Author Topic: Spine Race 2017  (Read 89624 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Spine Race 2017
« on: 18:01:55, 08/01/17 »
The Spine Race is almost upon us! It starts next weekend with the Race and Challenger starting on different days - i think that is a change to the previous arrangements.

http://thespinerace.com

Is anyone from here taking part? Slogger, I'm thinking about you but I know we have had other forum members participate too in the past. I'm also looking forward to seeing if Pavel and Eoin Keith are taking part and what amazing times we might see... as well as how well the ladies perform this year and any new names at the top of the leaderboard.

Many of us here are armchair participants, following the trackers obsessively, especially towards the final, exciting,  stages; being frustrated when they don't update or when runners are held at checkpoints etc etc  Checking trackers; following on social media - it's such an exhausting task!!!

One day I might walk the Pennine Way in the summer when chances of good weather are maximal, but I am totally in awe of all participant who choose to run it at this time of year.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Spine Race 2017
« Reply #1 on: 18:22:00, 08/01/17 »
I also will only ever be an armchair participant but I will be glued to it again.

I think that the Challenger and Race started on the same day last time, hopefully it will be easier to work out what is going on in the early stages this year.

maximurph

« Reply #2 on: 18:34:17, 08/01/17 »
Think they are organising a similar event in the summer this year.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:13:26, 08/01/17 »
I will be following this again as usual, but with even more interest this year as I walked the Pennine Way last summer, though over nearly 3 weeks! I can't imagine being able to do it in a week or less. It will be good to know the terrain they will be covering, though conditions will be very different. When places like Cross Fell or Cauldron Snout are mentioned or the refuge huts in the Cheviots, I can envisage what it might be like up there.

I work part time 3 mornings plus one Friday in the month to do wages, unfortunately it's the Friday of the Spine Race,  >:(  it will be very difficult not to keep checking progress instead of inputting time sheets!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:46:28, 08/01/17 »
 Let the madness begin!

I don't know who is crazier,the guy on a freezing moor at nightime in winter or the guy who sits up half the night looking at orange balloons on a map.I have a feeling that the guy on the moor is the one who is sane.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:56:57, 09/01/17 »
I think you are right with that thought Tony! Lots of us would rather be out there than sitting at home, we can only dream of being able to do something like that, but happy with our more modest aims!

Sarah, I'm pretty sure Slogger was on here a while ago saying he is aiming to be the first 70 yr old to complete the Spine race. Good luck Slogger, we'll all be rooting for you on here, and to anyone else who posts on here.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:54:47, 10/01/17 »
 Slogger should be on the start line,well at least according to the race roster.

TinTin

« Reply #7 on: 17:18:10, 10/01/17 »
Slogger should be on the start line,well at least according to the race roster.

and Dixie  :)

forest view

« Reply #8 on: 14:08:08, 12/01/17 »
If you look at sloggers number alphabetically he should have been number 69 but they have swapped him so that he is number 70 lets all keep our fingers crossed that he makes it.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:28:13, 12/01/17 »
If you look at sloggers number alphabetically he should have been number 69 but they have swapped him so that he is number 70 lets all keep our fingers crossed that he makes it.

Nice gesture from the organisers. O0

Another one to watch out for is an American who says he is not only going to win but will break the course record in doing so.Must be confident as he is bringing his own film crew.

http://www.parkrecord.com/sports/local-runners-go-across-the-pond-for-new-adventure/

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:05:24, 12/01/17 »

Another one to watch out for is an American who says he is not only going to win but will break the course record in doing so.Must be confident as he is bringing his own film crew.

http://www.parkrecord.com/sports/local-runners-go-across-the-pond-for-new-adventure/
Am I allowed to say that I thought that the American must be Donald Trump who was going to win and break the course record? :D

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:05:08, 12/01/17 »
Am I allowed to say that I thought that the American must be Donald Trump who was going to win and break the course record? :D

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:10:29, 12/01/17 »
Typical struggling with a sprained Sacroiliac joint done on my very last job last Saturday. I am traveling down to Edale tomorrow but it's touch and go as to whether I start. Taking my car as there's no way at the moment I could carry my drop bag too. Before I go Ive got a desperate appointment at 8am in the morning with a Chiropractor. Can't quite believe it and wishing too late that I hadn't done that job especially as I wasn't going to work that day but a repeat customer couldn't wait a couple of weeks.
Here's hoping a miracle happens between now and Sunday.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:51:35, 12/01/17 »
 Hope things work out for you Dave.You need to employ a young lad to do all the donkey work,or better still,retire and concentrate on doing the things you enjoy most.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:11:53, 13/01/17 »
That's gutting, hope it works out.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy