Author Topic: [MR] (Mud Report) - Paull circuit...yet again  (Read 1142 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
[MR] (Mud Report) - Paull circuit...yet again
« on: 17:14:12, 27/12/20 »

Truly bored of covid / lockdown / tiers now.  How I'm craving some wild, woolly, remoteness.  The nearest I can get to that locally is this.  It still remains my favourite local walk but I'm in danger of over-doing it and getting bored of it.

But today, today marks the completion of my Challenge366 Mile A Day For A Year project.  Something that normally happens on New Years Eve in a mad rush either plodding round the streets in the dark or a lunchtime mooch to achieve the goal.

Seeing as I've done this walk many, many times this will most likely be the last time I write about it.  I mean, just how many pictures of the same thing do folks need to see?!

So these pics, to round off my challenge, are a bit different.  I went "mud-bagging" instead.

Not off to a good start on the health-and-safety'd-to-death refurbed sea defences:

It's improving with a couple of nice, big puddles as I head "inland":

After plodding down the road, I turn off onto the nature reserve car park.  At least the path out of there and up onto the embankment looks promising:

HuuuUUUUUuuuugh puddle.  Only kidding, it's the small nature reserve pond:

Hmmm, I have to confess a level of disappointment at the amount of mud so far, although this isn't too bad - Squelch Factor 4 I think:

Up onto the embankment and I come across this sign.  It's a new sign and I'm pretty sure nobody will take any notice of it as the "ramp" is waaaaay off in the distance and the car park is to my right.  It's also the least muddy, slippery bit of the whole walk.  Epic Fail Paull Parish Council:

Now, here's some proper mud.  Some perma-mud.  The tidal mudflats of the Humber.  I don't think it counts really:

A disappointing Squelch Factor of 3 for this I think:

Getting back onto the engineered path and the best I could find was a couple of puddles:

Now this. THIS.  This is worthy of a Squelch Factor 7.  It's wide, it's deep and it's slippery.  Cracking bit of mud, this:

Through the woodland now which reveals a churned up engineered path:

Empty container ship on the Humber (which is just one big mudbath at low tide):

As always, this is a lovely little walk with a bit of all sorts in it.  It's getting more and more popular though, even the secret off-piste bits that I do.  Of course, it's nice to see so many people getting out in the fresh air but please, can you all stay at home when I want to walk here.

So there you have it.  I've completed my challenge with days to spare.  That's a first for me!

Thanks for reading  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: [MR] (Mud Report) - Paull circuit...yet again
« Reply #1 on: 17:21:03, 27/12/20 »
Well done on reaching your target Mel.
You are failing in finding a decent amount mud though, part of our walk yesterday the path looked like your last pic.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:49:00, 27/12/20 »
If you want decent mud come to Essex. Plently to go around  :(
I know what you mean about plently of people about, they were waiting for parking spaces as I left to drive home.
I should investigate how to upload photos so we can compare the Squelch Factor. Perhaps an idea for a new thread.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:11:33, 27/12/20 »
Some decent mud pics and a very decent walk too.. O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:03:31, 27/12/20 »
 Well done on reaching your target Mel.  You are failing in finding a decent amount mud though, part of our walk yesterday the path looked like your last pic.  

Thanks Ridge.  I'm sorry.  I will try harder next time  :D   ... but we need proof of your claims or else it's all lies  :P

If you want decent mud come to Essex. Plently to go around  :( 
I know what you mean about plently of people about, they were waiting for parking spaces as I left to drive home.
I should investigate how to upload photos so we can compare the Squelch Factor. Perhaps an idea for a new thread.

Have to confess, I was disappointed at the un-muddiness.  I expected much worse after the rain we've had here recently!  A Squelch Factor thread sounds an excellent idea  ;D

Some decent mud pics and a very decent walk too.. O0 

Thanks G&P  :)   It always lifts my spirits, this walk, whatever the weather.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:27:10, 27/12/20 »
Looks pretty soggy  O0
Not up to (?) my recent mud standard though. I did brockadale today, the river was up and the place semi flooded, never seen it like that. Am not even going to attempt to post pics now I only have my phone, laptop is at a workmates house, see if he can fix it.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:45:10, 28/12/20 »
Well done on completing your challenge Mel    :)

But you need more mud    :D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:55:00, 28/12/20 »
Hey up Mel, nice mud.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:29:29, 28/12/20 »
Looks pretty soggy  O0
Not up to (?) my recent mud standard though. I did brockadale today, the river was up and the place semi flooded, never seen it like that. Am not even going to attempt to post pics now I only have my phone, laptop is at a workmates house, see if he can fix it.

Cheers pleb.  It was yours and G&P's recent pics that inspired me  ;D   Hope you get your lappy fixed.

Well done on completing your challenge Mel    :)
But you need more mud    :D

Thanks Dovegirl  :)   I'm sure I'll find more mud over the coming months  :D

Hey up Mel, nice mud.  O0

Ey up Paul, cheers.  No bum prints in this collection though  :D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:06:57, 29/12/20 »
Well done completing your challenge, Mel O0
I'll do a final totting up of mine on 31st
I hope you sang the hippopotamus song whilst slip sliding away :)

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:58:25, 29/12/20 »
Cheers Jac.  Never sang the song - didn't want to scare the wildlife in the nature reserve  :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:27:08, 30/12/20 »
Great TR Mel as usual but come on.... where is the mud? Worse mud around than this  ;D   ;)

Hate will never win

wombat

« Reply #12 on: 21:41:46, 30/12/20 »
Excellent report as usual, if you really want mud try walking up the bank of the river Hull from Hull Bridge past the nature reserve, or along the cliff top from Bridlington to Flamborough Head  :-\ :-\

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:08:08, 31/12/20 »
Thanks Ridge.  I'm sorry.  I will try harder next time  :D   ... but we need proof of your claims or else it's all lies  :P
As requested
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41407.msg600540#msg600540

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:14:05, 01/01/21 »
Great TR Mel as usual but come on.... where is the mud? Worse mud around than this  ;D   ;)

I know  :-[   I'm sorry  ;D

Excellent report as usual, if you really want mud try walking up the bank of the river Hull from Hull Bridge past the nature reserve, or along the cliff top from Bridlington to Flamborough Head  :-\ :-\

Cheers wombat.  I've done both those walks at some time or other - only after a drought though  :D    

As requested
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41407.msg600540#msg600540

O0   *goes off to nosey ... *

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy