Author Topic: How far would you travel?  (Read 2990 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: How far would you travel?
« Reply #30 on: 16:12:45, 20/07/19 »
So after how long after sitting in a car do you feel like you're done with sitting in a car and want to be home?

I'm just hoping he wasn't sitting in Berwick Upon Tweed thinking that he was in Scotland now  :D :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:38:39, 20/07/19 »
I did this epic journey in my tiny Mercedes Smart CDi, which was so fuel efficient, you could travel big distances on not many gallons of fuel.
When living in South Wales, Lindisfarne was always on my bucket list of places to visit, but doing it in a single day  was out of the question, even in a large powerful car, the distance is too great.

I started very early on June 14th 2015, drove up the M6 North road, turned right at Tebay, and headed towards Shildon and eventually Newcastle.

Still some distance from Newcastle up the far from ideal A1  north road, two lane carriageway all the way, with few opportunities to pass, not that i had the performance to do it in a small Smart car.

I was very lucky on my arrival at lindisfarne as the tide was on the turn, so spent about an hour there, taking it all in, and buying a moment China mug in the shop.

I was really surprised how close the Scottish border was, less than 15miles up the road, so off i went, and crossed the Northumberland border into Scotland.

This trip totalling not far off 600miles, is by far the longest journey Ive attempted in a single day,  i will never forget it, as it was simply a step too far.

I should have stopped overnight, but when you get into a driving marathon, sense occasionally gets thrown out of the window.

It was done in one of the smallest cars on British roads, but i can remember i did it on less than a full tank, but how i managed it, it still surprises me to this day.
« Last Edit: 12:14:32, 21/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:32:24, 20/07/19 »
So after how long after sitting in a car do you feel like you're done with sitting in a car and want to be home?

Half an hour! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 00:26:15, 21/07/19 »
One thing many may not appreciated is that some people actually enjoy driving.  For me the only reason I wouldn't drive further for a walk, is simply that there are not enough hours in a day.  But in pure driving terms I have several times spent a day driving around a number of European race tracks and then driven home to Cornwall, at the end of the day. 

The beauty of it is. You get quite roads early morning and later in the evening to enjoy the driving part. Leaving the hub of the day for some fine walking.  O0

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 06:52:16, 21/07/19 »
One thing many may not appreciated is that some people actually enjoy driving.     O0

Yes, me too. After spending most of my working life sitting behind a wheel, I still like driving. For me the day out/holiday starts as I leave my front door. Coming home can be a bit of a chore but it has to be done. I compensate some of the boredom by concentrating on driving within the law. Sticking to speed limits, reading the signs, and staying alert to what's going on ahead of me. I think if you don't enjoy doing something you do it badly, and I value my life and my licence.

ilona

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:24:11, 21/07/19 »
I quite enjoy driving too; not if the roads are really busy, mind you. And not in cities.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:40:16, 21/07/19 »
When I do the 235 miles-or-so biannual drive from NW London to north Wales for one of my walking holidays, I try to go on a Sunday if I can, because there are fewer lorries, and I don't leave home till about 11:30 a.m.
I have found that the M40 isn't too bad in the middle of a Sunday, and when I reach Birmingham around lunchtime there isn't the usual congestion on the M42 and M6. The M54 is empty, while on any of the routes west of Shrewsbury I practically have the road to myself. By the time I'm on the final miles in Wales all the traffic is coming the other way, towards me, people on their way home.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:43:31, 21/07/19 »
I also make my living driving, it's rare that I enjoy driving these days. I go out of my way to avoid it when I'm on holiday. I did have a good day last week, I delivered a new snow factory to Nevis Range. I bet you all thought it just fell out of the sky. Driving down Glencoe was nice, no traffic as it was early I was at the ski center by 07.00.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:53:21, 21/07/19 »
I found I was over my limit when doing the Mosedale Horseshoe. For me, getting into the western Lake District is 3.5 hours each way. The Horseshoe (including Kirk Fell) was a big day for me, one of the toughest 10 miles I’ve ever done.

I was up at 5am for the early start and it was gone midnight when I got home.
I remember just talking to myself on the drive home, just to stay awake. I just totally underestimated the day in planning and knew I should have stayed overnight.

2.5 hours is my limit now, and that would depend on the kind of route I’m doing.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 10:38:24, 21/07/19 »
I enjoy driving on country roads, if there are no lorries, tractors, caravans, Sunday drivers or boy racers. Motorways and dual carriageways are a bore. It is difficult to drive any significant distance without encountering these. I have driven over 600 miles in a day on several occasions, including Southampton to Aberdeenshire or the reverse and I wouldn’t want a day’s walking on top of that. I have also pretty much done the NC500 in one go, plus the distance from my house to the start and back, to give relatives a quick view of the country. These long drives are very tiring and don’t make for a good walking experience. I would rather find somewhere to stay and make a longer trip.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 13:50:35, 21/07/19 »
I actually love driving.....but can only stand half an hour max as a passenger! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy