Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27926 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
You're probably right about the walk length as I don't currently have camping equipment. I'm not actually sure how far I could walk now, 6 years ago I walked all day and most of the night for weeks with short rest stops where I sat down for a couple of minutes and I suspect I still could albeit at a slower pace now I'm 6 stone heavier. That was on fairly level ground though, hills might alter things. The main problem with walk length I think is catching the last public transport at the end of the day, I've slept outside without camping equipment before and don't recommend it.
« Last Edit: 20:27:19, 19/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member

After the success of Ridge's first suggestion I decided to tackle his second suggestion, Hallin Fell. I found this tougher than Latrigg (Latrigg was tougher than Walla Crag) although not by leaps and bounds. I tried to follow the route from here but on the decent the paths on the ground deviated from the route a bit and I found myself walking along a path nobody else was using. I got to here:

and slipped and fell down the hill a bit as the grassy path was steep, wet and slippery. Not knowing if I was in the right place or not and not wanting to venture further in case the path got steeper I turned around, climbed back to the summit and returned the way I'd come. So not quite the walk I wanted but enjoyable (less so the descent as I had to go so slow) and great views so thanks Ridge and on to my next adventure.

If anyone wants to see the photos they're on my Flickr.

EDIT: Shrunk the massive ViewRanger screenshot.
« Last Edit: 13:57:29, 21/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I'm pleased you had a good walk again.
You did what we all should always do when out on the hills. You assessed your position, route, fitness and the conditions and adjusted your plans accordingly

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Are those stone steps from Loughrigg Terrace called "stone pitching"? I'm investingating Gowbarrow Fell for tomorrow but it says it has stone pitching and I don't know if I want to tackle that yet. They look so damn easy to slip on but it's probably not as slippery as the wet grass was and I'm worrying about nothing...

EDIT: I googled some images of stone pitching and it seems it varies quite a lot. How does the stone pitching on Gowbarrow Fell compare to the steep steps up from Loughrigg Terrace?
« Last Edit: 18:29:41, 23/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

April

• Veteran Member
There isn't very much pitching on the fell itself that I can remember. There is a very small section if you are going up from Dockray. Unless there has been some pitching done since my last visit there? Do you mean the pitching near Aira Force? If you mean this bit, I don't think it is as steep as Loughrigg.
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
Yes. It's basically a term to indicate that the path is man-made using large stones (usually to reduce erosion).  It's the gradient they're on that makes them okay or scary.  Once you get used to them, they're actually alright... even though each stone never seem to be the length of a foot (hence why I wrote earlier that I go down them sideways).

If you look carefully near any stone pitched steps or paths, you'll see a worn "trod" just off to a side where other people have avoided walking on them too.  Shame really as they're a good idea but they need to be a little more foot-friendly.  Smaller loose stones are actually worse because they can act like marbles under your feet if the gradient is steep.

'Fraid the Lake District is full of paths like these so if you can find a way to feel safe ascending/descending (the walking poles suggested in your other topic are a good idea) then you'll feel like you've been given a freedom pass to the fells  O0

I've not done Gowbarrow so can't help on what that path is like (if the gradient is gentle then the stone pitching might be no problem).

Get some poles  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
There isn't very much pitching on the fell itself that I can remember. There is a very small section if you are going up from Dockray. Unless there has been some pitching done since my last visit there? Do you mean the pitching near Aira Force? If you mean this bit, I don't think it is as steep as Loughrigg.

Yes I think I do mean the bit near Aria Force. Thanks April.

'Fraid the Lake District is full of paths like these so if you can find a way to feel safe ascending/descending (the walking poles suggested in your other topic are a good idea) then you'll feel like you've been given a freedom pass to the fells  O0

Perhaps I should see what I make of the ones at Gowbarrow then.

Get some poles  :)

I got some today, cheap ones from Go Outdoors with a max load of 67 kg. Given I'm 140 kg I hope this is OK, I don't plan on swinging on them so I guessed it would be. I'm hoping it's easier on my knees descending too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I can offer this route up Gowbarrow, I recall it was fairly gentle up as it spirals round the fell but is steeper down as it follows a more direct route.  Follow it anticlockwise  http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2750  The loop at the top was sight seeing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I can offer this route up Gowbarrow, I recall it was fairly gentle up as it spirals round the fell but is steeper down as it follows a more direct route.  Follow it anticlockwise  http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2750

Hmm, I was going to follow this route from WalkLakes. Now I don't know which route to follow!

ninthace

• Veteran Member

Hmm, I was going to follow this route from WalkLakes. Now I don't know which route to follow!
If you don't like steeps I think you will find mine easier and you can summit bag once you are up there but of course it is your call.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
Looking at them both, ninthace's route looks the more gentle in terms of gradient. 

(Cheers ninthace, I've not done Gowbarrow yet so your route is earmarked - though I'll probably do it clockwise as that looks like it would put the steepest gradient on the way up?)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Looking at them both, ninthace's route looks the more gentle in terms of gradient. 

(Cheers ninthace, I've not done Gowbarrow yet so your route is earmarked - though I'll probably do it clockwise as that looks like it would put the steepest gradient on the way up?)
  You are right there - it is a straight pull all the way but it is the shortest way.  I like the other way as it is a bit of a balcony walk with good views over Ullswater on the way up.  The other thing is this route does all the fell rather than half of it.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member

:) The walk on the Walk Lakes website that you have posted a link to is a great walk too. It is nice to have choices  :)
Hate will never win

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
How do you tell that? Is it because it crosses less contour lines pretty much following one on the eastern side of the walk?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy