Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39942 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #285 on: 08:59:35, 21/02/18 »
I'm just having a bit of a snigger to myself about Mike Turnip's wording in his statement from yesterday

"To date we have received two contradictory communications with the MOD; one supporting the scheme and the other opposing the scheme"

The first letter from the MOD said they had "no safeguarding objections". This is another example of Mike Turner constantly twisting the facts. Having "no objections" and "supporting" are two very different things. I would like to see what information was given to the MOD in that first communication, I wonder if it was accurate? I think everyone was astonished when the MOD replied that they had no objections when it is a well known low flight route for military jets.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #286 on: 09:21:31, 21/02/18 »
He'll be back.

We have a large house on the end of our road which I have just discovered now has 3 different planning applications going on, all of which involve knocking down the house and building in the garden. Initially people complained that, among other things, this would require the destruction of some mature trees and a very large pond which is at least 150 years old. So the developer has felled the trees, drained the pond and resubmitted slightly different plans.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #287 on: 12:24:19, 21/02/18 »
Oh, I am sure he will be back and we will be ready to fight him again.

This has been posted on Zip Off's facebook page. It is the last bit of 40 pages of the LDNPA Draft Committee report - all 40 pages are available on the LDNPA planning section on the website they say.

"This is the final part of Section 6 - Conclusion.
 "I recognise the acceptability and benefits of the cycle way and
 improvements to parking facilities together with the potential economic
 benefits for the area and the National Park as a whole, including job
 creation and the contribution to the visitor economy particularly during off
 peak times.
 6.10 I also recognise the opportunity to broaden the existing tourism
 experience by bringing a unique facility to the area and to diversify the
 tourism offer of the National Park in a way which accords with the strategic
 direction of Adventure Capital as well as the support which the application
 has from Cumbria Tourism, Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership and
 others.
 6.11 Despite the weight I have attributed to these benefits, they do not in my
 view outweigh the fowling considerations:
 - the very significant landscape and visual effects identified
 - the substantial harm to the special qualities and Outstanding Universal
 Value of the Lake District
 - the fundamental impacts raised in objections from the Local Highway
 Authority and the Ministry of Defence
 - the volume of objections from individuals and a diverse range of
 organisations representing a broad range of interests at the local, regional
 and national level
 6.12 For all of the reasons above my recommendation is that planning
 permission should be refused
. "

So the planners would have recommended refusal, what would the committee have decided on 7 Mar? It would be nice to know.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #288 on: 12:43:50, 21/02/18 »
It is fairly damning, perhaps it may encourage him to look outside the park in future.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #289 on: 12:52:40, 21/02/18 »
I'm wondering if Turnip had got wind of the planners recommending refusal and thought withdrawing was the better option? It has been over 4 weeks since the MOD objected, why didn't he withdraw the proposal then? The MOD objection isn't the only reason stated for refusal in the document, thank goodness!

I am dismayed that Ullswater Steamers and The Ravenglass Railway sent letters of support for the zip wires to LDNPA - they are listed on the 40 page document. I will never go on the railway or steamer again, I feel so strongly about all this. I will never donate money to the Lake District Foundation either.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #290 on: 12:53:40, 21/02/18 »
Thanks for posting that April - I wonder if he had already been tipped off about this and decided to pull the application. 

And it also shows that the number of representations has had some impact, which is nice to know. I bet he'll watch the Honister application with interest.

I think the full LDNPA would have to have some very strong arguments to go against their own planning committee so I think it very likely that it would have been rejected on 7 March.

Good news for now.

photonut

« Reply #291 on: 13:01:39, 21/02/18 »
Wow... that is good news,  at least for the present moment.  I think it is good advice from Ninthace to keep watching for any future planning proposals.

In my local village we have just managed to stop surrounding Green Belt being built up.  We are now in the throws of trying to draft up a local plan which forbids this in the future, just like our neighbouring town of Todmorden has done.  It's a shame that a similar document cannot be drafted for the entire LD and stop crazy ideas like this in future thereby putting an end to the horrible feeling of uncertainty that people have to endure until the planning bigwigs reject the proposal.

I certainly won't ever use Ullswater Steamers or The Ravenglass Railway (again)    :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: 13:14:20, 21/02/18 by photonut »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #292 on: 13:26:41, 21/02/18 »
Plas Y Brenin supported it too!  >:(

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #293 on: 18:45:21, 21/02/18 »
The Friends of the Lake District put in a Freedom of Information request to the LDNPA and that is why the draft doc has been published.
Here is a link to the FOTLD website and the link to the draft report.

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/news/ldnpa-thirlmere-activity-hub-draft-report-statement

Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #294 on: 19:28:31, 21/02/18 »
This is a bit of a surprise. This is a quote from the News and Star

"Author and broadcaster Melvyn Bragg said: "I am delighted that those who are devoted to seeing the Lake District prosper for what it is have defeated yet another attempt by marauders. Constant vigilance!""

Melvyn Bragg is Mad-Eye Moody  :o
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #295 on: 20:05:57, 21/02/18 »
This is a bit of a surprise. This is a quote from the News and Star

"Author and broadcaster Melvyn Bragg said: "I am delighted that those who are devoted to seeing the Lake District prosper for what it is have defeated yet another attempt by marauders. Constant vigilance!""

If you unpick it a bit he is right. We all want the Lakes to prosper 'for what it is' not to be turned in to something it isn't like a theme park.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #296 on: 08:25:56, 22/02/18 »
"Constant vigilance!"

Nobody read Harry Potter on here? My joke seems to have fallen a bit flat  ::)

I think I will give up being a comedian and focus on the fight against the Honister Zip Wire. There is support for it from people who were against Thirlmere - I just don't understand why  :-\
Why ok at Honister but not at Thirlmere? Anyone?
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #297 on: 08:49:23, 22/02/18 »
Nobody read Harry Potter on here? My joke seems to have fallen a bit flat  ::)
Doh, yes, just a bit slow on the up take.

Perhaps people think that it is inevitable that there will be a zip wire somewhere, with a constant stream of planning applications, so at least if it is there it is less obtrusive than over Thirlmere.
But I'm only guessing, you know what I think.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #298 on: 09:35:46, 22/02/18 »
Mike Turner was interviewed on BBC Northwest news last night about his withdrawal of the Thirlmere plan - In response to reporter Dave Guest's question  Would you think of trying this somewhere else ?   " Yes absolutely, I stand by 100% the concept we put together at Thirlmere.  We already operate zip wires and I think the Lake District can accommodate a lot more."
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #299 on: 09:58:43, 22/02/18 »
Mike Turner was interviewed on BBC Northwest news last night about his withdrawal of the Thirlmere plan - In response to reporter Dave Guest's question  Would you think of trying this somewhere else ?   " Yes absolutely, I stand by 100% the concept we put together at Thirlmere.  We already operate zip wires and I think the Lake District can accommodate a lot more."
What's he trying to do, win a popularity contest?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy