Author Topic: 70-year-old walker straightens dislocated ankle while waiting for rescue  (Read 2107 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
A walker was rescued from a Lakeland fell after breaking his ankle.
But the 70-year-old man managed to re-locate his dislocated joint while waiting for the rescue team to arrive.

I thought a break was different to a dislocation ???
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/09/04/70-year-old-walker-straightens-dislocated-ankle-while-waiting-for-rescue

Alistair

• Veteran Member
A dislocation is one of the joints thats come out of of the socket and a break is a broken bone (obviously) for those who have dislocated anything there is immediate relief and no pain after you relocate the ball into the socket. When my knee dislocated  alot the mrs and I was taught by the orthopod on how to relocate it  :D it was just a case of pulling the leg straight ;D
Thoughts come clearly while one walks.
               Thomas Mann

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
It's quite common for both to occur together so he could have relocated the joint with a broken ankle.  I would however be quite surprised because a first time dislocation still has strong ligaments and tendons and you need to pull it apart to put it back together.  I dislocated my little finger playing touch rugby <dont ask> and that was no small job popping it back in.  Whatever it would have smarted a bit !  :-[

Rob.

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
That must have been extremely painful. When I broke and dislocated my ankle, I was taken to A&E where I was given Morphine while they reset my ankle.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
One word springs to mind - ouch  :o

angry climber

• Account Closed
I dislocated my shoulder in an accident. I had to be given pain relief and a sedative to allow the doctor to get the joint back in place. Three attempts were unsuccessful because the muscle around my shoulder was stopping him from getting the joint into the right place. My shoulder remained weaker for at least a year or so later. I don't think I could have done it myself.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
A dislocation and a break can occur at the same time. They are different as mentioned above.

The guy might have had a fracture and reduced it - meaning put it into an alignment so it is no longer at an odd angle - this is what is done in A+E before they plaster you up.

A dislocation can be extremely painful even after you have reduced it (put it back) it depends on how much damage has been done to the soft tissues during the dislocation. The ease of putting it back depends on the location (which joint) the position it is in and how much spasm is in the muscles. Sometimes easy, sometimes you have to knock the patient out while doing it. Shoulders can disclocate forwards, backwards and downwards for example and each has their own problems, sometimes the main problem is not the dislocation per se but the resulting nerve damage.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Having had a fracture & dislocation of my ankle I remember being told at the time that it is unusual to just manage to dislocate your ankle without a tibia and/or fibula fracture too.
I knew something was wrong as my foot was pointing 90 degrees to the left instead of being in line with my knee and yes it did hurt! That old guy must be hard as nails, the paramedic put my foot back round the right way while I was lying on the pavement high as a kite on gas and air holding the postmans hand!! It was then off to hospital to have the broken bit fixed, needed an open reduction-i.e operation to fix the broken bits back together with a metal plate which is still in situe.
Enjoy every sandwich

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy