Author Topic: Difficulty Eating on Long Walks  (Read 2734 times)

bigalxyz

Difficulty Eating on Long Walks
« on: 11:17:04, 26/05/18 »
Hello forum,

I do some long hikes from time to time. Did exactly that yesterday with a friend of mine.

I have an odd problem...when on a long walk, I rarely eat a thing. No hunger at all, and the thought of eating makes me feel slightly queasy. Once the walk is over and I've had a bit of a rest, however, I shovel food in like Homer Simpson.

Happened that way yesterday. Walked 15 miles with some stiff climbs, on nothing more than a cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee before we set off. Got to the end of the walk and started to feel very peculiar - very shaky, a bit faint, cold, irritable. Suddenly very hungry and scoffed a big portion of fish & chips in no time at all. Started to feel better after that. Fine now.

My friend told me off, said it's important to have something to eat on a long walk. I dare say he's right, but I'm puzzled as to why I have no interest in food if my body is in need of it. I suppose by the end of the walk, my blood sugar levels were all over the place. Probably very low.

Would be grateful for any comments/advice. Tempted to try to force something down in future when on a long walk, even if it's just a handful of nuts from time to time.

Puzzling...

Thanks
A
« Last Edit: 11:24:28, 26/05/18 by bigalxyz »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Difficulty Eating on Long Walks
« Reply #1 on: 13:39:25, 26/05/18 »
If you are in reasonable walking trim you should not need a lot of food for a 15 mile walk.  Some folk have a bag of trail mix in a pocket that they graze on as they go, I prefer having a few cereal bars that I can nibble as I go, but like you I rarely feel hungry while walking. Moreover, I hate stopping for a sit down break as it breaks my rhythm and I find it  takes a while to get going again after a stop.

You just have to discipline your self to nibble and more importantly drink as you go. If you wait until you get hungry or thirsty it is already too late as far as your system is concerned.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:42:35, 26/05/18 »
For what its worth I don't eat much when I'm hiking, not every day of course, on some days I feel ravenous. I have been known to buy 6 plain yogurts and eat them one after the other, or buy a large can of Ambrosia custard or rice pudding and eat the lot. I do not cook when hiking, do not have breakfast only water, but on odd days will have a choccy bar or munch a few nuts as I stroll. I like to save myself for the evening. find a pub or restaurant, beer, wine a good meal, linger a while, then find my tent and sleep.

As for advice, something that people (some consider themselves experts in their field) have given me all my life. I listen, if it makes sense OK, if not I tend to ignore it.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:55:03, 26/05/18 »
If you are worried that things are not right go and have a check up with the doctor. They can find out a lot about your health from a blood and water samples. For the sake of an appointment don't let it spoil your enjoyment from walking.

Regards Keith

dank86

« Reply #4 on: 21:20:04, 26/05/18 »
I'm similar but with cycling, I can happily cycle 80 miles on a cup of coffee and a sandwich before I leave. I'll drink while I'm going to keep fluids up.

It's fairly common amount my cycling friends and we think it's something to do with energy expenditure. To digest food takes energy and if our bodies are calling for all available energy then digestion isnt going to be efficient and is likely to cause issues and slow you down.

When I'm hiking though I can eat to my heart's content (when I remember to eat).

The cold, shakes and faint feelings is very likely to be low blood sugar. When you stop walking your body starts to focus on its other needs rather than keeping you going then it suddenly realises you need food fast hence the pig out

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:13:05, 26/05/18 »
I seldom feel hungry when walking, I tend to graze as I'm moving along. On long days I do stop for lunch. Usually a sandwich? Be sure to drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather. When I get a bit dehydrated I lose my appitite completely, lose energy and can feel dizzy.  Time for more fluids.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:56:08, 26/05/18 »
It's fairly common amount my cycling friends and we think it's something to do with energy expenditure. To digest food takes energy and if our bodies are calling for all available energy then digestion isnt going to be efficient and is likely to cause issues and slow you down.
Interesting theory, I am also not usually very hungry when walking. I'm certainly much more peckish when I'm at work.

What I do is split my food in to small amounts to consume every hour or so and I will also frequently decide before I set off where I will eat.

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 23:06:22, 26/05/18 »
When I'm out hiking I'll always have nibbles to hand, home made flapjacks and home made fruit leather is always good.

I don't have issues with not wanting to eat when hiking but I do know I do sometimes forget because i sometimes switch to autopilot

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:09:31, 27/05/18 »

I'll tend not to have breakfast, just a mug of tea and an early start, mid morning stop for  a bowl of syrup porridge (get the carbs replaced) and another cup of tea. Then mainly 'snacks' (Granola bars, flapjacks etc) until full evening meal. Supper is a Mug of cocoa, a bar of chocolate (small) and another flapjack.

Many of the 'pound shops' (Home bargains, Poundstretcher, Wise Owl etc) seem to have started selling high calorie flapjacks for around 27p-47p each.
500+ calories and available in all sorts of flavours and with / without a chocolate coating. Normally about 6 months BB date.
Very tasty and always a few in the cupboard at home

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:10:57, 27/05/18 »

I hardly ever eat when walking even days up to 30 miles. I have to make myself eat. I have a bag of dried fruit and nuts which are relatively high calorie for their weight and just snack on these. I am just as bad with drinking water and as I have got older it does affect me so I make sure I drink these days.

Getting into a calorie debt is actually good for you - it helps stop you from becoming insulin resistant which is a prelude to diabetes.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:20:11, 27/05/18 »
I think dank's explanation hit the nail on the head about your body concentrating on expending energy on the task in hand - walking.

I tend to trickle feed little and often to stop me from feeling lightheaded and wibbly. If I ate a big lunch in one go mid walk I'd get heartburn and feel sick once I carried on. Always ravenous after a walk though.

Walk - snacks - cuppa - shower - meal - wine - sleep.....perfect.

MichaelUK

« Reply #11 on: 16:13:38, 27/05/18 »
Same here. I walk 20 or so miles, take a banana and a couple of oat bars and a flask of coffee, must have my coffee. I also go out with a long distance walking group, and its amazing to see what some people put away on a stop! I wouldnt want to start walking again.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:41:22, 27/05/18 »
I would definitely try the grazing approach. You will get the walk done more quickly too, if you don't stop for lunch. The important thing is to drink plenty. I find I am less hungry when it is warm, though do usually stop to eat something, usually a sandwich. I usually take an apple too but if it is cold, I loose all interest in fruit.

The fact you feel strange at the end of the walk suggests a low blood sugar level. This could present a risk if you had something difficult to do towards the end. Cereal bars should help as might some chocolate but if you suspect anything serious is wrong, or if this is something which has suddenly started up (as opposed to a problem you have always had), see a doctor!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:15:44, 27/05/18 »
About halfway through a walk I like to stop and have something to eat - eg sandwiches, a few grapes - and I rather look forward to it. I may have something extra at some other stage of the walk but I tend not to graze.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #14 on: 20:48:22, 27/05/18 »
I hardly ever eat when walking even days up to 30 miles. I have to make myself eat. I have a bag of dried fruit and nuts which are relatively high calorie for their weight and just snack on these. I am just as bad with drinking water and as I have got older it does affect me so I make sure I drink these days.

Getting into a calorie debt is actually good for you - it helps stop you from becoming insulin resistant which is a prelude to diabetes.
Yup - same here.  If I do stop to eat, I get very hungry though. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy