Author Topic: The Wessex Ridgeway  (Read 19227 times)

msd123

Re: The Wessex Ridgeway
« Reply #60 on: 13:23:07, 23/08/16 »
The Grove was fine - good food, nice room, helpful staff.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 13:40:57, 23/08/16 »
The Grove was fine - good food, nice room, helpful staff.
Good to know, thanks.
~
Sue

JaneSarah

« Reply #62 on: 17:07:24, 06/10/16 »
We've been walking the Wessex Ridgeway for a while, doing just a couple of days at a time. Our most recent walk was the result of a last minute decision on Saturday morning one sunny weekend in August, so the likelihood of finding a B and B with a vacancy was pretty much zero! We had previously got to Ludwell (Tisbury station), but decided to go off route and start from Salisbury railway station (easier as no train connection needed) and pick up the official trail at Tollard Royal. We stayed at a large campsite at Sixpenny Handley, which is maybe worth noting as it's not far off the official WR. There was also a pub doing meals and the campsite cafe.The walk out of Salisbury was along a busy road for the first mile or so, but then through the water meadows, followed by a lovely route along the old Roman and drove roads. No problem with route finding.

The second day we walked from Sixpenny Handley to Iwerne Courtney/Shroton with a memorable lunch stop in Tollard Royal - the best gazpacho I've had in a long time.  We were considering wild camping, but I'd got attacked by harvest mites (hazard of overgrown paths) and was desperate for a shower! So we got a taxi to Blandford Forum where there wasn't too much problem finding somewhere to stay. During the week it would have been possible to get a bus from Shroton to Blandford and we got one back again the next morning to do a little more just as far as Shillingstone (another bus) before heading for home. We also thought afterwards that we could have struck south before we reached Shroton, along a good path (on the map anyway) to Pimperne , from where we could have got a town bus or a much shorter taxi ride. 

We were probably off the official route for about as much time as we were on it, but the countryside was great and we saw no other long distance walkers the whole time  - just the occasional dog walker. It's a great route, and there's no real problem finding the way, despite the lack of waymarks. We're looking forward to completing it, hopefully all in one trip and out of peak holiday season.
Jane Sarah
Do check out our walk through Greece from the northern border to southern tip at www.greekhiking.com [nofollow]. What next?

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 14:26:39, 07/10/16 »
We've got guests coming next weekend who are walking the Wessex Ridgeway. They're with us for 3 nights so I'm not sure how far they're planning to walk each day, but they're bringing 2 cars so won't have a problem regarding transport.

~
Sue

SJDG

« Reply #64 on: 19:12:58, 19/01/17 »
Hi..........I am doing this walk this year but am having great difficulty finding any camp sites. Can anyone help with sites or amenable farmers who may help along the way..............thanks

JaneSarah

« Reply #65 on: 17:12:04, 05/02/17 »
Hi SJDG
You've probably already found the campsite at Sixpenny Handley http://www.churchfarmcandcpark.co.uk/ [nofollow], which has loads of space, though it's just off the route.  I think there's one near Cerne Abbas as well. I'll be interested to hear of any campsites or camping spots you find on the last bit of the walk, as we're planning to complete it ourselves this year. It's a beautiful walk, but not a lot of accommodation, and especially cheaper options.

Good luck

Jane
Jane Sarah
Do check out our walk through Greece from the northern border to southern tip at www.greekhiking.com [nofollow]. What next?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy