Author Topic: Plymouth to Leeds  (Read 821 times)

Ilowton

Plymouth to Leeds
« on: 22:30:04, 04/03/17 »
Hi guys,

First post in the forum!

I'm planning to walk from Plymouth (where I'm at uni) to Leeds (home) in July.

I know I can use a fair bit of other people's LEJOG routes but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific ideas for trails/routes, potentially including family in Cullompton (Devon), Coleshill (Birmingham) and Nottingham/Chesterfield although probably not ideal as I'd like to go through the Peak District.

I'm looking to do it in anywhere from 2-4 weeks, not really sure what's realistic as I'm completely new to planning this kind of thing.

Many thanks,

Isaac

Stube

• Veteran Member
Re: Plymouth to Leeds
« Reply #1 on: 12:46:58, 05/03/17 »
Unless you're an experienced ultramarathon runner I'd suggest 4+ weeks is a more reasonable schedule.

You don't say whether you're backpacking or staying in B&Bs (expensive) as that could affect your choice of route.

A basic route
           SWCP to Lyme Regis/ Charmouth
           Monarch's  way to Bourton-on-the-Water (Use Macmillan Way and Wessex Ridgeway to straighten route)
           Heart Of England Way to Cannock Chase (loops round Birmingham to the east)*
           Staffordshire way / Limestone way to Wirksworth
            Pennine Bridleway to Standege (Marsden) (Flatter/drier than PW)
           Stanza Stones Way to Ilkley.
           Find your own way to Leeds!

* Monarch's way goes through Bromsgrove then turns west.

Good luck & welcome to the forum.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:57:30, 06/03/17 »
Not a complete route; but why not the Two Moors Way from near you up to Lynmouth; the SWCP to Minehead, along the coast to Chepstow; the Offas Dyke Path; cut across to the Pennine Way and jump off at Hebden Bridge. Sure you can work your way through Halifax and Bradford from there O0.
About 25 days

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:21:55, 06/03/17 »
If you are thinking of doing part of Offa's Dyke and then cutting across to the Pennine Way then I did the following last year to link up my LEJOG route having already walked the SWCP, OD and the PW.
Chirk, Whitchurch, Weston, Congleton, Bollington, Edale

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:13:41, 07/03/17 »
Fitting in Cullompton seems to be a problem.  :( 
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:20:04, 07/03/17 »
The original poster hasn't been on the forum since he/she posted (will they return?). I'd like to know what fitness level they are at right now because hoping to do a 300+ mile walk and the ascent involved in 2-4 weeks will be quite a task if you're not prepared.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy