Author Topic: Forest of Bowland AONB advice  (Read 1163 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Forest of Bowland AONB advice
« on: 19:17:23, 11/09/19 »
I'm thinking of doing a walk with someone from my weight loss group in the Forest of Bowland. Can anyone advise on the walk with the best views available in the area? I favour something with a hill or two but if a low level walk is particularly picturesque...?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Last Edit: 19:25:52, 11/09/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Forest of Bowland AONB advice
« Reply #2 on: 19:34:04, 11/09/19 »
Thanks ninthace  O0

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:01:27, 11/09/19 »
It's a lovely area. I grew up nearby (Clitheroe) so went there quite a bit. Brilliant for nav practise - included it in quite a few SMPs I ran.
If you go off-path on places it's a lot like Dartmoor in its physicality. Wolf Crag springs to mind for that.

My best walk ever there included sightings of hen harriers, a long eared owl, oystercatchers, and a family of eagle owls (two adults and three recently fledged young).
Another time I was with a group and we heard the crack of rounds overhead just before creating a hill. Luckily they were all Sandhurst cadets and dropped back into the dead ground even faster than me. We worked around and found someone taking shots at a pile of tin cans with a hunting rifle, his improvised range pointing exactly where we'd have emerged.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 03:14:18, 12/09/19 »
Hopefully I manage to do it without getting shot then :o Haven't heard of anyone on the news getting accidently shot in England or a long time but I don't watch the news anymore.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:52:04, 12/09/19 »
I wish I could say I don't watch the news but I'm totally hooked, the Brexit thing and Donald Trump's antics keeps me fascinated for hours on end.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:55:54, 12/09/19 »
I wish I could say I don't watch the news but I'm totally hooked, the Brexit thing and Donald Trump's antics keeps me fascinated for hours on end.
+1  It is not limited to the UK and the USA either, the world is slowly going mad, the clowns have taken over the circus and we seem to be powerless to prevent it!  At least Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers et al give us something to laugh at as it all unravels.
Solvitur Ambulando

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:46:37, 12/09/19 »
Some nice relatively easy walking around Scorton. Nicky Nook springs to mind as a pleasant amble if you fancy a little hill. There's the Orchard Garden cafe to hand too.
The area of Fair Snape Fell / Parlick and Saddle Fell from Fell foot is nice as well.

If venturing deep in to Bowland though,Eg; Wolfhole Crag, Hawthornthwaite Fell, Ward's Stone et al..) just be aware that it's not criss-crossed with good clear paths like the LD. Much of it is rough with poor, indistinct paths. If it's solitude you're after though you'll get it here in spades.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:02:57, 20/09/19 »
Try this route which includes Fair Snape Fell and Totridge. Great views from the tops.https://happyhiker.co.uk/MyWalks/Lancashire/HaredenFellCircuit/Hiking%20Pages%20-%20Harden%20Fell%20Circuit.htm

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy