't need it, went for the gloves instead.

The gloves on the other hand, were great value, especially the Sealskinz and Extremities, which were priced at very tempting prices.

It will be interesting to see how long the closing down sale lasts, but as you say, it sounds like a cunning ploy to get the customers in to spend spend spend for Christmas

Hadrian

« Reply #948 on: 19:26:15, 23/12/19 »
I’ve bought a few items from Blacks’ website and often found their pricing to be competitive when compared to Cotswold Outdoors, Go Outdoors or Amazon. It’s convenient for me to collect from my nearest Millets so there’s a saving on P&P.

FOX160

« Reply #949 on: 13:18:05, 26/12/19 »
« Last Edit: 13:21:47, 26/12/19 by FOX160 »

FOX160

« Reply #950 on: 13:23:16, 26/12/19 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #951 on: 20:02:26, 26/12/19 »
That looks a real cutie! With a hiking pole in place you will be able to raise or lower the apex of your tent to suit your circumstances at the time. I do that when I use my tarp. Which tent is it please and was it pricey?

EnglishHiker

« Reply #952 on: 20:30:58, 28/12/19 »
Santa brought me a pair of Montane Super Terra trousers and a Osprey Kestrel 38 backpack. Cant wait to try them out.
Check out my new blog at
www.EnglishHiker.co.uk [nofollow]

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #953 on: 22:21:35, 28/12/19 »
Which tent is it please and was it pricey?
Looks like the Plexamid Zpacks which he mentioned on this thread (8/12).
Looks quite pricey to me. But each to their own priorities.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Magic girl

« Reply #954 on: 20:10:51, 31/12/19 »
I bought some smartwool 250 merino tops with my Christmas money x

Lee R

« Reply #955 on: 12:14:40, 01/01/20 »
I had two pairs of nice hiking socks & a foam, foldable sit mat for Christmas (as did my other half) & bought a new waterproof jacket & a cheap down-style small jacket too.

Mark101

« Reply #956 on: 18:39:26, 01/01/20 »

BCB Crusader cook set. For water, coffee and noodles on the go.
My Christmas present. Happy days
Walking for relaxation

Little Foot

« Reply #957 on: 20:01:19, 01/01/20 »
Bought my son a pair of Trespass waterproof walking boots. They were fairly cheap at £27, but I doubt he'll be getting much use out of them before growing out of them. He wore them today for a 2 mile walk and he says they are comfy. Just hope they are waterproof like it states.

What was annoying was I tried Blacks for footwear but they have stopped selling children's footwear completely. I ended up getting his boots from Trespass and walking socks from Sports Direct. I bought him Trespass socks last year and they were awful. Shrunk quite a bit and ended up getting pulls all over.

Hadrian

« Reply #958 on: 20:11:38, 01/01/20 »
Bought my son a pair of Trespass waterproof walking boots. They were fairly cheap at £27, but I doubt he'll be getting much use out of them before growing out of them. He wore them today for a 2 mile walk and he says they are comfy. Just hope they are waterproof like it states.

What was annoying was I tried Blacks for footwear but they have stopped selling children's footwear completely. I ended up getting his boots from Trespass and walking socks from Sports Direct. I bought him Trespass socks last year and they were awful. Shrunk quite a bit and ended up getting pulls all over.

I’ve been using this waterproofing spray on my Merrells for the last couple of months. Works well and goes a long way.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893437/nikwax-fabric-and-leather-proof-spray-300ml-15893437

Little Foot

« Reply #959 on: 20:16:58, 01/01/20 »

I’ve been using this waterproofing spray on my Merrells for the last couple of months. Works well and goes a long way.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893437/nikwax-fabric-and-leather-proof-spray-300ml-15893437

Thanks for the info! I could do with some of that for my own boots too since I've had them a while.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy