Author Topic: TR Wild camp below Ladyside Pike Sat 16 to Sun 17 Jun 18  (Read 1639 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1
The forecast for Saturday wasn't great with rain for most of the day. We got the bus to Whinlatter, we thought a forest walk would shelter us from the rain a little. When we got off the bus it was tipping it down so we abandoned plans to go up onto the fell top of Whinlatter and crossed the B5292 and into the forest at Comb Bridge instead. We thought we might pitch the tent early if we could find somewhere well hidden in the forest. We walked past the Hobcarton car park and then on to the bridge at Hobcarton Gill. We had found nowhere we would want to pitch a tent. The wind was hardly blowing and as soon as you stood still midges came out to play. We managed to forage some egg and tomato sandwiches and some crisps from our rucksacks and we had some lunch near the gill sheltering under the tent footprint with midges swarming around us. Not the most comfortable of lunches. We were quite close to the Ladysike Pike ridge and we thought we might as well carry on and pitch up on the ridge somewhere. We were damp but not soaked as the rain actually wasn't that heavy, it was mainly just light stuff after the initial downpour at Whinlatter. We walked to the edge of the Swinside Plantation near Littlethwaite Gill and climbed the stile.

Beefy on the way up to the Ladyside Pike Ridge

The wall and fence led all the way to Swinside summit at 509. We got some water from the gill, no water would be available on the ridge so we had to carry it up. It was a short climb but steep and made more difficult having to carry 3l water each.

Looking back at the forest, that is Whinlatter behind

Grisedale Pike, Ladyside Pike and Hopegill Head from Swinside

We were surprised to see the summits, the cloud had been down over the higher tops all day

The rain had stopped so we found a pitch and quickly got the tent up before it started again. It was very early at 2.15 but the wind was strong up on the ridge and it was bitterly cold, nearly midsummer and we felt like it was back to winter. We were off the main path where we pitched and we hoped we wouldn't spoil the fell walk for anyone if they happened by.

The MSR on Swinside

We got our water on to filter and got inside the tent. It started raining again and we felt cold so we got our damp gear off and got in our bags to warm up. We dozed off for a bit and then we had a brew. We enjoyed relaxing in the tent, we were just pleased we had managed to camp out, we had dreaded the thought of having to go home soaked to the skin.The weather brightened up a bit and we got some nice views as the cloud began to lift off the other fells

Skiddaw and Blencathra seen from our pitch

Ladyside Pike and Hopegill Head in close up

Zooming in on Hopegill Head

We had some tea, opened some wine and settled down for the sunset, we did think we might get something after all. There were showers on and off but the cloud had broken up a little.

The sun going down into the cloud

The sun disappears behind cloud

Nice colours in the sky

Last shot of the sunset and we got a bid of a red glow

We'd not seen anyone on the ridge path near us, we had seen a figure on Ladyside Pike but they didn't descend the ridge toward us and we were pleased, we don't like pitching early and where we can be seen. We finished our wine and went to sleep happy with our camp despite the walk being a short one.

Day 1 was Whinlatter - Comb Bridge - Hobcarton Gill - Swinside Plantation - Swinside. 7.24km with 405m ascent. We hoped for a better walk tomorrow and a walk over Ladyside Pike, Hopegill Head and Grisedale Pike was in mind.

Day 2
We slept very well overnight but we awoke to clag covering the tops. We are not fond of walking with nothing to see, stuck in mist so we sacked Hopegill Head and Grisedale Pike. They will be there to climb again they aren't going anywhere. We had our breakfast and packed our stuff and the low cloud had almost enveloped us too when we left.

Descending to the Swinside Plantation

Beefy on the way down Swinside

We'd decided to retrace our steps to Whinlatter and then walk to Keswick via Braithwaite. It started raining when we were walking through the Swinside plantation and we got our waterpoofs on. The rain didn't last and fifteen minutes later we took them off again  :D

Looking back at Swinside Plantation and fell

He looks like a right dodgy sort

We joined the public footpath at Whinlatter that leads to Thornthwaite and after a brief diversion when I'd turned left too early we rejoined it again  :-[

Beefy leaving the midge hotel

We'd stopped for a brew and some food here with the midges finding us after a few minutes. Neither of us got bitten this weekend thank goodness.

Beefy on the way down the lovely path to Thornthwaite

We never tire of this path, it is lovely to walk here all year round. At Thornthwaite we turned right toward Ladstock, good there was no sign to say the path wasn't closed, it had been the last time we came this way although it was from the other direction.

Looking back at Ladstock

It is around here that the LDNP have the idea of cable cars going up to the Whinlatter Centre. I hope the people at the LDNP who have dreamed this up are taken away to be sectioned before it happens. What a ludicrous idea this is  >:( It is only a mile and a half to the Whinlatter Centre, let the lazy gits walk up. We got most of the way along the path to find the path was still closed over the little bridge. Annoyed that there had been no indication of this at Thornthwaite, we were naughty and trespassed a little to get around the closed bit.

Cat Bells and Maiden Moor from Little Braithwaite

From Braithwaite we took the footpath through Scotgate Campsite, admiring the motor homes on the way through.

Causey Pike and Barrow above Ullock

From Little Braithwaite we walked along the lane passed Ullock to join the footpath to Portinscale.

Zooming in on Barf from near Portinscale

Grisedale Pike from near Portinscale

At Portinscale we went over the wibbly wobbly bridge and saw there was some sort of running event on. There were runners on the Keswick to Portinscale path and public right of way. The path is normally a bit dull and unexciting but today we felt in mortal peril walking along it. Most of the runners were ok but a few of them thought that other walkers on the path should not be there. Beefy was shoulder charged by one man and we both came close to being hit a few times if we hadn't jumped out of the way. When we got to the main street on Keswick part of the pavement had been cordoned off for the runners and it was blocked for normal pedestrians who had to walk on the road to get by. We didn't think much of the organisation of the event, if you are having a running event on a public right of way, the participants should be told to be tolerant of any walkers on it, we have every right to be there after all.

The only thing that would calm our shattered nerves was tea and cake at Mrs F's Fine Food Emporium. I had lemon curd cake and Beefy had sticky toffee cake. The lemon cake was superb and Beefy said the toffee cake was fab too. We plan to try all of the cakes eventually  :)

Day 2 was Swinside - Hobcarton Gill - Comb Bridge - Whinlatter Centre - Thornthwaite - Braithwaite - Ullock - Portinscale - Keswick 17km with 346m ascent.  Not exactly what we planned for the weekend but it turned out to be a good camping spot and a nice walk back except for getting caught up in the running event, a triathlon thing apparently.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp below Ladyside Pike Sat 16 to Sun 17 Jun 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:30:22, 19/06/18 »
Great tr and pics Ape
.Lovely sunset pics
It's amazing what food you can forage in ya rucksack eh when out in the wilderness  ;D
Fancy a wc this weekend :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:34:29, 19/06/18 »
Fancy a wc this weekend :)

Aye I do, the weather looks much better  :)
Hate will never win

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:21:46, 19/06/18 »
Not the best of weekends, midges, rain, mist n clag - but I love the pic of Hopegill Head.

Better luck next weekend

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:31:32, 19/06/18 »
Great photos April particularly considering the weather that you had.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:33:28, 19/06/18 »

Nice sunset; you had better evening weather than I did.

And I forget just how green the Lakeland Fells can be.
« Last Edit: 06:32:10, 20/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:19:13, 20/06/18 »
More great photos April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:05:23, 20/06/18 »
Very nice, sometimes its just nice to be out, even if the conditions aren't the best.

I'm up that way camping at Lanefoot farm soon on our annual Wainwright Bagging Pilgrimage.

tea and cake at Mrs F's Fine Food Emporium. I had lemon curd cake and Beefy had sticky toffee cake. The lemon cake was superb and Beefy said the toffee cake was fab too. We plan to try all of the cakes eventually  :)]

This sounds just what we'd enjoy after a walk! O0 Where abouts is it?

When we got to the main street on Keswick part of the pavement had been cordoned off for the runners and it was blocked for normal pedestrians who had to walk on the road to get by. We didn't think much of the organisation of the event, if you are having a running event on a public right of way, the participants should be told to be tolerant of any walkers on it, we have every right to be there after all.

That's a shame, but not really a surprise. I used to do a lot of running events and even though organisers would brief people at the start there are always some who are so focused on there own goal they forget everyone else. Problem is it then gives the organisers a harder time getting permissions to run events if competitors have been rude or selfish.  :(

Enjoy every sandwich

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:52:33, 20/06/18 »
Better luck next weekend

It is looking pretty good for this weekend  :)

Thanks Ridge  :)

Nice sunset; you had better evening weather than I did.

It was an ok sunset, we had not expected anything earlier  :)

Thanks sunnydale  :)

I'm up that way camping at Lanefoot farm soon on our annual Wainwright Bagging Pilgrimage.

It is a nice site there, I hope you get some good weather  :)

This sounds just what we'd enjoy after a walk! O0 Where abouts is it?

http://restaurantwebx.com/MrsFsFineFood/

It is a quirky little café, the cakes are delicious. We were going to be good and have soup on Sunday but we couldn't resist having cake instead  ;D

About the triathlon event, we don't minding sharing the path with the runners but some of them were running two abreast and people were having to jump out of the way or be hit. We did giggle about it afterwards, especially when we had nowhere else to go but the road when we got on the main street, it was two way traffic with the runners coming and going in both directions and then barriers blocking the pavement access for people wanting to walk toward the main street.
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:05:48, 20/06/18 »
Really enjoyed the TR and the pictures were great as usual, April. O0

Looks like a perfect spot to pitch your tent - I love the view of Hopegill Head from that side - it looks so dramatic! And glad to see you guys got that window of blue skies and the sunset on Saturday evening, despite the murky start and end of your weekend.  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:46:02, 20/06/18 »
Good to see beefy behaving himself  :o ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:54:26, 20/06/18 »
Wait till ya see the video :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:00:30, 20/06/18 »
Look like you two made the most of the conditions there - napping through the rain and then catching a sunset.

I'm sure I've seen that rat somewhere...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:38:22, 20/06/18 »
A very nice trip once again A n B  O0
Some of those views look very familiar but of course I had sunshine and blue skies unlike you two clag magnets ;D
Really glad your bushcrafting skills came to the fore and saved you from dying of hunger ;)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:21:01, 20/06/18 »
Thanks adalard  :) We did have a good camp and of course as we got nearer to Keswick on Sunday the cloud lifted off the tops   ;D

When was this then?  :-\

napping through the rain and then catching a sunset.

I think Ridge might be right, we are a pair of 90 year olds  :D

Some of those views look very familiar but of course I had sunshine and blue skies unlike you two clag magnets ;D

Where were you? I've not seen any of your pics on fb? Unless fb have decided not to show your posts in my news feed   :-\

Really glad your bushcrafting skills came to the fore and saved you from dying of hunger ;)

It is amazing what you can find to eat if you put it in your rucksack before you leave home  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy