Author Topic: North downs way  (Read 3935 times)

Doddy

North downs way
« on: 15:48:09, 12/10/16 »
I am thinking of doing the NDW over some long weekends in the winter by walking and then returning to my Camper van by train each evening as the links look good.
 I would appreciate any comments on how sensible this plan is.I have done many of the National Trails ,two by this method.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Re: North downs way
« Reply #1 on: 18:30:51, 12/10/16 »
I think this could be planned reasonably well. The main railway line from London to Dover and to Canterbury runs more or less parralel to the NDW, not always close but I think always reachable.

John Walker

« Reply #2 on: 22:03:56, 17/11/16 »
For the western end of the North Downs Way there is also quite good railway access, for example stations at Farnham, Guildford, Gomshall, Westhumble, Reigate, Merstham, Oxted, Dunton Green then Rochester.  That's as far as I have got with the North Downs Way so far, but I plan to do some more stretches using the train to get to and from the path (I live in South West London) so I'll post my stages on the web site, shown in my signature line below.

Good Luck  :)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Rather be walking

« Reply #3 on: 12:12:27, 18/11/16 »
Walked the NDW some years ago, here is a good link that might help you http://ramblingman.org.uk/walks/northdownsway/  :)
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

John Walker

« Reply #4 on: 16:34:40, 18/11/16 »

Walked the NDW some years ago, here is a good link that might help you http://ramblingman.org.uk/walks/northdownsway/  :)

Yes, I would also recommend Ramblingman's NDW tips (as well as his other blog posts, very entertaining) although he walks longer stages than me. (I'm hoping that's because he's much younger.... ::) ).

Doddy

« Reply #5 on: 10:53:47, 19/11/16 »
I recently walked from Farnham to Otford; getting back each night by train to my microcamper Berlingo. Taxi from Otford to Oxted as the train link is tenuous; London Victoria.

quixoticgeek

« Reply #6 on: 02:38:15, 06/01/17 »

Entirely doable. Just be aware that some of the paths in winter are going to be rather boggy.

Oh, and you'll need to be creative with where the trains run relative to where you can easily park the camper, as well as weekend engineering works and the hell that is Southeastern or southern railways...

Other than that go for it.

I'm in the process of stage hiking the NDW and am blogging about it as I go (link in sig). I need to write up the bit I did from Otford to Cuxton.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 19:36:35, 15/01/17 »
I have since done Farnham to Otford and caught the train back to my starting point each day, apart from the last day when I arranged a taxi. Main issue was the traffic overall at peak times and finding parking places; commuters into London look for similar and the station car parks are full. Near stations there are double yellows for miles in the residential areas. After pub meals I asked and stayed in a couple of pub car parks overnight in my Berlingo micro camper. I sourced other sites myself.

old geezer

« Reply #8 on: 19:42:42, 22/01/17 »
i walked the ndw in 2011 when i was 70.in my opinion,along with the saxon shore way,it's the best walk in se england.you will enjoy it.you'r never too far from  public transport.in kent there are lots of footpaths tha allow for a ound rpute back to your camper.lots of luck.

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 21:04:49, 22/01/17 »
Thanks for the comment. I am impressed so far, lots of good views and varied walking, grass, trees. Only decent climb was Box Hill.

old geezer

« Reply #10 on: 10:40:40, 23/01/17 »
there's a short but stiff hike at detling up to thurnham castle that also has great views.glad your enjoying it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:16:45, 23/01/17 »
When a young teenager I had a girlfriend who lived at Detling. We used to walk from there to Thurnham Castle (its a ruin of a Roman fort) fairly often. There was, or maybe still is, a pub en route to Thurnam which made national headlines in the 60s, led by the Daily Mirror. I think my memory is accurate about the affair. Two elderly sisters ran it as a 'private club', guarded as I remember by their shotguns (they didn't want the local riff-raff in) and one of their customers was found out to be the Kent Chief of Police!

John Walker

« Reply #12 on: 20:50:03, 22/03/17 »
I'm in the process of stage hiking the NDW and am blogging about it as I go (link in sig). I need to write up the bit I did from Otford to Cuxton.

I've just completed that section and enjoyed the walk, not too strenuous. BTW I coudn't get your blog link to work, quixoticgeek.  Would be interested to read it if you could repost the link?

I was shocked by the level of litter everywhere whenever the NDW came anywhere near a major road (which it does quite frequently on this section).  I think it's down to all those pesky car drivers, surely not to us angelic walkers?

Doddy

« Reply #13 on: 22:36:51, 22/03/17 »
 I have half of it to do from Otford.
We can do something about the litter. I have joined my local Council as a litter hero in readiness for the Great Clean up. I have cleaned up our village and nearby; surprising how much you can collect in a ten minute walk. My score so far is three duvets; five traffic cones; something like 60 pop cans and a similar number plastic bottles and loads of crisp packets and trash.
Not only does it collect the trash but it spreads the word that people can make a difference. One can each would clear 50 million.

Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country. J F Kennedy

John Walker

« Reply #14 on: 18:50:08, 23/03/17 »

Quote from Doddy:
We can do something about the litter.

Good point! I feel suitably chastened :-[ . (Nice quote from JFK but it didn't do him much good in later years...)  The Great Clean Up seems to be over for 2017 (just missed it!) but I will try to do something locally in future.

Anyway I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the NDW, with or without litter.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy